MAF sensor up grade

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

MAF sensor up grade

Post by NICO »

i am just wondering if there is a up grade i can do.

As i walk threw a junk yard i see all these maf sensors all over the place they look all most the same as our turbo legacys, some of them have the same conectors and shape and style.

Is it possible to get one from a v8 car and wire it up to work on our cars it looks so easy, would it make more power, or will i blow up my ecu.
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

didn't vrg do something like this with a gm maf or something?
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

THAWA, you may be thinking of my replacing the stock MAP sensor with a Chrysler MAP sensor...

Nico, it doesn't really make any sense to use a MAF sensor other than stock with the stock ECU. The sensor and ECU are a matched pair.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

you guys post fast, so its not worth it then i was just thinking cuz they look the same, so it wont work and dont waste time and money on this
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

vrg3 u change the map sensor did it give you more power

where is the map sensor.

i got a extra ecu and maf sensor for my car, is there a place i can send it to get me more power
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Nowhere can you send your MAF to get you more power. The MAF simply measures the amount of air that goes through (actually, the hot-wire setup measures voltage to keep a wire at a certain temperature.)

The only worthwhile upgrade to the metering system would be a speed-density conversion (MAP based metering). It's not really better, well it has its advantages, but it's just more flexible and it bases fuel trims off of the same exact information that the ECU sees, rather than converting a voltage and "guessing."

I don't know that you could convert to Speed Density with the stock ECU though.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Nico, the Chrysler MAP sensor is just a cheaper alternative to the stock sensor. It's not better in any way. This is the writeup I did of it:

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~v/chrysler_map/

You could convert to speed density with the stock ECU if you really wanted to, but the amount of electronic complexity would be similar to that of a standalone ECU installation, since you'd still have to create a map of the engine's volumetric efficiencies at various manifold pressures and temperatures, and you'd still have to modify the map any time VE changed at all.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

wow vrg3 u are good, so if i change it over to that map sensor what will it do, does it give you more gas more power.

i red all your right up but i ant good with electrical so if i dont make cents let me no.
czo79
Second Gear

Post by czo79 »

emanage can change you over to map I believe...
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Nico - It won't make you any more power at all. It justs costs less, so if your stock MAP sensor breaks you might consider using the Chrysler part instead of buying a new Subaru part.

czo97 - An e-Manage has about the same complexity as a standalone ECU. :)
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

ok i was think i was going to get more power, but thanks vrg3 thats some good info to no,

thats $400 american it would be about $600 hundred canadian,

ya that whould hurt the bank flow
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

in case you haven't gotten Vikash's hints Nico... you need to look into going stand-alone. you will make massive power with just a little tuning and take those nitrous guys out left and right.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

NICO I WRX U wrote:wow vrg3 u are good, so if i change it over to that map sensor what will it do, does it give you more gas more power.

i red all your right up but i ant good with electrical so if i dont make cents let me no.
Nico... do you spell that way on purpose? It makes your posts really hard to read, and it makes you sound stupid. I've worked my way through some of your posts (with great difficulty) and I know you are not stupid.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

it just happens, not good with spelling and paragraph makeing
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

he doesn't freakin speak english as a first language, how hard is that to understand? :? imagine how your spelling and structure would look on a german bbs. :roll:

give the guy a break.

and Nico.... stand-alone... the only two words you need to think about now. everything else will pale in comparison if you get some good fuel maps in your car.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

Brat4by4 wrote:he doesn't freakin speak english as a first language, how hard is that to understand? :? imagine how your spelling and structure would look on a german bbs. :roll:

give the guy a break.
Hey, break given. No offense intended. We all know people who write that way on purpose, it was just frustrating me. Apologies to Nico.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Sorry to sound stupid here:

vrg3 - what you did was just switch from a Subaru MAP sensor to a 'Mini-Mopar' MAP sensor, correct? Then your ECU is still using the MAF sensor to determine fueling, right?

