2.2 N/A performance mods????

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

rally370
Second Gear

2.2 N/A performance mods????

Post by rally370 »

I have a 2.2L N/A motor and want to do some upgrades for a bit more power.I've heard you can swap heads/cams do porting etc
What works?? it has to look the same from the outside! I have use of many Subaru engines so parts are not a problem.I do not want to go the Turbo route or DOHC.

Cheers

Chris
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Chris,

I've got an old 2.2L with 204k on it and like you have found there isn't a lot we can do with our motors. So far the options I've heard of are the air intake mod with the coffee cup. If you do a quick search you'll find it. I personally haven't done it for fear of upsetting my MAF which has acted up in the past on me before and I can't really afford a new one. Another option is the grounding mod, again a quick search will bring it up. I personally have done this and it made a noticable difference, there is a thread or post detailing it too. I now idle about 550-600, it's a smoother acceleration. Make sure you reset the ECU afterwards too. Another thing I would suggest is running Sea Foam through your car. Half the bottle in the oil, make a change in about 500 miles, and the other half through a vacuum line going to the intake. Beyond this I'm not sure what all can be done. Lightweight pulleys but that's its own controversy. Hope this helps.

Lee
STi_GUY
First Gear

Post by STi_GUY »

CAI + MAF adapter
Lightweight pulleys
plugs and wires
Custom cat-back + Borla headers
short shift and exedy clutch
MSD DIS-2 booster
EJ25 crank (strokes to ~ 2.35L)

thats really about it. I've searched everywhere for stuff and have most of it on my suby.
Cody
1994 Legacy Ti Wagon (Estate)
2.4L of N/A fury :)
Awesome vendor: http://home.att.net/~teaguesauto/index.htm
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

what is the "controversy" around light crank pulleys?

not underdrive but just light.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Issues with balancing the flywheel on the other end or vibrational frequency absorption which I think is a minor to no issue with the significant support and short size of the crank.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

evolutionmovement wrote:Issues with balancing the flywheel on the other end or vibrational frequency absorption which I think is a minor to no issue with the significant support and short size of the crank.

Steve
i though that the pulley was not a harmonic balancer and the small amount of rubber was just a NVH kind of thing and its absence would have no ill effects on a boxer motor.

i have a perrin pulley in a box in my garage waiting to go into my n/a sedan when i have time.

cant wait to see what happens. probably nothing though.
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

If the stock crank pulley was even somewhat of a harmonic balencer, then I would have tweaked my engine the moment the 7.5" diameter custom crank pulley spun. I have run about 700 miles so far with this whack job for my SC and no destruction yet.

Sorry, no pictures yet of this Frankenstein pulley.
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

That's why I don't think it's an issue.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

thats what i thought too but you brought it up so i wanted to know more.

basically it is some old school chevy guys that dont quite understand imports.

kind of like the timing belt debate we had last spring regarding how easy it is to do and not screw up the timing.
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The stock pulley is some form of a harmonic dampener. It may not be a huge one, but that little piece of rubber does serve a purpose.

Most of our cars could run without the stock pulley and be fine. From what homework I have done, unless you're making gobbs of power (+300hp) you should be fine without the stock pulley.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Finn1
In Neutral

Post by Finn1 »

Well, I modified my stock air box and did the coffee mug mod and believe it or not my idle vacuum increased by nearly 2in. of mercury. I am sure I can feel a slight mid-range increase in torque as well. I also have an aluminum underdrive pulley but did not notice any differences.

If you go look at Paeco in Alabama they claim to be able to get well over 200hp out of our EJ22 N/A engines. Of course it will only cost you around $4,000.00 or so to get this power. They will do anything from selling you valves to making custom pistons, Aluminum flywheels, head work, cams and lightweight valve train in cluding titanium pieces. They even do custom stroker kits: I thought if I sent them an EJ25 (79mm) crank and they do a .25in(6.5mm) stroke an EJ22 could be over 2500cc. For shear dreaming of power and ideas Paeco's catalog is worth getting. You can call or email from the website.

Good Luck!!!
If it isn't broke, fix it 'til it is!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'll highly warn you, as well as anyone against using Paeco.

They don't know what they're doing. A buddy of mine, Rod, he had his whole engine done by them. They told him a lot of stuff would be ok, but after getting the motor in, and having checked out a few things, it was not ok, and is in the process of taking Paeco to court to try and get some of his money back.

If you do a search on the net or nabisco....you'll find similar stories.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

Get some NAWWWSSS :)
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
Finn1
In Neutral

Post by Finn1 »

WOOOWW!!!!
Thanks Josh! I will not go with them for anything. Their catalog is still to get some ideas.

Todd
If it isn't broke, fix it 'til it is!
rally370
Second Gear

Post by rally370 »

Cody

The 2.5 crank sounds interesting.What about torque and revs and pwer? any internal mods or is it a straight swap?I heard you can swap heads from the 2.0 or 1.8 to raise the comp?

Cheers

Chris
STi_GUY
First Gear

Post by STi_GUY »

Mid-range torque picked up a bit. The biggest improvement was down low. All in all, I probably picked up about 7-12HP. No modification needed, but while I was in there, I had a few things polished. The advantages of having connections at a NASCAR machine shop.
Cody
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

did you just swap the crank, or is more work involved in putting a ej25 crank into a ej22?
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
Lunatech
Second Gear

Post by Lunatech »

greg donovan wrote:did you just swap the crank, or is more work involved in putting a ej25 crank into a ej22?
This is a good question. What about pistons, main journal size, con rod length and journal size?

Just curious.
Robert,

Rio Red 1990 L sedan 5MT at least 302000 mi. and Spruce Pearl 1996 Wagon 4EAT 245000 mi.

georryan wrote:
Don't knock him for thinking outside of the box. At least he has been creative.
STi_GUY
First Gear

Post by STi_GUY »

EJ22 rods and pistons, used with EJ25 crank. Its really that simple. Or so my buddy who machined the bearings said. He had very little trouble at all. Just learn from my mistake and make sure the timing isnt 180 degrees off! :) I wouldnt tear down the engine JUST to swap the cranks. Do it when you already havve it out. My case, for example, I hade a spun rod bearing making a lot of noise. Your call.
Cody
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

what sort of machining was done to the bearings?

did you use ej22 or ej25 bearings?

phase I or II crank?
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
rally370
Second Gear

Post by rally370 »

I have got the local subaru breakeryard on the look out for a used 2.5 crank/2.2L engine so I can build a fresh engine.. If anyone wants any Subaru stuff give Larry a call at www.subaruworld.com but don't take my crank!!!
So just bolt in the 2.5 crank????

Cheers

Chris
Kostamojen
In Neutral

Post by Kostamojen »

Hmm, I like the crank information, very good stuff.

About the pulleys, there are not any "harmonics" invovled, there is an official statement from subaru floating around NASIOC about it. Its just a pulley.

Personally, I had an Underdrive pulley, and switched it out for a stock sized pulley. I really wanted to know the difference... (and wondered if the underdrive was causing some A/C noises, but that wasnt the case)
An underdrive pulley has much better pull between 2000-4000rpms, its very much noticable. The stock sized pulleys, very hard to tell if they do anything at all. If you dont have some fancy stereo or electronic equipment running in the car, and want the extra kick, go with the underdriven pulleys. The only noticable issue I saw was diming headlights at stoplights (but who wants bright headlights lights in their face at a stop anyway?)
Kostamojen
In Neutral

Post by Kostamojen »

Quick question, I remember conversations about the valvetrains in like the 96 heads being lighter or something and perhaps worth a couple extra HP for earlier motors... Anything ever come out of this?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I believe the 96 heads had roller rockers, and that was the reason for the increase in hp.

I think you can swap then over....assuming the rocker ratio is the same.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

EJ22_SLO
First Gear

Post by EJ22_SLO »

STi_GUY wrote: EJ25 crank (strokes to ~ 2.35L)
hi all - from Europe :-)

i drive Legacy wagon 2.2 1990 (ranger model - made for USA). When i saw this EJ25 crankshaft mode - i thought WOW! - sounds nice and simple, pretty cheap :-))) but...

If i got this right:
-> with EJ25 crank you lower the pistons in cylinder -> engine volume increases from 2.2L to 2.35L ?
so if you use EJ22 rods and pistons -> you lower the pistons in cylinder -> that's why engine wolume increases -> what happends with compression? i think compression falls down -> bad... (usefull only for turbo mod :-) )

would changing head gasket help?
ideas?
:wink: