So you all think drifting is fun, huh?

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

So you all think drifting is fun, huh?

Post by entirelyturbo »

This happened a few weeks ago and I tried to get some pictures, but I didn't have a chance...

I was very angry about something, and when I'm angry, I drive very aggressively. It was raining rather hard, and when I turned left onto a one-way street, I just gunned it. I have AWD mind you, and I felt little power going to the front wheels. My engine redlined as my rear wheels sent me out of control. I skimmed across the side of a parked car with my front bumper...

You could say that I am an inexperienced driver, and I won't argue with you. I am only 18...

But come insurance bill time, I will have racked myself up a pretty big bill for a stupid drifting lesson...

Just want to warn you guys before you go do something as stupid as I did...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

Shit happens. I can't say I've never made a mistake in my car before either. I'm now 24 and have learned a few lessons. I only hope the person who's car you hit was notified. I'm not saying you wouldn't or didn't contact the owner of the car, I am just a little defensive these days since my fiancee's '00 RS got hit in front of our apartment complex. The F*cker didn't leave a note or anything. She's going to be out her $250 deductible now and it's a huge PITA. Just learn from your mistakes and hope for the best.

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
STi_GUY
First Gear

Post by STi_GUY »

Dont beat yourself up too much about lessons learned in the world of traffic. Its easy to get too agressive when angry. Last time it happened to me, I ended up with a messed up air suspension :? . Oh well, the good news is that I have an excuse to get some AGX's and replace the whole godforsaken system :lol: . Good stuff.
Cody
1994 Legacy Ti Wagon (Estate)
2.4L of N/A fury :)
Awesome vendor: http://home.att.net/~teaguesauto/index.htm
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

I do drifts only in places where I won't damage my car or other property. Ie. big parking lots. Or on places like subdividions where I can see if anything's coming around the corner, and If I do screw up I'll at worst hit into a snowbank. Do fun stuff but be cautious at the same time :D

Mark,
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

All I can say is you now have A VERY GOOD REASON TO AUTOCROSS.

If you did either:

You would have been able to correct and regain control

You wouldnt have got sideways in the first place

Not only do you become a better driver but you also have more fun
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Thanks, guys. I don't feel as much like a dumb-ass anymore :lol: !
eastbaysubaru wrote:I only hope the person who's car you hit was notified.
I made it a point to do that. I feel the same way you do. I would feel really bad if someone else had to suffer unnecessarily because of my stupidity.

Actually the police were so enamored that I actually stayed that I didn't even get a citation! :o
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

It happens. I love drifting, but the more I do it, the more I learn my lessons. Everyone learns eventually that it will never be totally predictable. At least you've learned your lesson without anyone getting hurt. Now, go enter some autocrosses and rallycrosses and enjoy it next time!
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

You can never over-estimate practice either. Everytime there is a good snow on the ground you have to get your butt out there that night to practice before those pesky plow trucks come by and other people try to drive on the roads. I got pretty awesome at drifting in my 4wd Brat which is a little more predictable than Awd (linear NA engine, also).

But when I see my friends try to recreate some of the tricks I would show them, I sort of have to yell at them and remind them that they haven't put in the HOURS of practice to try that stuff (especially on an inferior drivetrain).

Lastly, I would definitely stay away from hitting boost around corners on wet pavement or any fast, slick surface (near traffic). I read rally articles talking about what happens with the weight transfer, lag, boost, and center differential interactions on a corner... they pretty much say leave that to the pros. Unless you wanna fit an anti-lag system and get new headers every couple of months to slightly lessen the drastic effects of hitting boost so late in corners like that.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
GizMo22t
First Gear

Re:

Post by GizMo22t »

All i have to say is I have been there. But my Accident was in a FWD boosted honda. I tryed to pass a car on the inside of a corner. The corner had just been sprayed with the ice melt. The road was skick and i couldn't tell. I was going at a speed of 40MPH lost control, tryed to slow down so I didn't hit the car beside me. Slamed into the curb. $1500 worth in damage. I got the car fixed Bought a subaru and now i'm here.
What i'm trying to say is somethings happen for a reason. Oddly enough the car on the inside i was trying to pass was of all things a scooby AWD wagon. Now I have one. :lol: That is my story for today

Mo