Be carefull with the guide-Pins !

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

morgie
Third Gear

Be carefull with the guide-Pins !

Post by morgie »

In the series "Don't loose your stuff", here's a new one i've learned the hard way :

Between the 2 shortblock halves, there is 2 hollow guide-pins. The shop overboring my engine removed them with Vise-grips, rendering the guide-pins completely unreusable.

"No prob, i'll buy new ones at the dealership" .. well.. NO. Like the oil Squirters, those pins comes with the shortblock, and can't be ordered.. :shock:

It's a chance i have 2 spare Wrx shortblock in my shed, and i'll be ULTRA carefull while trying to remove the guide-pins from them to use them on the EJ22T .. :|

I'm starting to HATE Subaru Canada with this "can't order that part" attitude :( ... ALL parts shouls be order separatly in case something goes wrong.. :|

else, the rebuild is going well.. but i'm not very "far" in the process... since i can't close the shortblock :|
morgie
'98 4Runner V6 Manual 4x4.
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

Contact Ron at Axis Power Racing. They open blocks all the time, he must know where to source those pins.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

well i managed to recover 2 pins from a spare shortblock i have.. but without that.. i would have been stuck there.. :\
morgie
petridish38
Second Gear

Post by petridish38 »

Yeah, one of my pins got chewed up as a result of me taking it out of the head. I had to take the pin out of the head before I took it to the machine shop. The rest of the pins stayed in the block, but one decided to stay in the head. It was a little chewed up, but it went back into the block alright.

Andrew
1990 Legacy LS Sedan FWD NA MT
209,000 miles!
2002 Impreza WRX Sport Wagon
http://www.myspace.com/petridish38
http://www.cardomain.com/id/petridish38
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

you're lucky :) the head pins are the only ones you can order from subaru :)
morgie