4EAT Transmission Experiences

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

mark10t
In Neutral

4EAT Transmission Experiences

Post by mark10t »

First of all, this is a little long, but very 'educational'.

Many of you may recall that I bought a '94 Subaru Touring (Turbo) Wagon from Chicago on an eBay auction last April. Disappointingly, after I got it home, I found several conditions needing upgrade/repair, including 2 front axles (3 of 4 boots torn) and some transmission woes.

I decided to replace the 4EAT transmission due to a lack of 'RWD' (something non-functional in the traction control clutch) and less-than-optimum shifting. After doing some research, I determined that the transmissions 'rear of the differential' were identical in SVX's and turbo-Legacy's; the front differentials have different ratios (3.55 vs. 3.9).

I bought a recently rebuilt transmission from Astralbody/Victoria (SVX Forum) who was in the process of finishing her 5MT swap. Her old transmission had a failed front differential (4 teeth gone in the ring gear) so it was an ideal candidate to replace what I needed upgraded. (Important note- Bear in mind that the front diff failed within a few thousand miles of the rebuild) I bought her transmission and brought it to a local transmission shop I thought to be reputable to perform the swap. They would mate my front diff and torque converter to the 'fresh' transmission/traction clutch assy. This would obviously require them to disassemble the front diff and a few other pieces in order to accomplish the total swap.

Overall, the Legacy shifted and ran pretty nice after the swap. After a few weeks and few thousand miles, though, I started to detect a buzzing/whining noise that was on/off throttle sensitive. At first guess, it seemed like a resonance from a heat-shield or something. A little later I started experiencing some clicking/knocking noises reminiscent of bad CV joints. I was a little dismayed considering I had two fresh, new axles on the front end. Could one of them have failed already?

I was out with my wife making deliveries on a Sunday about noon (I use the wagon for 'courier' service for airport/airline delivery of lost/delayed luggage). The clicking was getting a little more noticeable and I turned to my wife and said, "Remind me to check the CV's when we get home.". Two seconds later- BANG!!!!. First thought- a completely busted axle joint. We limp to a downtown gas/service station (Bobby & Steve's, if you know the area) and park it. Now we have to make arrangements to get an alternate vehicle so we can finish my deliveries and some means of getting the car home. We contact my son-in-law who goes over to our house and grabs my custom tow-bar I originally built to tow my '85 Subaru behind our motorhome years ago and 'ferry' the wife's Land Rover Freelander down to us so we can finish the job.

We complete our run (and almost got T-boned that afternoon) and return to the station to hook up the Legacy and tow it home.

Upon inspection, I discover that the axles are just fine, but there seems to be something 'loose' in the diff- the axles stubs 'wander' a little more than they should- something is obviously 'trashed' in the diff.

The next day I tow it back down to the transmission shop who promise to 'work with me' on effecting the repairs. About a week and a half later they finally get it apart and announce that the ring and pinion are 'history'. (Gee, they remind that the previous transmission also had a front diff failure- maybe this transmission is somehow 'cursed' or there is a problem with the transmission that leads to diff failures..... ) They announce that they will look for replacement parts or units to determine our options. I'm not a happy camper to say the least............

I check back with Mike (LegacyPGT) who offered to sell me a freshly rebuilt '93 Turbo Legacy 4EAT he had available (shortly after I had already made arrangements with Victoria). The good news is- he still has it and he's in Buffalo, MN on the outskirts of the Twin Cities. The bad news (at least for me- after already having paid for another transmission-) is- he's asking $800 for the unit (I paid Victoria $450 for hers). We settled on a price of $720 and had him arrange for delivery to my home the next day.

I brought the 'new' assembly down to the transmission shop later that day (Monday) with instructions for them to do the 'new' swap. (They hadn't come up with any good sources for parts/units all this time.) Finally on Friday they call and advise that the car is 'reassembled' and ready to go. Oh, and by the way, they thought that 'only' $350 should be what I owe them to 'fix' the car.

The original charges were about $500+ to do the swap and then about $250-300 extra to do the 'parts swapping'- about $800 total. Bear in mind that they put my 'old' transmission in the back of the wagon BEFORE they decided to test drive it- he 'hops' on the throttle (you gotta love a turbo...... ) and manages to slide the 'old' transmission rearward into the rear hatch door. This punches a hole through the rear hatch fascia and dimples the sheetmetal on hatch exterior. That cost them $200......

All that week I had time to think about what had transpired. My original differential was doing just fine previously; I had a fairly 'freshly' rebuilt transmission...... Logic told me that the only thing that could have happened was that they didn't put the diff together correctly when they made the swap. Discussions with Mike and a few others made it obvious that Subaru differentials have different and difficult gear alignment set-ups. This generic, 'used to working on domestics' transmission shop apparently just set up the diff the way they are 'used to doing it', even though I supplied them with my SVX factory repair manual for reference. It was obvious they never even bothered to check the factory spec's. After some 'discussion', they finally saw it 'my way' and let me take the car home at no charge. I figured they, at the very least, owed me the labor considering I was having to cover the cost of a 'fresh' transmission.

My best guess is that the 'Ma & Pa' transmission shop that originally did the 'rebuild' on her transmission made the same error. In fact, the problems I was experiencing with the traction control clutch assembly in my 'original' transmission were only partially alleviated with the transmission I got from Victoria. I think the transmission shop did little or nothing in 'rebuilding' the TCA of that unit. I say that because the 'new' transmission I got from Mike has a wonderfully smooth and transparent engagement of the traction clutch. We have a steep grassy slope on the back of our yard and the 'new' transmission allowed me to climb that hill without even a hint of slip. The previous transmission allowed me to climb the hill, but didn't engage until a little slippage occurred. Better that the original, 'defective' unit but not as nice as the 'properly rebuilt' transmission.

My sage advice to you, my fellow Subaru/Legacy/SVX'er's is- if you are going to buy or have a Subaru transmission rebuilt- take it to a qualified, experienced shop that has many, many, many Subaru's already 'under their belt'. We've heard of too many unfortunate incidents of 'multiple' transmission failures, when the most likely cause is that of a poorly done, inexperienced rebuilder.

By the way, when I got the swap done (both times), I did a 'backyard' ATF flush with Mobil 1 ATF. I plan on having this one around a long time.

Best regards,

-Mark
'94 Subaru SVX LSi
'94 Subaru Touring Wagon
WRXdan
Second Gear

Post by WRXdan »

Setting pinion lash on the 4eat is a bear!!! I'll never do it.
92 Turbo Legacy 4EAT
02 WRX - lightly modded (Gone but not forgotten)
WRXdan
Second Gear

Post by WRXdan »

Another point of interest. The notched "caps" on the diff case don't just hold the diff in place, the set preload on the carrier. If some were to crank one of those down then you ring gear is screwed.
92 Turbo Legacy 4EAT
02 WRX - lightly modded (Gone but not forgotten)
mark10t
In Neutral

Post by mark10t »

Thanks for the feedback.

-Mark
'94 Subaru SVX LSi
'94 Subaru Touring Wagon
mark10t
In Neutral

Post by mark10t »

When it rains, it pours......

Out making deliveries last night and just happened to be glancing at the speedometer when it.... QUIT.....

Now I gotta figure out if the speedo failed (no odometer or cruise control either), or the 'good 'ol transmission shop' managed to leave the cable pickup loose enough that it popped off.... or.....

Am I having fun yet?

-Mark
'94 Subaru SVX LSi
'94 Subaru Touring Wagon
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

mark10t wrote:When it rains, it pours......

Out making deliveries last night and just happened to be glancing at the speedometer when it.... QUIT.....

Now I gotta figure out if the speedo failed (no odometer or cruise control either), or the 'good 'ol transmission shop' managed to leave the cable pickup loose enough that it popped off.... or.....

Am I having fun yet?

-Mark
This is more then likely your problem
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... 2A+base%2A
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
mark10t
In Neutral

Post by mark10t »

Thanks for the feedback. I got the assy. apart- it was the typical problem mentioned with the bushing siezing up and snapping off the flat-drive that 'plugs' into the front diff.

The dealer didn't have the part in stock (but had the cable)- actually their parts diagram showed a longer tube-like affair instead of this sparkplug-like assembly, so he was confused with what I was trying to describe.

I'll have to check with them again now that I have the correct part number.

Thanks for the help guys.

-Mark
'94 Subaru SVX LSi
'94 Subaru Touring Wagon
mark10t
In Neutral

Post by mark10t »

I lucked out and White Bear Subaru had the part I needed (#737411752- the 'spark-plug'-like thingy that threads into the from diff off the speedo cable) to fix the problem. They 'matched the 'old'(?) price and I got it for about $12 (they orig. wanted $18.89!?)

Everythings back together and I've got 'speedo' again. Once you know how it comes apart, it's relatively easy to fix.

-Mark
'94 Subaru SVX LSi
'94 Subaru Touring Wagon
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

Reviving this topic for the following reason:

If I were to have a qualified shop fix this exact same problem (auto tranny rebuilt by shop, shifts well but front diff not set up correctly and blew out, or is ready to blow out)

How much could I expect to pay ????

If they did the whole job (R&R and repair) ?

or

If I handed them the transmission ???

Anyone with real numbers let me know please

Thanks
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car