Sticky Wastegate?

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

mark10t
In Neutral

Sticky Wastegate?

Post by mark10t »

I've started noticing a problem with my '94 Turbo Touring Wagon lately. On occasion I will hear a 'whooshing' sound upon the start of an 'acceleration run' and a loss of power. If I briefly back off on the throttle, it sometimes 'resets' and I get full boost/power. It seemed to me to be a sticky wastegate, but on this forum topic I've now seen reference to a 'wastegate solenoid'(?) that can act up. I know there is some kind of solenoid that plumbs via a vacuum line to the wastegate actuator.

I'm still waiting for a manual to show up so I can properly diagnose the components of the system.

Any of you guys shed any light on the subject?

Anybody near here that we could try a 'swap' of the solenoid to see if that's the problem?

-Mark
'94 Subaru SVX LSi
'94 Subaru Touring Wagon
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

You should install a boost gauge to determine what is happening to manifold pressure when you experience this problem.

A malfunctioning wastegate control solenoid won't behave like a sticking wastegate; at worst, boost will just come on a little slower and won't reach as high a peak.

You may have an intermittent boost leak...
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
mark10t
In Neutral

Post by mark10t »

I realized that a boost guage will probably help me diagnose the problem. I thought I remembered having a combi pressure/vac gauge around here somewhere..........

-Mark
'94 Subaru SVX LSi
'94 Subaru Touring Wagon