Timing Belt Help: Please Help, Now what's that noise?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

SubaLegacy
In Neutral

Timing Belt Help: Please Help, Now what's that noise?

Post by SubaLegacy »

Hello everybody. I have that same problem as guidom12345, my car wouldn't start and they place I towed it to said it was the timing belt. I thought for sure, fuel pump, or something. Anyhow, they said $450 for changing the timing belt and the water pump. Does this seem high to anyone? Because I thought I remember the Subaru dealer, which is about an hour and a half away, saying that it would be like $150 for the the belt alone. Is $450 too much? Should I tell them to smoke a fat one? Is this something I should try myself? I haven't done it before but I'm fairly confident I could do it. Looking at my Chilton's it makes it seem pretty easy.
Last edited by SubaLegacy on Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Having someone do the job for you should cost no more than $300 TOPS with a water pump thrown in. You should be able to do it yourself for ~$150 in parts belt & water pump.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
SubaLegacy
In Neutral

Post by SubaLegacy »

So I just had the shop do it for me since I thought I wouldn't be able to do the water pump myself. It cost $456. Funny thing though. I hear a howling noise that I never heard before. I passed it off as just something that was normal since I hear the stereo or ac or fan or whatever over everything else usually, but then I was reading on how to change the timing belt on my girlie's Civic and it said that if the water pump howls then, it's a full moon, oh wait I mean then there is a problem with the shaft bearings for the water pump. Does anyone know if this is something I should be worried about on my car? For right now I don't have to drive very far to work and overheating isn't a big problem, but sooner or later it might be.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Yeah you should be worried about the waterpump if it's howling lik ethat. You should be even more worried if they just replaced the water pump, take it back to them and tell them to diagnose what they just did.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
SubaLegacy
In Neutral

Post by SubaLegacy »

First Timing belt and water pump now alternator. Grand total of $850. What's next, anyone know? There's gotta be something else that's getting ready to detonate. ECU? It's been about 2 years for the clutch, so it might be ready. GGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
90LegAWD
First Gear

Post by 90LegAWD »

buy a set of tools, some jack stands, a torque wrench and a repair manual. if you can follow instructions, and can turn a wrench, you can do what any professional mechanic does.

i've saved myself thousands on car repairs over all the years. no to mention all the aftermarket stuff i've done. i just put all new oil seals, timing belt, water pump and thermostat in my 94 L, for under $150.
snowboarded
Third Gear

Post by snowboarded »

90LegAWD wrote:... i just put all new oil seals, timing belt, water pump and thermostat in my 94 L, for under $150.
Where did you get your timing belt from? im in need of one.
[quote="Manarius "]Only flamers will get those. [/quote]
[quote="All_talk "]How many WHP will that give me? :)[/quote]

2010 Subaru Impreza 5mt 5 door
90LegAWD
First Gear

Post by 90LegAWD »

local parts store. ~$48 if i remember