A/C, Vent, Heat, Def

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Finn1
In Neutral

A/C, Vent, Heat, Def

Post by Finn1 »

When it is warm the vent is stuck in "def/heat" setting. May have to drive 20+ miles with A/C blowing cold air before the system switches to "vent, A/C".

Anybody have same experience and know causes?
If it isn't broke, fix it 'til it is!
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Mine does it when the weather turns from cold to hot (no idea why its fine in winter, though I am thankful!). I think the actuators get gummed up a little.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... light=vent

Mine still acts up even after doing what I did......I believe it's actually the soldering on the board. If I get around to pullin the dash apart again I'll either swap out the hvac unit for another or solder the stuff on the board.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Mine gets like its stuck ubtil I hit a bump ir something and it swuitches positions.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
petridish38
Second Gear

Post by petridish38 »

Mine would stick on "AC" even when i had it on "MAX AC". If I switched between "AC" and "MAX AC" a few times, if it felt like it it might change to "MAX AC".

One day when i had the HVAC controls out, I discovered that if I positioned the plug just the right way it would work fine... so now i have some elctrical tape, a zip tie, and some other odds and ends in there to hold the connector in just the right spot. Has worked fine ever since!!

This could be causing the same problem that you guys are having.

If you can gain access to the conenctor in the back while it is stuck on whatever setting it gets stuck on, try moving the connector in the back around and see if the vent suddenly moves to the correct position.

Andrew
1990 Legacy LS Sedan FWD NA MT
209,000 miles!
2002 Impreza WRX Sport Wagon
http://www.myspace.com/petridish38
http://www.cardomain.com/id/petridish38
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

andrew......it's what I said.....the pins on the board get de-soldered and holding it at a certain position pretty much fixes it. I tried doin that with mine.....works for the most part.......but occasionally screws up.

If you hit on the dash above the hvac controls, it will typically fix things.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Mine is doing this too.

I was going to pull out my HVAC unit and re-solder the connections and replace the switches with ones form a '94 HVAC unit.

BTW, they switched electrical connectors between '91 an '94, otherwise I'd just switch out the entire unit with the '94 one.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

IronMonkeyL255 wrote: BTW, they switched electrical connectors between '91 an '94, otherwise I'd just switch out the entire unit with the '94 one.
True that. Pre and Post facelift HVAC units are not the same. The one harness plug is not interchangeable

Andrew

16 Outback - wife's daily
95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
93 White SS "Angel": 4EAT to 5MT 550 Robtune !SOLD!
̶9̶2̶ ̶W̶i̶n̶e̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶S̶S̶ ̶5̶M̶T̶ R.I.P.