bigger turbo = better gas milage?

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

bigger turbo = better gas milage?

Post by IggDawg »

hey all. curios on this one. if I got a bigger turbo, would it improve my gas milage? assuming I'm not at WOT all the time, I'd have a less restricted exhaust, and I wouldn't be nearly as much into boost on the highway. wouldn't this all work out to get better gas milage so long as I drove conservatively?

also, any tips on improving gas milage?
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
ericS2the6
First Gear

Post by ericS2the6 »

igg,

i consider myself a "smart" driver :D . and i constantly flog my car, redline all the time(given im in the mood to drive like that.) but i also always coast to red lights, sure people tailgate me the whole time, and often go flying by me just in order to slam on their brakes, but it definetly will make your pads last a hell of a lot longer, and i get an average of 24 mpg (half hwy, half city).

my car is also a bone stock turbo with a little over 130K.

not sure about ur bigger turbo question tho.
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

Stay out of the boost :( Don't carry passengers (unless they are really hot :D )
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

bigger turbo=more air=more fuel

hope that helps :D
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
Sir Yach-o
First Gear

Post by Sir Yach-o »

I've heard that adding a better intake on an N/A car improves gas mileage, and I'm assuming that's because it flows better. Now, the turbos on our car are terribly restrictive until spooled, as the air inlet is only 40mm wide, and the outlet is only 35mm wide, wheras our throttle body is what, 58 or 60mm. This, and the restriction in exaust, is why most turbocharged engines lack low-end power. So, in my mind, a larger turbo can, in fact, improve gas milage, assuming that you are not proportionally detrimental to exhaust flow because of the larger turbine/compressor wheels. Solve this by getting a nice new roller-bearing turbo.

And, oh yeah, no 13+psi boost. :wink:

-mike
I'm saving up for my Yugo.