Could someone tell me where to get a crank key online.

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

boosted5speed
In Neutral

Could someone tell me where to get a crank key online.

Post by boosted5speed »

I had the same pulley problem as so many other people, i need to order a new crank key, any suggestions for an online place to order one from?
Any suggestions/weblinks would be appreciated , ty everybody
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

if a new one isn't an absolut necessity, then i think i have and extra in my garage, it'd be something like 35 cents postage.

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

I found mine, it is slightly rounded on one edge, but still works fine. I'd been using it for a long time.

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
boosted5speed
In Neutral

Post by boosted5speed »

hrm thanks for the offer man, but i dont think the one i used (the original one) will be coming out anytime soon, its in there with LOTS of jbweld and its holding pretty well with the new crank pulley :D appreciate it much :o
DOA
First Gear

Post by DOA »

Find an engineering workshop and ask them to make one for you. It shouldnt cost you more than a pint.
If only I hadnt bought the bike, this would feel fast :P
houseofmiller
In Neutral

Post by houseofmiller »

I bought a new woodruff key for my Legacy at Lowes. I checked AutoZone and they had an assortment but none of them were quite right. I knew Lowes had some so I went and looked and I found one that matched about 99%. I figure that is close enough. I don't know if they are automotive grade but the way I understand it is if the key is the right size and everything else is in good shape, there is not that much pressure on the woodruff key- it's a part of the system and all parts have their function.
Chris Miller
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

You actually don't want one too strong anyway. At least most of the time, they're designed as the weak point so they shear and save more important parts from damage. At least that's the idea.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Enlighten me here... crank key? To what does this refer to? is this the thing where we have to make sure our crank bolts are torqued to 110 ft/lbs or else? (or else what? ...exactly.)

:?
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

The crank key locates the pulley on the crankshaft and keeps it spinning with the crank. If the pulley is not tightened enough the crank bolt can work loose and the pulley come off if you're lucky, taking your crankshaft with as the key tears out of the keyway it if you're not.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

OK I gotcha... thanks. I figured thats what this post was about but was jus a lil confoosed about the terminology.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

If you guys already didn't know there is a company called mcmaster carr. They have any and EVERYTHING you could ever need to micky mouse something mechanical. Also, you dont need to be a dealer to order and they have their full catolog online.

-Mike
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

They also ship very quickly, too. I always get things next or two day - that's their standard shipping.

Steve
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

They have a warehouse out of New Jersey so for me and you it would be one day ;)
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
BADWGN
In Neutral

Post by BADWGN »

bro i just found that shiz out. i got lucky. real lucky. pulley didnt come off, just went crooked and got stuck on cam covers... i was at standstill when it happened, so i guess u can call me lucky.

im needing new harmonic balancer, pulley, few seals, belts, im doing the timing belt while im there, adjusters, and its all happening for about 600 NZD so im pretty stoked, i was expecting much worse, thats cos i got a good mechanice thank god.

more news to come...
90 Legacy GT Wagon
Low, Midnight Blue on Mak Stings
MSN : muz_is@hotmail.com