Shifting 4EAT

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

LegacyPunk
Second Gear

Shifting 4EAT

Post by LegacyPunk »

Just some questions about manually shifting the 4EAT.
1. Will it hurt anything?
2. Will it affect gas mileage?
Basically I started shifting it manually the other day and I noticed that I got A LOT more power will a lot less gas pedal. I really like this as some times when its just in D, I accelerate it seems to take a second to get power up, (i blame my IC for upping the time it takes for the turbo to spool).
I would like to just shift the 4EAT from here on out, plus it seems to make my CEL to go out.
:twisted::cool::twisted: "Plenty of time, to ruin my life, so why start now?" The Movie Life
1993 Sports Sedan, Exhaust, MBC, 02 WRX IC, KYB GR-2s...Now with old back seat!
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

1. no
2. it can if you let the engien rev up higher in each gear thatn you would if you were not manually shifting.

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

i recommend it, also recommend an ATF cooler.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

My turbo spools ridiculously fast, even with my IC... I doubt that's the lag.

No harm in manually shifting an auto. If you want to do it right, you can always do a 5mt sway.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
WRXdan
Second Gear

Post by WRXdan »

THAWA wrote:i recommend it, also recommend an ATF cooler.
YES..YES.. trans coolers are a must!! I would rather spend $40 on a cooler than $1000+ for a 4EAT.
92 Turbo Legacy 4EAT
02 WRX - lightly modded (Gone but not forgotten)
LegacyPunk
Second Gear

Post by LegacyPunk »

Is an ATF cooler like an oil cooler? Does it just hook up to the lines leading to the radiator? And can someone explain Why I'd need one, like the mechanics of why I'd need one.
:twisted::cool::twisted: "Plenty of time, to ruin my life, so why start now?" The Movie Life
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

I dunno what the differences are between an atf cooler and an oil cooler if there are any, but they're similar (if not the same) I'd probably put it in series after the atf heat exchanger(where the lines go from the tranny to the radiator). The reason you need one is because heat is the enemy of just about everything, and tranny fluid is no exception. The hotter it gets the worse it gets. the worse your ATF gets the worse your tranny gets. There was a chart somewhere, lemme see if I can find it.

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

dont ask how accurate it is, but you get the point.

elkaboom
First Gear

Post by elkaboom »

Where have you guys mounted your ATF coolers?
I bought one, but couldn't find anywhere to mount it. so I ended up returning it.
I can only imagine that it would be more difficult to install on a turbo than an n/a. As it was, I was friggin' stumped as to find a place to do a 100% efficient installation.
Bob
90 Legacy LS AWD n/a -190,000 and going strong!

91 Legacy SS -currently stock and awaiting marginal upgrades (dead) RIP
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Why would it be harder on a turbo, I dont understand?

elkaboom
First Gear

Post by elkaboom »

I'm only speculating here, but I assumed it would be more difficult to install because space would be a factor. The n/a bay, forward engine space etc, is sorta cramped for anything as large ("large" being quite relative mind you) as a auto tranny cooler. Sooo, seeing as how the turbo engine compartment is even more cramped, I was wondering where you would mount the cooler? That's all.
I was considering trying to fabricate a top mount, but that seemed like a stupid idea as all the heat in the engine compartment tends to rise anyway, and there is little circulation. Also, I don't think I could effectively fit it on a top mounted assembly without smashing it with the hood or against the coilpack or intake manifold.
I briefly toyed with the idea of mounting it under the car too: more room, more exposure to cooler air, etc, but there are waaaaay too many reason why that would probably be an even worse idea than top mounting it.
As it is, I can't fit it behind or in front of the radiator so wherever it ends up, chances are good that it'll only be cooling at a limited capacity regardless.
Looks like I derailed the thread a bit... sorry.

*edit*
Keep in mind that my car's an automatic so it's kinda tight in there already.
Bob

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

The turbo engine bay isn't really more crowded except right around the turbo. :)

The heat exchanger would have to go up at the front anyway, where the other heat exchangers are, so it shouldn't matter.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
WRXdan
Second Gear

Post by WRXdan »

Oil cooler and trans oil cooler are basically the same in design. There are different types of oil coolers..anyway. The common mounting point is on the front of the radiator/AC condenser. you need to take the grill off to understand what I'm saying. The trans lines are on the drivers side of the radiator so that make a good spot for the extra cooler.

Important:

Connect the aftermarket cooler in series AFTER the factory trans cooler (which is built into the radiator)! On the 4EAT you will see 2 lines coming off it, one near the front and one near the tail shaft. The front line is the OUT, the rear is the IN.
92 Turbo Legacy 4EAT
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

to expand on what wrxdan said, the line from the front goes to the top of the radiator and the line at the rear comes from the bottom of the radiator, so if you wanted it to be after the stock heat exchanger, you'd use the line from the bottom.

elkaboom
First Gear

Post by elkaboom »

WRXdan: Yeah, I originally intended to mount the unit there (e.g., in front of the radiator and behind the grill), but there's no way it would fit without moding the grill to some extent and I'm not exactly down for that.
Hooking it up was'nt the problem in any event, per se, finding a good spot for it was.
Oh wel, maybe I can find a really small one somewhere; it would'nt be as efficient, but it'd still be better than nothing.
Bob

LegacyPunk
Second Gear

Post by LegacyPunk »

Well, since my clutches recently burned out and have been replaced, I think this ATF cooler thing is a good idea. I have plenty of space in front of my radiator since I removed the A/C and condenser. Now I just need to find one somewhere. Thanks guys.
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

Important:

Connect the aftermarket cooler in series AFTER the factory trans cooler (which is built into the radiator)!
That's interesting. While I was hanging out on the SVX boards, at least one guy had a good arguement for mounting the aftermarket cooler before the one in the radiator. The arguement was roughly this: most people experienced decreased transmission performance prior to the ATF reaching normal operating temp, especially during cold weather. So the idea is that the add on ATF cooler would get rid of a bunch of heat straight out of the transmission, then the stock cooler would bring the ATF up to a normal and stable temp before it goes back into the transmission.

Now, I'm no expert on AT's. Hell, I've not even owned one in over 12 years. But what he said made sense to me, and he reported good results on his SVX, and we all know how delicate the 4EAT is in that car.

Any experts wish to comment?
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!
WRXdan
Second Gear

Post by WRXdan »

ultrasonic wrote:
Important:

Connect the aftermarket cooler in series AFTER the factory trans cooler (which is built into the radiator)!
That's interesting. While I was hanging out on the SVX boards, at least one guy had a good arguement for mounting the aftermarket cooler before the one in the radiator. The arguement was roughly this: most people experienced decreased transmission performance prior to the ATF reaching normal operating temp, especially during cold weather. So the idea is that the add on ATF cooler would get rid of a bunch of heat straight out of the transmission, then the stock cooler would bring the ATF up to a normal and stable temp before it goes back into the transmission.

Now, I'm no expert on AT's. Hell, I've not even owned one in over 12 years. But what he said made sense to me, and he reported good results on his SVX, and we all know how delicate the 4EAT is in that car.

Any experts wish to comment?
Yes good point, the 4eat has a temp sensor mounted to the valve body.
92 Turbo Legacy 4EAT