Oil in coolant

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

teaguespeed
First Gear

Oil in coolant

Post by teaguespeed »

Ok, so for a long time, i have been getting a ton of oil in my coolant overflow tank. Its pretty gross. What could be the cause of this?
'99 Impreza L 2.2 powa!

"If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style."
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Head gasket? :(
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

You sure its not transmission fluid?
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Oil - head gasket or cracked head

transmission fluid - transmission cooler in radiator

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
teaguespeed
First Gear

Post by teaguespeed »

it definitely could be the transmission oil i guess. its just very murky and brown.

i have an oil cooler off a mororcycle, how difficult would it be to slap it on there and rerout the transmission oil to that?
'99 Impreza L 2.2 powa!

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

If it was leaking into the coolant and you bypass it then coolant would leak out.
teaguespeed
First Gear

Post by teaguespeed »

ciper wrote:If it was leaking into the coolant and you bypass it then coolant would leak out.

hmmm... yeah i thought of that, but i'd rather have a small leak of coolant than oil in the coolant. Could the cooler benefit the transmission?
'99 Impreza L 2.2 powa!

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Yeah! Ive added a transmission cooler to many cars. You should flush your coolant, drive around for a while and then get it either analyzed (I think blackstone can do it) or get the coolant sniffed.
snowjob
Second Gear

Post by snowjob »

Option 3 is to go to a wrecker and pull a rad from a turbo car for $35...but I'm just being a smartass, as I'm sure you've already explored this option.
04 modified XT
99 LGT Limited
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

If you fit an external transmission cooler couldn't you cap off the ATF lines on the radiator after cleaning it out? You'd get a little coolant pooling down there but it might be okay, right?

There's another possibility we didn't consider -- your oil cooler may have developed a leak.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
teaguespeed
First Gear

Post by teaguespeed »

snowjob wrote:Option 3 is to go to a wrecker and pull a rad from a turbo car for $35...but I'm just being a smartass, as I'm sure you've already explored this option.
actually i havn't :) ...
'99 Impreza L 2.2 powa!

teaguespeed
First Gear

Post by teaguespeed »

vrg3 wrote:If you fit an external transmission cooler couldn't you cap off the ATF lines on the radiator after cleaning it out? You'd get a little coolant pooling down there but it might be okay, right?

There's another possibility we didn't consider -- your oil cooler may have developed a leak.
what oil cooler?

good idea with capping off the lines.
'99 Impreza L 2.2 powa!

THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

the one between your oil filter and the engine block., unless you have a later year engine in your car.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
teaguespeed
First Gear

Post by teaguespeed »

THAWA wrote:the one between your oil filter and the engine block., unless you have a later year engine in your car.
i had no idea there was an oil cooler in my car, sounds like something i wouldnt know what to look for. so i can get some kind of test to tell if its transmission fluid or oil? how much would that cost me?
'99 Impreza L 2.2 powa!

THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

or you can try taking it off the next time you do an oil change and test it for leaks that way :D
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

Are you constantly adding engine oil, or Tranny fluid? There's your source. I have the same problem, it's coming from the engine, ends up floating on top in the coolant resevoir. More shows up when I drive it hard.
One thing; this will quickly destroy your coolant hoses, they are oil intolerant... I've replaced ALL of them twice now. You'll know it's time when they swell up like overdone pasta, and your big rad. hose breaks and strands you somewhere. KEEP A SPARE SET of rad. hoses with you until you fix the oil problem. It costs $180 for the fullset of hoses from Subaru.

I replaced my turbocharger w/ a WRX td-05 in hopes it would fix the leak, (it's liquid cooled, ya know?) no dice. My next step is the oil cooler. The cooler is what the oil filter screws onto, an aluminum box w/ small coolant hoses running to it.... a misnomer, really, it's a heat exchanger.
If that doesn't help, looks like I'm facing a headgasket job....at least it's an opportunity to get the heads worked over! What puzzles me is there's never coolant in the oil, which was the case on my old 4-Runner when the head gasket went bad on it.
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen