Started the swap

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Started the swap

Post by Legacy777 »

Tore the donor car apart today......got the subframe, gas tank, & trans out in about 8 hours. Not bad for a day's work.

The left front axle wouldn't come off. Stupid roll pin was stuck....so we just yanked the tranny out with it attached.....showed it....haha

I made a page/journal of the work & pics

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8 ... yswap.html
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

cool cool, but why did you remove the tranny? I thought you were using that 3.9 turbo leg tranny? Also I dunno if you're still going to be selling bits and pieces, but if so how much do you want for the master cyl, hill holder, the brake lines between that, the part that connects to the clutch fork, the brake/clutch pedal assembly(assuming it's still got the spring), and maybe the brake prop valve

Lemme know what you do about cruise control :)
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I took the tranny out because i need the mt subframe and stuff. I didn't want to leave the tranny hang. Plus I need the starter, and the bolts and such from the flywheel.

I don't mind parting stuff out when I'm all done, but I'm not going to be messing with anything until then. It'd be nice to get everything done by sept.....so if you can wait until then or so.....I don't mind parting stuff out.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

oh, right that makes sense. Yeah I'm good with waiting, I'm not in any real rush :)

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Looks like fun...

Maybe you can do a silicone hardening to new OEM diff mounts like you planned to do with your autotranny mount. Of course, it's a guessing game of which is more work, hardening stock ones, or modifying STi ones...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'm going to try and get whiteline bushings for the diff mount.

I don't think I could modify the sti one to work. The mount is wider and wouldn't fit into the holes properly. I could try pulling the bushings out and just use them....but if I can get whiteline bushings for 30 bucks....I can sell or return the 100 dollar sti mount.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Well I figured out the diff mount issue.

There are three different types of rear diff mounts. On the early legacies and imprezas 90-94 & 93-94. They use a bracket that the diff mounts to and the bushings are in that bracket.

In 95 they went to a no bracket setup, and the bushings are in the subframe.

In 02, they went back to the metal bracket, however it is not the same shape/size as the first gen legacies & imprezas.

Rallispec does sell the bracket for the 02-04, and the bushings for the other types.

Since they would have to order them from japan, and it would probably take three weeks. I decided to get some whiteline ones....which are a considerable amount less.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Got pretty much everything off the donor car tonight. I'm going to hopefully get it out of the garage on friday night.

Updated pics and page.

I had one thing come up however

This stupid POS fuel separator or whatever
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8 ... P_3093.JPG

It is along with the piping DIFFERENT on the wagons & sedans.

So I need to find the piping and fuel separator off of a sedan.....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I'd be willing to pick up that wagon fuel seperator from you if you don't want it.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You're welcome to it, assuming I can find a sedan one, and don't need to try and retrofit things.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Sweet!

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

Where did you get the whiteline diff mount from? I ended up getting my new oem one from the dealer. Straight from japan :)

I cam e to the same conclusions as you on the different diff mount styles.

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

oh, nm, it's just the bushings, not the mount itself.

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah it's just the bushings....I got them from isr.

Well I took a look at things a little closer when I got home. Here's what that little turd of a plastic thing is/does. There are two vent lines that come off the tank. They go into the bottom of the separator. The third line is tied into the charcoal canister and is connected to the top of the separator.

I talked with Richard Buckner and he said I could just put a T on there and it should be fine. The only thing he did mention was to keep it as high as I could so in the event you fill the fuel tank too much it will reduce the chance of you getting fuel through the T and into the charcoal line.

I updated the page and took a few more pictures.

Some off the bcbf list offered to go get me the separator. He said there was a car near him. I'm going to go to lowes tonight. If I find what I need in terms of T's or a manifold type thing, I'll probably just go that route. It'll be less hassle, and I don't really care about the evap emissions stuff.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Hmm, so the separator's sole purpose is just to keep you from filling the canister with liquid fuel in case you overfill the tank? I mean, I don't see why changing the size of that chamber (from the size of that big thing down to the size of a tee) would affect evaporative emissions...

Keep in mind when you're at Lowes that you probably don't want to use anything made of plastic. And if you get threaded barbs to thread into a female tee I think you need to get that yellow Teflon tape rather than the usual white stuff.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I really don't know what the hell the separator is for. It really doesn't make much sense. I don't see why they use it on the AWD and not the FWD. The fwd, they just connect the canister right up to the tank vent....unless the vents do some weird stuff in the tank.

I don't think fuel would ever get in that chamber.

I went to lowes....and completely forgot the T stuff. I forgot that and allen wrench stuff for the bike. I got a furniture dolley and some 2x4's. I'm going to use that along with the jack stands to hold the rear end up so I can get the car out of the garage.......should be interesting....haha :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

i though the separator was to help even out the fuel level on awd tanks.