Temp sensor swap out

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

musketeerracing
First Gear

Temp sensor swap out

Post by musketeerracing »

Ummm, I know this is a basic question but I searched and found nothing. And I know i should know better, especially where thread sealant is concerned, but.....

...has anyone had a problem swapping the temp sensor on a 1990 NA legacy WITHOUT partially draining the coolant? Can I just swap it out with my finger on the dyke, as it were?

ACP
ACP
www.musketeerracing.com
1991 Legacy SS 5MT Rally car (sold)
1993 Legacy SS 5MT Street car (selling)
1997 Lancer Evo IV RS Rally car (sold)
2006 Lancer Evo IX RS Rally car
2009 Lancer Evo X RS Rally car
1989 240SX SR20 Drift car
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

You should be able to swap it without draining the coolant, I think. It's fairly close to the top of the cooling system (I think only the IAC valve and throttle body are higher) so coolant won't drain out too fast.

You don't use thread sealant with the sensor. You just have to make sure the mounting surface is clean on both the sensor and the water manifold, and make sure you're using a new annealed copper washer in between them.

I think a 19mm deep-well socket fits properly onto the sensor. I think I also used a u-joint extension to make it easier to reach on my turbo. I don't have a torque spec; I just tightened it until I felt the copper gasket crush.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
musketeerracing
First Gear

Post by musketeerracing »

Ah. Good advice, then. The Haynes manual says to use sealant but in practice I will defer to you that the washer will suffice. Cool. So to speak.

ACP
ACP
www.musketeerracing.com
1991 Legacy SS 5MT Rally car (sold)
1993 Legacy SS 5MT Street car (selling)
1997 Lancer Evo IV RS Rally car (sold)
2006 Lancer Evo IX RS Rally car
2009 Lancer Evo X RS Rally car
1989 240SX SR20 Drift car
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

you should use some form of sealant.......or again...that's what I read.....I just used some teflon tape......
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I disagree... the threads are not meant to seal; the gasket is. You wouldn't put Teflon tape on an oil drain plug or a brake line banjo bolt, would you?

The threads are very large and coarse; they're not pipe threads and they're just meant to anchor the sensor in place and provide clamping against the copper gasket.

It probably won't hurt anything to use Teflon tape as long as you apply the tape right, though, I guess.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212