Transfer Clutch Unit?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

mark10t
In Neutral

Transfer Clutch Unit?

Post by mark10t »

I'm glad to discover this new resource. I've been a member on the similarly useful SVX Club site regarding my '94 SVX.

I just picked up a '94 Subaru Legacy Touring (Turbo) Wagon for use as a utility vehicle. (I had a '91 Legacy Turbo Sport Sedan previous to the SVX, so I 'know' the vehicle.) I've refreshed the suspension with new KYB struts, brakes and two new front axles (3 of 4 boots 'hatched'!) and upgraded all the bodily fluids with Mobil 1 synthetics.

I've since discovered that the traction clutch unit isn't working (no RWD) and I need to fix it. An SVX friend is changing out her SVX to a 5MT- the original transmission has a bad front diff. She has offered the transmission/traction clutch assembly at little or no cost, but I need to have assurance that the assembly is 'swappable' from the SVX. I know of at least one SVX that has a Legacy transmission in it, so they must be virtually identical with only a few minor differences. Does anyone have experience with these?

Any expert advice out there?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

-Mark
Last edited by mark10t on Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
'94 Subaru SVX LSi
'94 Subaru Touring Wagon
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

well i dont think there's any doubt that the tranny's are interchangeable, but the parts inside might not be. If it were me, I'd try to find out if the legacy front differential would mate up to the svx transmission. Also you should check out the ratio's. Are you sure it's the actual clutch assembly that's messed up and not just the solenoid? Duty solenoid C i believe.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
mark10t
In Neutral

Post by mark10t »

The most typical failure I hear is for the solenoid to fail and then the clutch is permanently engaged. I've heard that it can get 'stuck' the other way ('on'?), but I won't know anything until I get it apart. It just seemed easier to try to 'swap' the assemblies rather than try to utilize components.

-Mark
'94 Subaru SVX LSi
'94 Subaru Touring Wagon
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

gotcha
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
totech
Second Gear

Post by totech »

Have you looked for a problem, perhaps a short in the FWD fuse area?
08 GE - SWP
96 BG - SGP
96 CX - EBP
mark10t
In Neutral

Post by mark10t »

Already thought of that and checked. No fuse in the FWD connector.

-Mark
'94 Subaru SVX LSi
'94 Subaru Touring Wagon