Help! - Removing Spark Plug

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

bman
In Neutral

Help! - Removing Spark Plug

Post by bman »

I was doing a routine tune-up on my car this weekend and I decided to swap out the Bosh Plat+4's for some regular Denso's. I had a mechanic do my last tune up since it was in the winter and I don't have a garage. Anyway, I had no problems with 3 of the plugs but I can't seems to get the last one out. It's the one closest to the firewall on the driver's side. When I put the socket into the hole it doesn't seem to grab anything. It feels like it's metal-on-metal. This is the same socket I used to remove the other 3 plugs. I even tried another socket set and still no luck. Just for my own sanity I used my hand to double check that there actually was a plug in that hole!
Do I need a special tool for that plug? I'm using a 5/8in socket. Which is what I used to remove all the Bosch's and install the Denso's.
Argh! :x

Thanks,
Brian

PS: I'm hoping that 3 new plugs and 1 old plug doesn't ruin anything.
1992 Legacy Turbo Sedan; 5MT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

nope, they should all be the same size, unless the mechanic put in the wrong plug........
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Yeah, that one can be a pest especially as it looks so damn easy. Make sure you get it aimed at the right angle and rotation and you should get it.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

are you using a spark plug socket? they are deeper and have a little rubber sleeve on the inside to hold the sparkplug. not necessary but it can help make things easier.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
kastrix
First Gear

Post by kastrix »

Try unscrewing the washer fluid tank. Makes it a million times easier and only takes a couple seconds. That was the last one I pulled so my patience was growing slim. It took alot of cussing at it(which helped i think) but it finaly came out.
@The Beast@
1992 Legacy L 5MT
Exhaust, tint, fogs, anti-snorkus, plugs, wires, rims, tires, stereo and shifter knob :-)

A good car is like a good woman...
She will turn on when you want her to and she will always give you the ride of your life.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

can I suggest you return the denso's for NGK's?
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I wouldn't even bother changing the plugs without removing the battery and washer tank.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I never remove anything - I just use the right sized extension and thread it between whatever lines I need to and fit the socket with extension by hand. When I've found it I put the ratchet on and go. I just have the simple Craftsman 4-extension set for 3/8 drives.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

i usually leave the battery, but the washer tank has gotta go :)

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
petridish38
Second Gear

Post by petridish38 »

THAWA wrote:i usually leave the battery, but the washer tank has gotta go :)
Yeah, taking the battery out is like taking the engine out for a head gasket job.... you could, but eh.......

Take the washer tank out and try to look down in the hole with a flashlight... See if anything is rounded off or if anything looks out of the ordinary...

Andrew
1990 Legacy LS Sedan FWD NA MT
209,000 miles!
2002 Impreza WRX Sport Wagon
http://www.myspace.com/petridish38
http://www.cardomain.com/id/petridish38
oursTOdestroy
In Neutral

Post by oursTOdestroy »

yeah
that is the same one that gave me trouble (with the washer fluid out)

but i find the passenger side to be a bigger pain in the ass with the airbox there.
in fact, last week when i changed plugs and took it off, i broke some line that goes from the box in b/w the filter and the engine (the middle section) and it leads to a little thing off to the side, i dont know what it is, but it is not hooked up anymore.

actually, since i brought it up, does anyone know what the line is?
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

oursTOdestroy, are you talking about a turbo model? If you are, the diagram on this page will help you figure out which line you broke:

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~v/vacuum/

The lines on that resonator box break easily, especially the one to the boost control solenoid.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
bman
In Neutral

Post by bman »

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. To answer some of the questions: I was using deep sockets to remove all of the plugs. I have a "spark plug socket" (the one with the little rubber sleeve in it) as well as a regular deep socket. Like evo-mov does I jimmy socket w/ extension down there and I loosen up the plug then I finish it off with the spark plug socket since it holds onto the plug as I pull it all out. I was wiggling the socket in that hole for a while. The plug hole itself doesn't have a lot of room for movement so I don't think I'm at so much of an angle that I the edges would be off. I don't know how I could have missed it.
I went out this weekend and brought another spark plug socket and still no luck. I guess I'm going to have to remove the washer tank and take a look-see. I'm probably going to have to buy a small mirror or something because I don't think I can get a good angle.

Thanks again guys,
Brian

PS: I would've picked up some NGK's but I have no idea where they would sell them around here (Boston). The NGK website isn't very helpful (ngksparkplugs.com) and the closest stores are AutoZones. :(
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Yeah, AutoZones suck. They were much better when they were ADAP. The Danvers one had to order them for me.

Could the plastic retainer be hanging up on the plug end, preventing the socket from getting deep enough? That's happened to me as sometimes the thing shifts a little.

Steve
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

I've found (in my admittedly limited experience) that the best tool to use in removing/installing spark plugs is the tool that comes with car. It's in the gray plastic tool kit pouch in your trunk. One end is a spark plug tool, the other end fits in a 19mm (I think) socket. It's the perfect length.

Airbox comes out, wiper fluid reservoir comes out. After that, it's pretty easy.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

You can also use a needle nose to get it out.

94L_wagon
First Gear

Post by 94L_wagon »

Another vote for pulling out the washer bottle.

Hope it turns out well.
94L Wagon (AWD) - bone stock, 136k miles at July 08. Manual (sold - along with my soul to BMW).
bman
In Neutral

Post by bman »

It's done! I rolled up my sleeves this weekend and tried *everything* that people suggested. I removed the washer fluid tank and even used the plug remover from the factory "toolkit" (the grey pouch). The plug came out no problem! I even tried using my original sockets and they all fit?!?! Wierd. I don't know what the problem was before but it all worked out. Thanks all.
...now if I could only had a local NGK dealer :lol:

-Brian
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

I found NGK at the national auto parts chain Car Quest, you may have one near you.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

I know the problem's been resolved... just have to throw in my $0.02:

removing the washer tank helps on that plug... but if you've got a wobble extension for your ratchet you can get all the plugs without removing a damn thing :D
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
kastrix
First Gear

Post by kastrix »

If you want a set of NGK's in the future, i can pick up a set and send them to u.
@The Beast@
1992 Legacy L 5MT
Exhaust, tint, fogs, anti-snorkus, plugs, wires, rims, tires, stereo and shifter knob :-)

A good car is like a good woman...
She will turn on when you want her to and she will always give you the ride of your life.
Impregacy
First Gear

Post by Impregacy »

ultrasonic wrote:I've found (in my admittedly limited experience) that the best tool to use in removing/installing spark plugs is the tool that comes with car. It's in the gray plastic tool kit pouch in your trunk. One end is a spark plug tool, the other end fits in a 19mm (I think) socket. It's the perfect length.

Airbox comes out, wiper fluid reservoir comes out. After that, it's pretty easy.
i know this post is old, but this might be helpful to everybody. I use a tool that comes with the car too and it's even closer and more handy than the one in the trunk. The spark plug wires themselves are perfect for grabbing the loose spark plugs out. lol