I'm just trying to figure this out.

What does the MAP sensor do on our cars? I didn't even realize we had one until reading this thread.....
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

IronMonkeyL255 wrote:vrg3 - what you did was just switch from a Subaru MAP sensor to a 'Mini-Mopar' MAP sensor, correct?
Well, I also added a signal conditioner so that the signal from the Mini Mopar sensor would match the stock sensor's signal.
Then your ECU is still using the MAF sensor to determine fueling, right?
Primarily, yes.
What does the MAP sensor do on our cars? I didn't even realize we had one until reading this thread.....
Well, it's technically not just a Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor; it's a pressure sensor used to measure both manifold pressure and atmospheric pressure.

I know for sure of two uses the ECU has for the pressure sensor's signal: 1) to compensate for altitude (this includes any fuel/ignition changes as well as increasing boost), and 2) to detect an overboost condition so the ECU can cut fuel as a safety measure.

I do not know for sure whether or not the ECU also uses manifold pressure inputs when deciding how rich to make the fuel mixture and how much to retard ignition timing.
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Cool.

I was just making sure I understood what you had done.

Do you think there would be any way to force the ECU to use a MAP sensor instead of the MAF sensor? Maybe a signal converter to get it to 'read' the pressure as being the same as the airflow?
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

you no what there is to many sensors in this car to fool around them,

id have no clue where to start with stand alone, then id have to get a laptop plus the stand alone, i think i would blow the motor in a week, how about a chip or a flashing of the ecu.

i got a 88 323 gtx, this guy lived 2hrs away in another city, he sells every where in the world, i got a ecu from him i pluged it in my mazda wow it was like the missing pice. anyone no of anyone that has one for a legacy turbo 91
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

vrg3 you are good at eletronics can you help me hook back up my hks super afr

i put it back on and it wont work right, i mixed up a couple of wires on the map sensor and tps sensor. i am going to right down the way i have them you correct me cuz i dont no its trickey stuff.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

IronMonkeyL555 - You could generate a synthetic airflow signal if you wanted. Like I said, though, it'd be similar in complexity to an aftermarket ECU. You'd need to install a pressure sensor that only reads from the manifold (unless you weren't planning on exceeding 2 bars absolute pressure and you wanted the fuel mixture to get screwy whenever the ECU was sampling barometric pressure like old Chrysler turbos did). Then you'd need to install a manifold absolute temperature sensor. Then you'd need to make a controller that reads in the tach signal (to compute RPM), the MAP signal, and the MAT signal, and looks up the engine's volumetric efficiency in a table, and then runs the airflow through the inverse of the MAF sensor's transfer function. Then all you'd have to do is fill in the table of VEs.

Nico - You're right that a standalone ECU is an easy way to destroy the motor, since you need a lot of skill and experience to tune it.

Right now there's no aftermarket plug-in ECU for our cars. Yet.

If you really want to do it right though you might consider hiring someone who knows what he's doing to help you install and/or tune an aftermarket standalone ECU.

If you write down everything you did and can get me a copy of the AFR's manual, I'll try to figure out if it's right or not.
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

So it's do-able, but not practical.

Now I wonder how long I can go before having to go stand-alone......

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

vrg3 this is what it tells me to do, i must find the throttle position signal wire and tap in to it, this is where it gets crazy

1. it tells me to tap in to the cut pressure sensor/ air flow signal wire
connect the yellow safr wire to the portion of wire going to the factroy ecu (afs output).

2. then connect the white safr wire to the portion of wire poing away from the ecu (afs input)

3. then when i do all that it asks for this
hot wire (0-5v) off off
hot wire (5-0v) on off
karmen vortex off on
pressure sensor on on

4. then it ask if the safr eids function can be set active or inactive via dip switch 3. the eids function is not applicable on speed-density applications and should be switch to off positon
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

it also says to go direct to the ecu u