SCCA To Discontinue ProRally, ClubRally Programs in 2005

Autocross, Rallycross, ProRally, Drag, WRC, F1 etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

SCCA To Discontinue ProRally, ClubRally Programs in 2005

Post by JasonGrahn »

TOPEKA, Kan. (Oct. 5, 2004) – Sports Car Club of America’s Board of Directors voted Monday to discontinue the sanction of its current stage-based rally format, including the ProRally and ClubRally Championships, beginning January 1, 2005 due to increasing risk exposure.

“This was a difficult and unfortunate decision to make,” SCCA Board of Directors Chairman Gary Pitts said. “However, from an insurance standpoint, the stage rally format has gotten to the point where it puts the entire Club, its activities and entities under an undue risk.”

“We have many SCCA members whose interests lie in rally,” SCCA President and CEO Steve Johnson said. “It is my intent to allow these members the opportunity to rally in the future and continue to access the sport. I am confident we can accomplish this task.

“We are in negotiations to transition SCCA’s elements of the stage-based rally activity to Rally America, a longtime partner and participant in the sport of rally.”

Unaffected by the decision are SCCA’s RallyCross and RoadRally programs.

SCCA began its special stage-format ProRally Championship in 1973. Since then, the ProRally Championship Presented by Hot Wheels has been regarded as the top domestic rally series. The 2004 Championship has one round remaining, Lake Superior ProRally (LSPR), which will run as scheduled Oct. 22 in Houghton, Mich.

http://www.scca.com/News/News.asp?Ref=178
-Jason Grahn
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

Holy Crap!!! That's crazy.

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

So they're basically just looking to get out of the "stage-based" stuff?

You're as involved in this as anyone on the board. Is Rally America any good at this?
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
Legacytuner
First Gear

Post by Legacytuner »

Damn, i was really looking forward to next years ojibwe forest rally
i had a blast there :(
Proud owner of a 1991 Silver 5MT
Gold wrx wheels,Straight Exhaust, DNA Boost Controler 12 Psi, Ngk's, De-Snorked, Carbon fiber hood scoop in the werks
1991 White 5MT(Sold to Friend), AKA BINFORD

"KEEP IT REAL, KEEP IT SUBARU"
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

DLC wrote:So they're basically just looking to get out of the "stage-based" stuff? You're as involved in this as anyone on the board. Is Rally America any good at this?
It's an interesting balance. I've ran at rallies org'd by RA, and they run quite smooth. They have the financial backing to accomplish the task. But i don't know if they have the complete infrastructure to accomplish it. I've been told by specific insiders that this really is going to be a seamless transistion, and if these people tell me it is, then i'm likely to believe that it's going to be near-to.

Of course, if not, i live in bellingham, canada isn't too far away anymore. ;)
Damn, i was really looking forward to next years ojibwe forest rally
Don't believe for one second that this means all rallies from here on out are done. Ojibwe will probably still occur on some level. It's your duty as a rally fan to assist how to can to help make it possible.

That being said, if SCCA is letting go of rally, they should let go of it wholly. Rallycross feeds the regional rally system which feeds the national rally.
-Jason Grahn
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Damn, that's crazy! I wonder if STPR will still go off one way or another. :?
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

see post 58, by DCH, for answers to your questions about RA.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ge=3&pp=25

DCH is Doug Havir founder of Rally America. he is the owner Driver fo the CPD racing #88 STi. he is an acquantance if mine and is very dedicated to the development of rally in the USA. here is the Rally America website http://www.rally-america.com/ that should give you all a better idea of what they are capable of.

the other members of RA are also from Minnesota, and are also friends of mine, and are long time organisers and competitors in the SCCA rally series. OFPR won rally of the year several times under the guidance of these people.

the SCCA is just not going to be promoting/sanctioning rallies anymore. RA will. Appaerntly the ins risks for rally were a threat to all the other racing that SCCA does.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

Thanks for the insight Glenn. I haven't had the chance to actually meet Doug, but have heard good things about him on a personal level. Al is a cool cat and is helpful to have at rallies, but i think he's the only RA guy that i've actually MET.

On a business level, I believe it is a good thing to have rally run buy a businessman, not a club. While it's good to have it a club-type feel, and a club-type atmosphere, and even a club-type org structure; for it to grow into what i'd like to see it as, it needs that hard-nosed business background to flourish.

My $0.02.
-Jason Grahn