Dumb question

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Dumb question

Post by Tleg93 »

How long does it take on average and how difficult is it to replace a turbo on a 4eat? I've read through some threads but I must be blind cuz I didn't see anything really that gave any details. If someone could point the way I'd be happy. A friend says it's no small feat to replace a turbo. I think he's wrong but I'm going strictly on hearsay.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

You are replacing it with the same model, or replacing it with another model of turbo ?

that will affect the "time of swap" a lot.
morgie
'98 4Runner V6 Manual 4x4.
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

It would be the same model turbo.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Depends on the bolts. I had a hell of a time on the one in my kitchen - I had to torch them off, but that was before I got an impact wrench.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Replacing a turbo, who're you talking about that with? Is it someone I know? Does that SS you're looking at need a new turbo or something? Details man! I feel left out. +(

I guess I'm all questions and no answers, haha. I haven't ever done a turbo swap ( yet) but I don't think it would be too hard, it may be a little time consuming though....

If everything goes right I might be able to tell you for sure soon though . :twisted:
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

a direct swap should not be too bad. The hardest part is getting the damn exhaust side bolts off. They will be rusted up like a beyotch. If you know what your doing I'm guessing a saturday afternoon will get it done for ya. buy a new up-pipe to turbo gasket and turbo to downpipe gasket also before you begin.

-Mike
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

legacy92ej22t wrote:Replacing a turbo, who're you talking about that with? Is it someone I know? Does that SS you're looking at need a new turbo or something? Details man! I feel left out. +(

I guess I'm all questions and no answers, haha. I haven't ever done a turbo swap ( yet) but I don't think it would be too hard, it may be a little time consuming though....

If everything goes right I might be able to tell you for sure soon though . :twisted:
Having never done it myself I was curious about whether or not it involved anything radical.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS