Went straight

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacytuner
First Gear

Went straight

Post by Legacytuner »

Today i went to the local exhaust shop and had the guy bend me a 2.5" straight-pipe from the dp back saving the original flange $55, no muffler no cat, holy crap what a difference it is suprisingly not that loud, not any louder than the unimuff i had on before and the tone is raspy, sounds great just like the rally cars. i really notice that there is a torq increas and turbo spools a little faster. turned out to be a good mod

UNIMUFF = UNIVERSAL MUFFLER, I LOVE NEW WORDS :lol: :lol:
Proud owner of a 1991 Silver 5MT
Gold wrx wheels,Straight Exhaust, DNA Boost Controler 12 Psi, Ngk's, De-Snorked, Carbon fiber hood scoop in the werks
1991 White 5MT(Sold to Friend), AKA BINFORD

"KEEP IT REAL, KEEP IT SUBARU"
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Stock downpipe?

I am going to have my mechanic bend me a straight 3" pipe from the downpipe back. I have a feeling it's going to be a LOT louder than I can even imagine.

I've got no cat's as it is, and that bigass downpipe and bigass turbo, oh man!
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
Legacytuner
First Gear

Post by Legacytuner »

yeah stock dp but not for long, it still sounds really cool and response is noticeably better :lol:
Gold wrx wheels,Straight Exhaust, DNA Boost Controler 12 Psi, Ngk's, De-Snorked, Carbon fiber hood scoop in the werks

dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

my 3" stainless is more than enough to get the cops attention when wot
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
kidatari
Second Gear

Post by kidatari »

Be forewarned, a catless turboback without a muffler will be very loud. Hell, my 3" turboback is loud, even with a muffler. The 2.5" piping might help, and if it's crush bent it might quiet it down a bit, but still.

But loud isn't necesarilly bad. I like my exhaust :devil:
[size=75]91 Perl White 5MT Legacy Sport Sedan[/size]
Legacytuner
First Gear

Post by Legacytuner »

"LOUD PIPES SAVE LIVES"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

Only for motorcycles. I'm glad my tax dollars pay cops to keep dangerous aftermarket exhausts off the street :|
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
Legacytuner
First Gear

Post by Legacytuner »

I just like to say that, it makes the elders think loud is ok

azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

BAC5.2 wrote:Stock downpipe?

I am going to have my mechanic bend me a straight 3" pipe from the downpipe back. I have a feeling it's going to be a LOT louder than I can even imagine.

I've got no cat's as it is, and that bigass downpipe and bigass turbo, oh man!

i thought you had a full ces?
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I do have a full CES setup. I just want a "race pipe" to embarass V8 owners even more than 16psi already does...
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
Mr.Pessimist
First Gear

Post by Mr.Pessimist »

Has anyone considered putting straight pipes with high-flow cats from each stock header? Resulting in dual exhaust out the back like V8 muscle cars do.

It seems logical to me that we should take advantage of the fact that we have two headers.
~Ross
1993 FWD 5MT Green NA Legacy
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Wouldn't really work all that well for us turbo guys.....
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Mr.Pessimist
First Gear

Post by Mr.Pessimist »

That is true....

and I do plan on putting a turbo on my NA someday.
~Ross
1993 FWD 5MT Green NA Legacy
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Packaging the duels would require motorcycle mufflers or something due to space restrictions on the pass side. I'm not sure duels would help on the N/A performance wise without a cam change either. I believe (educated observation) that the stock N/A system is fairly well matched to the lower end power that FHI tuned these engines for. Going to duels would limit scavenging properties in the original single exhaust. It may breath more freely, but that would maybe only help at higher rpms than the cams are designed to work optimally at. Remember that the engine fires off one bank at a time so going to a single exhaust on each head would leave a relatively long pause between paired firings: 1,3, pause while 2 & 4 fire, 1,3, etc. Factoring in reflections from when the pulses hit the converters add another dimension, but their effects may be more prononuced in the duel system and would only help in a fairly narrow rpm band (where would depend on the pipe length before the cats).

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

dual
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I don't know, Hardy, I'd much rather count to ten, turn, and shoot someone down for insulting the honor of my car.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.