Advice - Flushing and/or Refilling coolant

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

bman
In Neutral

Advice - Flushing and/or Refilling coolant

Post by bman »

It's been over a year since I had my coolant changed (probably closer to over 2 years). I've changed coolant on my old '78 Buick back in the day 8) and I'm assuming that it's pretty similar. The only difference I know is that the Legacy doesn't have a radiator cap on the radiator itself. The only place I know to fill the coolant is the turbo coolant canister. So is the proper procedure?:

1) find the drain plug underneath the radiator
2) undo the drain plug and let it drain into a big pan
3) open the turbo coolant tank cap
4) close the radiator drain plug
5) drain coolant from coolant overflow tank.
6) fill the turbo coolant tank with radiator fluid

-Brian
1992 Legacy Turbo Sedan; 5MT
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

Your steps sound good. once you think you have it filled all the way, squeeze the hoses a bit and try to get any air out of the system.

I think there is a air burp screw on the left hand side of the radiator (on the top). it will help get air out too.

This is the way i've always done it. I've never had any issues with air bubbles in the system ever. it's still a good idea to check coolant level after a day or so.

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

You might also want to drain the coolant from the motor itself. On each half of the block there's a coolant drain plug with a 14mm allen head.

The radiator's drain cock is on the passenger side of the bottom end tank, facing sideways. I found it worked best to stick a small funnel under it before opening it, so coolant wouldn't drip onto any part of the car.

There is no burp screw on turbo radiators; there's just a hose from where the burp screw would be that leads to the filler tank. Burping the cooling system completely may take a while, and you'll probably need to give it a few rounds.

Also, you will need to refill the overflow tank to the proper level. The level may change wildly while you're still in the burping process, though.

You should probably change the thermostat and/or radiator cap while you're at it, too.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

just to note you should open the rad cap before you do anything else, not only to release the pressure built up, but also to make sure it will come off. theres nothing wore than draining all the fluid out and having a cap that wont come off, not that it's likely with rad caps but it could still happen.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

That makes sense... you don't want to drain the fluid and have no way to fill it back up.

After removing it, though, I'd reinstall it to avoid getting a deluge of coolant coming out the draincock while you struggle to correctly aim the bucket that's catching it.

If there's pressure in the system, shouldn't you wait for it to cool off anyway? I mean, if you open the cap while the system is pressurized, don't you risk burning yourself on the steam?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

well yeah obviously, but i was just saying :)
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

or when the coolant that bursts out if you happen to have to bypass a leaky heater core at a highway rest stop to prevent the car from filling with steam... :)

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

mTk wrote:or when the coolant that bursts out if you happen to have to bypass a leaky heater core at a highway rest stop to prevent the car from filling with steam... :)

MK
That's a fairly specific warning. Sounds like the voice of experience...

MK, you should have come to the meet in Ill. on Saturday. As it was, I was the only Legacy.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!
bman
In Neutral

Post by bman »

The only place I know of to fill the coolant is from the turbo coolant tank. Is that the "radiator cap" you guys are speaking of? Do I really need to buy a new one?
What's this "burping" you guys are talking about? If I open the plug at the bottom of the radiator, doesn't all of the coolant in the system come out?

-Brian
1992 Legacy Turbo Sedan; 5MT
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

Ultrasonic: Meet, IL, Saturday? When was this? I usually go up the to thurs meets in Chicago, and i am always the only BC legacy (there are some 05s showing up now)

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

mTk wrote:Ultrasonic: Meet, IL, Saturday? When was this? I usually go up the to thurs meets in Chicago, and i am always the only BC legacy (there are some 05s showing up now)

MK
That was back on the 18th. I think. I was the only BC, but the kids got a kick out of it, most had never seen a Legacy turbo.

I'll PM you about local events...
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!