custom tailighting?

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

TurboLegacy
First Gear

custom tailighting?

Post by TurboLegacy »

anyone got any ideas for some custom looking taillights?
92 legacy turbo 5spd fwd-12 psi, tm intercooler bov, walbro 255.

81 chevy malibu- 400 sb, holley 600, edelbrock rpm, hooker headers, lunati voodoo cam,4spd muncie, 3:73 posi,monte c. swivel buckets, corvette rally wheels
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

You've already got the best taillights there are! :)

All I can say is be careful not to interfere with the taillights' proper function and legality. If nothing else, you don't need to give cops more reason to want to pull you over.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Thankfully, there are no aftermarket tail lights available for the legacy.

You do have the best tails. No orange, just clear.

I still need to pull off my tails and take out that orange peice.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
TurboLegacy
First Gear

Post by TurboLegacy »

yea, they look good, but i want to put partial covers on them, like the ones that have circles cut out of black plastic pieces.
92 legacy turbo 5spd fwd-12 psi, tm intercooler bov, walbro 255.

81 chevy malibu- 400 sb, holley 600, edelbrock rpm, hooker headers, lunati voodoo cam,4spd muncie, 3:73 posi,monte c. swivel buckets, corvette rally wheels
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

You can make them if you have to. Go to a plastics supplier and get a thin smoked acrylic or an equivalent and cut and bend to shape with a heat gun.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Steve - I believe you asked what Kydex was. It's exactly like the plastic you described. Easily molded and bent with heat.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Kydex is a trade mark, isn't it? I don't know its availability, but smoked acrylic should be standard at any plastics supplier. A good one may have scraps at cheap $/lb. I never worked with Kydex anyway, so I'm not familiar with it in terms of forming and how well it would work outdoors. I've used acrylic in design projects, though. This would be tint, though, like those cheap covers they sell in Auto Zone and such - you can get a bunch of plastics in solid colors as well.

Whatever you make it out of, you can use double sided auto trim tape to secure it.

Now that I'm thinking of it, I always wanted to do something cool with mirrored acrylic other than the miniature turntable for my exhibit design's cutaway model. Maybe I could replace the headliner in the back...

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

HAHAHAHAHA, mirrors on the ceiling of a car. Brilliant.

Kydex is trademark. You know the hard vinyl looking material used on luxury airline interiors (like inside Leer jets and private planes?) That's kydex. It's VERY similar to the stock hard plastic dash peices.

www.Kydex.com

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I got the link before. That's exactly what I thought it was. So it seems it's a laminate primarily. I wonder how stiff it is.

Yeah, I would love to pimp a wagon (in the traditional meaning of the word). Shag carpeting, mirrored ceiling, strobe light.

The New Kids on The Block used to buy their Mercedes at a friend of the family's dealer when I was a kid. They had Donny Wallberg's van there for repair (he used to side swipe cars for the hell of it and pay off the owners). He had motorized seats that folded flat to make the whole back a bed for when he'd pick chicks up off the street with the biggest custom subwoofer I've ever seen underneath (about three feet or so diam.). He told everyone the subwoofer could be hooked up to a seperate system to work like a vibrating bed when the seats were flat. New Kids on the Block may've sucked, but that green van was pretty cool.

Steve
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I have always wanted a van like the one in Old School. That thing looks so cool! Shag carpeting everywhere, even the ceiling. With mirrors, and no seats other than the drivers and passengers. Just bean bag chairs and maybe a mattress. Or maybe just some REALLY thick padding under the carpet. Make it like a bedroom on wheels. That'd be amazing.

Kydex is stiff when it's not being molded. It's not soft, that's for damn sure. It's like ABS, only easier to mold and form.

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I feel ABS is easy to use. What about thermal welding, like with plastic rods. That wasn't clear to me.

An old boss of mine said he had a big van in college and never got laid so often in his life - he said chicks loved it. Chicks loved my old wagon, too, and I think it was partly the same reason. Certainly wasn't because it was fast or flash.

Steve
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Note to self: Get a bigass shitty van for getting laid in.

I'm not sure about thermal welding. You could probably get a similar result by "soldering" with plastic instead of solder.

I've never worked with ABS, so I wouldn't know. I JUST started with fiberglass, and it isn't that hard, just takes creativity.

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

TurboLegacy wrote:yea, they look good, but i want to put partial covers on them, like the ones that have circles cut out of black plastic pieces.
Please don't do that. Your taillights were engineered to be visible from a wide variety of azimuths and elevations, and they need their complete optics to do that.

You wouldn't wear glasses with covers blocking everything but the middle of your pupil when facing forwards, would you?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Like those X-Ray specs from back in the day.

If those really worked, imagine the possibilities...

LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

just an update for Vikash... I was driving behind my car about a week ago(had to pick up my cousin's car, and my friend drove my car home) and my turn signals ARE orange when they blink. Slightly darker orange that stock, but not much darker than the orange on the front corners of the 92-94's. It looks hot!
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Bah.

They're still darker, which means they're not as good at doing their job. Ricer.
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

:lol:
"Power is NOTHING without control"
1994 & 2005 Legacy GT Wagons