More silly questions from the newb!

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

elkaboom
First Gear

More silly questions from the newb!

Post by elkaboom »

Okay, so I've replaced my original struts with GR2's and stock replacement springs, but I'm still experiencing more "softness" and body roll than I care to. I know, I know, tires and wheels (I'm still rolling on the original factory alloys 14"s -but with good rubber)... However, before I upgrade my wheelset (which I'm positive is going to be a pain in the ass if I use WRX wheels (size issues), would replacing the end links and bushing with upgraded parts have any signifigance?
I'm still trying to figure out the sway bar, looking at it from underneath the car, it appears that it wouldn't be too big a task to tackle... just to clear the fog on my side: turbo Legacy's use a 22mm bar, correct? As opposed to the 18mm variation on the n/a, that is?
Would this signifigantly reduce body lean and alleviate some of the "squirelyness" of my car's handling characteristics?
I realize wheels and tires are really the best option for a lot of my problems, but instead of dealing with a bunch of little headaches by slapping on WRX wheels, I'm probably just going to buy a set of 16" wheels that are specifically manufactured for my car -thus the suspension countermeasures until such time as I actually have the new wheels.
I realize I probably sound like a complete dork, but I'm working with next to no help (unless you can call a 5 year old handing me the wrong sockets every time I ask him to hand me one) here, and basically, a LOT of trial and error. Fortunately, Fuji Heavy Industries product's can stand up to a lot of user created fudging until I manage to get it right.
That's about it for me. As usual, any suggestions would be most helpful.
Bob
90 Legacy LS AWD n/a -190,000 and going strong!

91 Legacy SS -currently stock and awaiting marginal upgrades (dead) RIP
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Check the antiroll bar bushings. If they're deteriorated you could try replacing them to start. I still say tires and wheels are number one. Something you might want to consider also is a slightly smaller sport steering wheel - sounds minor, but its more than cosmetic. I couldn't believe the difference in driveability and communication with the car.

How is it squirrely? Mine makes a little dance-move wiggle with sudden high-speed moves (like a hesitancy in the weight shift before it takes up a neutral line and cancels any understeer), but I have a wagon with the heavy ass end and 240,000 mile bushings. I don't have any problem from the front or maybe I've just learned to drive around all the problems.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Re: More silly questions from the newb!

Post by ultrasonic »

elkaboom wrote:However, before I upgrade my wheelset (which I'm positive is going to be a pain in the ass if I use WRX wheels (size issues)

. . .

I realize wheels and tires are really the best option for a lot of my problems, but instead of dealing with a bunch of little headaches by slapping on WRX wheels, I'm probably just going to buy a set of 16" wheels that are specifically manufactured for my car
I'm not sure what size issues your talking about with WRX wheels on your car. How many headaches do you expect? Also, I don't know of any other 16" wheels that would be MORE appropriate for your car than WRX or RS wheels.

Make sure you put the appropriate tire size on them and you should be good to go.

Or is there something that I've overlooked on this matter?

By the way, I'm running WRX stockers on my Impreza and RS wheels on my SS.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Do the wheels first.
elkaboom
First Gear

Post by elkaboom »

The "headaches" I refer to would be: speedo miscalibrations, wheel bearing damage, offset issues, etc, etc....
I'll do a search to see if I can root out any other info, but honestly I'm not so sure about this. Hehe, that said, I'm already lookng to buy a set of the WRX wheels... talk about your obsessive personalities :lol:
Bob
90 Legacy LS AWD n/a -190,000 and going strong!

91 Legacy SS -currently stock and awaiting marginal upgrades (dead) RIP
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

elkaboom wrote:The "headaches" I refer to would be: speedo miscalibrations, wheel bearing damage, offset issues, etc, etc....
I'll do a search to see if I can root out any other info, but honestly I'm not so sure about this. Hehe, that said, I'm already lookng to buy a set of the WRX wheels... talk about your obsessive personalities :lol:
You'll only have speedo calibration issues if you use the wrong size tire, regardless of the wheel you use.

I think the WRX and RS wheels have correct offset for the car, so that would eliminate wheel bearing and handling issues.

You certainly won't find anything more cost effective, and not much that will fit as well as Subaru OEM 16" wheels. They are not too heavy and they look pretty good on a BC/BF, in my opinion.

I think you can use them without worry.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I think the wheel bearings are pretty robust. I've driven through water past them and live with snoe and salt and have the original bearings. My wheels also have a slightly less psitive offset than stock.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

WRX wheels have a slightly higher offset than optimal, the wheel is even centered very well without sticking out.

Speedo calibration isnt an issue with 205 50 16 wheels as they are so close that comparing one brand of 14 and 16 could be either larger or smaller.

Wheel bearing damage isnt an issue if you have the latest bearings. 50-55 is the good range for most 6.5 inch wheels.

evolutionmovement: Do you have original bearings on any of the wheels?
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

All my wheel bearings are original and my tires are flush with the bodywork. Just finally replaced the remaining original balljoint and still running the original alternator with absolutely no hesitation or even light dimming.

Steve
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Thats amazing. I know my wagon has been through at least 5 bearings so far.
You must drive like a girl :lol:
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

You'd think that, but my 50,000 mile rated tires usually struggle to pass 20,000. I've done some sliding through the woods, seen over 130 on the speedometer, left foot brake, and slide around alot on ramps.

I use very few electrical accessories at one time whenever possible, so that may help the alternator.

Steve
georgeperez38
In Neutral

Post by georgeperez38 »

Wow. I missed this whole thread. I want to upgrade my rims on my stock 93 Legacy L sedan (FWD). I see some of you talking about putting on the WRX wheels/rims. Is this possible without any additional mods? And buying the 205-50-16 tire would not effect the Speedo? Is all this correct? Sorry if this was covered in another thread, just send me the link. I'd appreciate the info.
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

go to the tirerack's site and look up tires in the size you have now. click on the specs. that will tellyou alot. specifically look at revs per mile. i upgraded my 175/70/14 w/195/55/15 setup. that is very close to stock. handling is awesome. and speedo is not too far off to really matter.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

georgeperez38 wrote:Wow. I missed this whole thread. I want to upgrade my rims on my stock 93 Legacy L sedan (FWD). I see some of you talking about putting on the WRX wheels/rims. Is this possible without any additional mods? And buying the 205-50-16 tire would not effect the Speedo? Is all this correct? Sorry if this was covered in another thread, just send me the link. I'd appreciate the info.
Check out this calculator that allows you to compare two different tire sizes....

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Just put your stock tire size on the left, then try different sizes on the right. The differences will be calculated for you. Diameter, revs per mile, and odometer error is shown.

For a Sport Sedan, at least, the 205/50/16 is closest to the stock size, and it fits perfectly on the WRX wheel. All of which fits nicely on the car.

I think the best value in Subaru OEM "take offs" is the WRX 16x6.5 wheel with lightly used stock tires. Most people don't think highly of the RE92 tires in performance applications, but really they are pretty decent tires for most people in the majority of situations. Considering that you can buy a set (wheels & tires) with less than 5000 miles on them for something less than $100 each is a pretty good deal. If you look at the difference in the going price of a set of WRX wheels only, compared to the same wheels with tires, you see that the tires only cost you $50-$100 for all four. Do the math- $100 tires over, say, 10k miles equals--- cheap tires.

Unfortunately, the stock tire size on a WRX, 205/55/16, is a bit off for the BC/BF. Some choose to run it anyway, if it fits on your car, just for the value of cheap tires. When you run them out, get the correct size.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

Yes, yes and yes. (in response to george)

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT