An OEM oil filter on a '92?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

luckylouie
In Neutral

An OEM oil filter on a '92?

Post by luckylouie »

Upon inspection of my recently bought '92 L Wagon 2.2 5MT AWD, I notice that the oil filter has not only the Purolator logo but also the inscriptions "Fuji Heavy Industries" (Subaru's parent company).
I assume that means the part is OEM and, as far as I know, you can only get OEM parts at a Subaru dealer (correct me if I am wrong).
For a car with 122K miles, that may be either good news (the previous owner had the vehicle serviced at authorized dealers) or bad news (the oil filter not been changed in quite a while).
Obviously, I've checked the oil level and viscosity (they are fine) and there are no leaks.
I just wonder if it is possible to tell how old an oil filter is (by the serial number or any other way).

Louie
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

is the bottom part of the filter still flat or is it round/pushed out? If it's pushed out it's hella old. How's the oil look? Can you contact the seller and find out? you ought to go ahead and go an oil/filter change anway. Can't hurt anyhting but your wallet :)
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

cut it open and see how much particulate has been filtered out. I imagine that if it was teh orig there'd be some nastiness inside.

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

It's probably just a filter bought from the dealer. I wouldn't let the fact that it's an OEM filter worry you. Of course, any time you buy a used car without service records I say it's a good idea to chance as many fluids and filters as you have the money for.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212