Light weight pulley's

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Cpt_chood
In Neutral

Light weight pulley's

Post by Cpt_chood »

putting this out there to get your opinions on light weight pulley's, also wanted to know if there where any long term problems with them?
thanks in advance for any reply's
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I ran an underdrive/lightweight pulley since early 2001. Swapped over to a stock size lightweight pulley a couple months ago so I wouldn't have the loss of speed in the alternator & a/c pullies.

I've been told that you're fine running the lightweight pullies if you're making under a certain hp limit. I think it was around 300 or so...may be slightly less.

But in stock form....you'll be fine.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Generally, underdrive pullies are more likely to cause problems than lightweight (but stock diameter) pullies.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
STi_GUY
First Gear

Post by STi_GUY »

I was told that even the lightwieght stock diameter pulleys may cause vibration in the long run. I dont really believe it. I have a stock diameter pully from Mr. Josh. 1.2 lbs. The pulleys are lighter because they do not have a lot of the material used to balance the stock pulleys.

... or so I was told.

p.s. when doing my rebuild, the mechanic wouldn't put on the lightwieght pulley "for liability reasons". What a bunch of crap.
Cody
1994 Legacy Ti Wagon (Estate)
2.4L of N/A fury :)
Awesome vendor: http://home.att.net/~teaguesauto/index.htm