Rear sways when hitting bumps

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Lunatic728
In Neutral

Rear sways when hitting bumps

Post by Lunatic728 »

On my (new) 90' Legacy wagon I have found that when I hit a bump the rear end seems to sway. It is not a good feeling .

I got the car up on ramps and everything seems to be in order, then of course I am used to working on Jeeps. The swaybar is attached and seems tight.

I do have the air ride suspention (I think) I have a hieght button on the dash that does squat. I checked the tire pressure (one was at 60psi) and got them all to 32 PSI.

I am lost with this problem and I hoping I can fix it
90' Jeep Cherokee with 5.5"RE lift and some goodies

90' Subaru Legacy wagon My new project
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Does the car sit unusually low? Is the ride harsh?

The air suspension is usually considered to be crap, mostly because if it still works, it won't for long, and it fit doesn't, you could buy another car for the price of replacement air struts.

The solution to this, and more than likely to your problem, is to acquire a complete set of front and rear struts from a donor car. See some of the other threads in the forum about this.

Dave
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
warlord
In Neutral

Post by warlord »

me thinks it could be the alignment.
as I am an alignment techi, i have set my car up to be very stable at high speed, and at low speed it "bump steers" not too badly, but it is noticeable
1994 Subaru Legacy GT.
2.0 twin turbo, 5mt

13.2 sec quarter
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Id check the alignment first too.

btw You should have already started sourcing the parts for a conversion away from air suspension.
stant093
Voluntarily Dismissed

Post by stant093 »

mine did the same thing, i replied to your other post over at ultimatesubaru too....

you should check your struts, i have a bad front passenger side one, and a bad driverside rear one, causing the car to wobble when i hit bumps....maybe thats your prob? i checked all my bushings and sway bars nothing cracked or bent, just bad struts.... :roll:
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Weird, I hit edit and it made two posts!
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

it sounds like rear toe out.
warlord
In Neutral

Post by warlord »

no, sounds like a typical toe problem, if your toe is out it will sway, check your tyres if it's sharp on the outside, (running hand backward on tyre) it's a toe in problem the opposet if it's a toe out problem.
1994 Subaru Legacy GT.
2.0 twin turbo, 5mt

13.2 sec quarter