ford tempo performance?

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

TurboLegacy
First Gear

ford tempo performance?

Post by TurboLegacy »

my friend has a 1993 tempo gl with a 1.8L. he wants more power so i did a couple mods, but i cant think of anything else to do with out ripping the engine apart( i was willing but he wasnt). i made a "custom" ram air intake , i put a resistor in the intake temp sensor, put a glass pack on it, and added a nitrous cheater system for 50 bucks( 30hp for 3-5 secs.) it has little nitrous tanks the size of co2 bottles for air guns, single use, works pretty well for hitting top speed ( about 100 mph in that car, down a hill)any other suggestions? i was also thinking about putting 2.3L fuel injectors in.
92 legacy turbo 5spd fwd-12 psi, tm intercooler bov, walbro 255.

81 chevy malibu- 400 sb, holley 600, edelbrock rpm, hooker headers, lunati voodoo cam,4spd muncie, 3:73 posi,monte c. swivel buckets, corvette rally wheels
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

Ford. . . .

Tempo . . .

Mods. . . .

. . . all in the same sentence? What's the world coming to?
"Power is NOTHING without control"
1994 & 2005 Legacy GT Wagons
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

I wouldnt modify a ford tempo. The fact that it's still running is an indicator that all the problems with it have cancelled eachother out, like mr burns and his diseases all trying to infect at the same time. I wouldnt want to upset the balance.

My grandmother had a 91 tempo. The engine EXPLODED at 120k.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I don't understand... Why would you even attempt to mod this car?

You might as well start out with a Citröen 2CV :roll:
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

Swap in a Mustang SVO engine and find one of the rare AWD drivetrains, then he can actually call it a real car.

(Yes, there were AWD Tempos)
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
123c
Second Gear

Post by 123c »

I wouldn't even own a Ford Tempo, of for that matter anything made by Ford except maybe a diesel truck...
[color=red][b]1993 Subaru BC Turbo Legacy (193k miles)
1971 VW Super Beetle
1989 Honda Elite 50
[/color][/b]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I'm still trying to figure out if he is being serious :???:
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Maybe when the new Focus SVT-4 (AWD turbo, rally edition) or whatever it's called comes out you could do an engine and tranny swap. Or, maybe you could take the body off the SVT and swap the Tempo body over. Ya, that's the ticket.

:)

Seriously though, I wonder if the Ford Probe turbo engine could be swapped in? That would at least give you a bit more options for performance.

I've seen AWD Tempo's, they released an AWD Taurus too.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
TurboLegacy
First Gear

Post by TurboLegacy »

i know that tempos are extremely crappy, and that they have no potential. i knew they had awd tempos, and i thought about the probe and svo motor already. i forgot, is the probe a 2.3 also? i think that 2.3 injectors will be the next thing to do.

81 chevy malibu- 400 sb, holley 600, edelbrock rpm, hooker headers, lunati voodoo cam,4spd muncie, 3:73 posi,monte c. swivel buckets, corvette rally wheels
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

why bigger injectors? wont that just make you run rich. Really the only way to make more power with an interal combustion engine is to get more air, or denser/cooler, into the combustion chamber.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

The rally Focus is RS, the SVT version is now dead.
90 L+ wgn
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

I had a coworker at sears that called his car the ford "tempo-rary"
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

They never officially released an AWD Taurus. They did release a 4-cylinder, Manual transmission for like 100 models in 89.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

wasn't there a post a month or so back about the kid who went to the junkyard, got a gl-10 wagon and tweaked the ea-82T in it? or something like that? HELL, it's a tempo, kinda like: " dude, I wanna rice out my KIA, any thoughts?" Yeah- first run it off a cliff, then take the money and buy something else.

Hell, if he is serious, just get a small generic turbo out of the junkyard, swap it on, and pray the engine holds.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

I agree, he should go to the junkyard, find one of those old mustang gt's with the 4 cylinder turbo engine and pull the stuff off that. I've seen a couple while browsing. There may be a reason they are in the junkyard tho...
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

dscoobydoo wrote: " dude, I wanna rice out my KIA, any thoughts?"

LMMFAO! A co-worker of mine asked me that exact same question except that he used the word trick instead of rice! I shit you not. It's a red Kia Sephia or some shit. He got a CAI off of Ebay and is running a spoiler (stock I believe). He was asking me about exhausts for the car and I politely played along. :lol:
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

That's funny Matt. My next-door neighbor had the exact same thing. Red Kia Sephia with cheap Tire Kingdom wheels, a big fart can with DTM tips, and some sort of intake, I could hear it.

One morning, he started that POS up at 6am and let it idle for like a half-hour. Slowly but surely the resonance from the muffler woke me up, I wanted to go out there and pull the ground wire off his car or something while he was inside :lol:
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
TurboLegacy
First Gear

Post by TurboLegacy »

actually my friend is quite stupid and didnt know his engine was actually a 2.3 . i didnt question him , just assumed he would know what size his engine is. i found a sticker under the hood that said 2.3. i told him and he said "awesome" but i informed him that it actually made his car even more pathetic, because it is so slow for a 2.3.

azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

there was a ricer at my school. i always played along until one day he said he was puttn a jacksons racing super charger a vortech super charger and a turbonetics t3t4 set up all at the same time. at that i proceded to school him in the art of boost.
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Hahaha, that's ridiculous!

I've had a few guys make some straight up outrages terms. One sticks out in particular. This kid was telling me about his sleeper Ford. I can't remember exactly what it was but I think it was the precurser to the Festiva. It was an old late '80's, early '90's hatchback thing.

Anyways he was saying it was a turbo and that he was going to put a "Stage 2 Turbo" on it. He was also doing a "Race Intercooler" and "Stage 1 Weight Reduction". A "Racing Chip" and "Semi-Race Lightweight Flywheel". :lol: I thought I was in GT land. This kid had definitely played too much GT and was having trouble with reality.

So I ask to see his engine and when he takes me out and opens the hood it's some tiny N/A with an old oval air cleaner on a carb setup. I poke around like I'm impressed and commented that it was one hell of a sleeper to the point that the turbo was invisable! He was like"Ya, it's stealth" and was totally serious and didn't even get the dig. He drove away and got on it and it was like watching a riding lawn mower at full speed only slower. Hahahaha...it was great.
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

Stage 2 Turbo? He must have won some races in that beast to build up the "credits" for that mod. :lol:
90 L+ wgn
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

too much need for speed underground
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
Legacytuner
First Gear

Post by Legacytuner »

This all goes along with "MUFFLER BEARINGS" and "BLINKER FLUID"
dumb people need to "EJIMICATE THUMSOLVS" :P :P :P
Proud owner of a 1991 Silver 5MT
Gold wrx wheels,Straight Exhaust, DNA Boost Controler 12 Psi, Ngk's, De-Snorked, Carbon fiber hood scoop in the werks
1991 White 5MT(Sold to Friend), AKA BINFORD

"KEEP IT REAL, KEEP IT SUBARU"