Power door lock failure

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

drive
In Neutral

Power door lock failure

Post by drive »

Well in February 2002 I had a remote start/alarm/powerdoor locks installed in my 91 legacy turbo at a bestbuy (big mistake) :roll:

They informed me that I would need to have an actuator installed. Which was right so I said go ahead and do it. After the install I noticed that to use the power locks I had to push really hard on my driver door lock. So I went back and the installer explained that it will eventually get easier but just give it a month or so. So I did. A few months later the door lock lever broke on me… it just flaps around and does nothing now. I have not gone back to bestbuy to complain because they will most likely just tell me I broke it. I’ve just been using the remote on the power door lock remote to lock my doors until today. BUT now when I try to lock the doors by remote I can hear the actuator kick but the doors do not lock or unlock and you don’t hear the central lock. Anyone have an idea of what might have broken? Also how difficult would it be just to wire in a switch to the actuator? Can anyone explain in detail what I might have to do for that? What kind of switch?

I also forgot to mention that my key will not work in the driver’s door. It’s never worked and I really have not investigated it any further because of the convenience of the remote.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You gotta take off the door panel to see what's up behind there.

What broke, the lock button, or the actual handle that opens the door?

I know what they should have done.....but it doesn't sound like they did it right.

Pull the door panel off, and you should be able to figure out, or at least see what's wrong.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
drive
In Neutral

Post by drive »

the lock broke (not the handle)

What should they have done?

I'll probably look at it on saturday
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

One of the legacy I purchased had this type of setup in it.

Before even changing the oil I ripped that crap out!! Why did you have best buy install it? Someone who is meaner than me would say "you deserve what you got."
drive
In Neutral

Post by drive »

well at that time i knew someone that worked there and had it done after the discount at about $120 for everthing....
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Take the door panel off an see what it looks like.

There's a possibility the rod might have popped off/out of the little plastic clip.

The tension you probably felt was due to the fact they probably didn't get things aligned properly.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm