Which would you choose?

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Which would you choose?

Post by DLC »

Ok, i'm shopping for a new(er) car, and i'm kinda stuck right now. I'm looking at a BD and BE right now, but i'm not sure what to do...

Candidate #1:
  1. 98 GT Sedan
    Black
    5MT
    local seller
    $9k
    98 GT
Candidate #2
  1. 2000 GT Sedan
    Silver
    5MT
    Intake and suspension work
    In Reno, NV (600 mi away)
    $12k
    00 GT
The 98 has a Phase I EJ25, with a lot of miles. A lot of the mods i have on the TW will fit on this, including suspension parts. It's local, so i can just go take a look at it this afternoon if i wanted to.

The 00 is a Phase II, which has better power and a LOT less miles. It also has a rear LSD from the factory and is a newer model, with all of the aesthetic updates that implies. Reno isn't too far away, but it still makes it a pain.

If the engine in the 98 went, i could go boostjunkies' route and replace it with a Phase II, but that would immediately match the price of the 00, with no rear lsd, two years older, etc...

What would you buy?
Last edited by DLC on Fri May 07, 2004 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

00 gt. if you have the money, may as well get a newer platform with less than half the miles of the other.
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

No question, the 2k. It's already got suspension work done, so that shouldn't be a factor (plus, you can sell your TW stuff).
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

BAC5.2 wrote:No question, the 2k. It's already got suspension work done, so that shouldn't be a factor (plus, you can sell your TW stuff).
I have a feeling DLCs suspension work on the TW exceeds the suspension work done on the 2K, but I could be wrong. I say 98. I always loved the body style, and all of the suspension parts from your TW will fit on it!

The 2K might have more low end grunt, but it's HEAVIER. That alone means that mods of any sort will have less end result, typically (yes, there are possible exceptions in the suspension realm).

FWIW, the phase 2 engines were not exactly reliable in their own right. They have also fallen victim to the headgasket issues (external vs. internal on the phase 1s).

Why are you gettin rid of the TW anyways?!?!?!?
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

Because he's a big fat stupid head.
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

I've actually been considering a fall back to a more compliant suspension for some time, but pretty much everything else would go to the 98.

The 2K is heavier, and does have a bit better torque curve, but it's also a newer chassis and better interior.

I have seen that the Phase IIs are not infallible, but the mileage is pretty important, and it should still be covered under the 60k mile warranty for another 16k miles if anything goes south.

The TW is getting old, and i'm not compelled to start fixing all of the things that are or will be going out on it in the forseeable future. I've spent an incredible amount of money on it already, not so much that i'd call it a money pit, but i've had enough.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

I see your reasoning behind purchasing the 2k. It does, however, seem like your decision's already made.

I know what you mean about sinking money into a car. I was constantly fixing my turbo legacy . . . I would've kept goin with it for how ever long my maintenance fixes lasted, honestly. But then the accident happened and I was forced to get rid of it. But I can see your draw to gettin a newer car, FWIW, now that I have a newer ride.

But why not keep the TW as a "wrencher". It seems odd to be on a BC-BF legacy board who's creator doesn't even have a BC-BF!! :roll: :shock: :P
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Almost as odd as a "boostjunkie" who doesn't have a turbo car.. ;)
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

I frequently haven't made up my mind AFTER i've made my purchase! :D

I can't justify owning two cars and a motorcycle. It's too much "stuff". I would almost feel bad letting it sit around and only being driven occasionally, like my motorcycle...

I'm more than likely going to sell the bike sooner than later.

Things change, people change, but i still want a Legacy.
Legacy Central
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

BAC5.2 wrote:Almost as odd as a "boostjunkie" who doesn't have a turbo car.. ;)
Touche! :P
DLC wrote:I frequently haven't made up my mind AFTER i've made my purchase! :D

I can't justify owning two cars and a motorcycle. It's too much "stuff". I would almost feel bad letting it sit around and only being driven occasionally, like my motorcycle...

I'm more than likely going to sell the bike sooner than later.

Things change, people change, but i still want a Legacy.
Again, I can see your reasoning. At the moment I'm glad I'm driving a celica . . . until the time vikash gets that car on the road and I'm wishing to have it back. At that point, I'll really regret sellin it. :(

And then, of course, there's always the 2005 turbo legacy :twisted:

*tryin to find things to barter with*

legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Um, wow, I would rather see you keep the TW but if you have to sell it then I say look at the facts. 1st car is a '98 with 114k miles and is stock. 2nd car is a '00 with 44k miles with intake and suspension mods and is only 3k more.? Although I like the styling of the '98 a bit better it doesn't even seem like a choice to me. Take the '00. Just my .02 =)
At least you're looking at Subarus and they're even Legacy's. :D
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

My bro's got an '00 GT Dave. He really likes it, as do I. It's got a really comfy interior and it's also bigger than our cars. Since the suspension's already been worked on, I think it's a much better choice. The low mileage also makes it a little more attractive IMHO. The only downside is that it is heavier than any previous Legacy.

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Dave, don't sell out. How much do you think it's going to cost to fix up the TW? I really doubt it's gonna be $9k or $12k. If you fix everything that you think is wrong with the TW, and spend about $2k, then you will still have the turbo power, the BC/BF reputation for durability, and still be a proper admin for this board ;)

I personally would not spend $12,000 to get rid f a car that has $2000 worth of problems.

Remember, I'm driving around a Legacy 2 years older than yours, same mileage, and not even turbo, and I'm happy as a pig eatin slop 8)
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

Dave,
Get the '98. I think it is such a better looking car. The suspension work on the 00 is meaningless since you already have your BF stuff to transfer over. The Phase I engine is not a WEAK engine. The biggest problems with it show up when it is boosted. All of the EJ25's have a head gasket issue. I am sure you are aware that there are currently no Cobb headers for the 00? And who knows when they will finish them. They do have them for the '98. The power differences between the EJ251 and EJ254 are pretty negligible when you add mods. They will both hit 200CHP with bolts ons and both hit 230chp if built. And LSD's cost $300 or so. Don't make that a deal breaker. I am sure I could come up with more reasons, but personally it wouldn't even be a decision. My EJ22T build is going into a 1998 Legacy GT wagon by the end of the year. I just think they are the best looking cars Subaru has ever made...
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
teaguespeed
First Gear

Post by teaguespeed »

I barely missed getting a 97 gt with 81k miles for 8400, just a couple weeks ago :(
'99 Impreza L 2.2 powa!

"If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style."