Just remove?? the black, peeling trim above the doors?

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

rallysam
Fourth Gear

Just remove?? the black, peeling trim above the doors?

Post by rallysam »

Everyone has that peeling black paint on the trim above the doors. It looks dumb, but I am too lazy to actually repaint it. I would probably end up getting black paint on my windows.

Has anyone thought of just scraping the whole trim so that it's silver? What do you think that would look like? Seems like it would be a lot easier than painting - especially since it's half gone already.
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

I have a feeling it would look like crap. Depending on how you remove it, it might be really uneven or scratched. Sounds like more work than actually repainting it.

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
vypa
First Gear

Post by vypa »

how about painting it body color? like at maaco or somethin... how you think that would look?
Brian
http://vypa.homestead.com/index.html
93mightyS
In Neutral

Post by 93mightyS »

My 93 Legacy is starting to do the same thing. I think it would look horrible as shiny chrome up top. I guess I'll have to take it somewhere to have painted when it gets bad.
HomeSlice
Third Gear

Post by HomeSlice »

vypa wrote:how about painting it body color? like at maaco or somethin... how you think that would look?
it looks sweet like that....here is a link http://www.autospeed.com/A_0636/P_1/article.html

im gettin my leg painted soon..im thinking about doing it too. i might just paint the black molding on the doors. dont know yet
MY93BC Legacy Sonora Sand---> black plasti-dip?
MY93GC Impreza Amethyst--> Glacier/aspen/pd White
93BC"edm" 93GC 90BC R.I.P.
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

How much do you think it costs to get the trim done cheaply at Maaco or wherever?

It doesn't need to look show-room, it just needs to sorta look solid black instead of this black-and silver zebra print.
'00 Impr RS - sold
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

You might consider painting it yourself... I don't know how easily they come off, but at the local auto parts store you can get paint in a can made for trim and bumpers that is pretty easy to use. Heck, if you're willing to use a lot of masking tape and newspaper, you could paint it while it's on the car.
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

Thanks, maybe I'll give that a shot.

Hehe.... Somehow I see myself with some un-intentional window tints in the near future... :wink:
'00 Impr RS - sold
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'll take the black trim.....IMO ;)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

I'm in the midst of doeing this. I'm gonna repaint them black. Want pics?

Mark,
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

yup.....that's a silly question :P
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

Ok moderators, I have the pics done. Who wants to host :lol:

Mark,
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

you know the drill.....email them to me ;)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

Ok, for you guys considering fixing your black trims, here's how i did mine.

I first unscrewed them off the car, just to make things a little easier and tidey. I then sanded down the entire outside suface, scuffing the metal and the old paint and evening down the suface between where the paint was was gone and where it still had paint covering it. I started with 100 grit and finshed with 300.

I then sprayed three thin coats of Lacquer primer

Once dry I "misted" on 2 coats of gloss black spray can Lacquer

Then added 2 more thicker coats of black lacquer. Once dry for a day or so I Lightly scuffed the cured black paint with 800 grit paper and added 3 coats of Lacquer clear-coat.

Yes it's alot of work but if you want your finish to last and remain "fresh" looking for years to come this is how I would approach the problem. and special thanks to Josh aka legacy777 for hostin the pics 8)

Mark,
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

Whereas on the other end of the spectrum, i Sharpied my silver spots :lol: Looks ok, nobodys noticed yet... of course, honestly, who examines a 13 year old legacy L?
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

Awesome! That's exactly the sort of idea I was looking for. I'll break out the sharpie this weekend.
'00 Impr RS - sold
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

LegacyT: I have a proposal, give me a price if you found some trim parts from a junkyard and performed the same on them, then shipped them to me.
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

There is only one legacy sedan (but countless wagons) in the area, and the left hand trim on that sedan is gone. I guess if you could find one where you live you could send me the trims and I'll paint them for you. The other option is sending me the ones from your car, although I realize that that wouldn't be the best solution, cause you will have to drive around with missing trims for abit. Let me know what you want to do.

Mark,
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

Where are those wagons located? I've been trying to find a source of parts for a while now.
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

scottzg wrote:i Sharpied my silver spots
Ditto :P

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

my sharpie wore out in the rain, so i did it right (sorta).

I left them on the car, and using quick strokes i spraypainted it a hi-gloss black. It looks new. I did end up using a little tsp to clean off the places where i missed and it went past the masking tape i put down.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

Well, i finally did it really correctly, taking off all the trim and sanding the base material with 220 and then 800 grit sandpaper. I then laid about 5 coats of matte black with an integrated primer, sanded once with the 800 really lightly (should have gone with something higher maybe, but im a half asser at heart, and i didnt wanna walk to the hardware store again) and hit it with 2 coats of clearcoat. With clearcoat you want to lay it a bit heavier than with the colored paint. The effect i got is a textured gloss, exactly what i wanted. Im quite happy with the result, and have to admit that i regret having done a shoddy job originally, it made this job harder. Gobs of pictures at

http://www.thawa.net/gallery/view_album ... me=album26

I will take a daytime shot or two in the daytime (duh) i finished sticking everything back together in the dark.
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

More pics can be found here

I also threw up some pics of my repaired fender, because im sure you're all dying to see it.
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

dust your dash!
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
Soobster
First Gear

Post by Soobster »

Can the front trim that covers the side of the windshield be removed independently or will I have to remove all of the trim that runs the length of the wagon? I need to get in there to replace or reglue the weather stripping that is supposed to be fixed to the underside of that front trim piece.

Has anyone thought about pulling the trim to have it sandblasted then powdercoated? That might be a real easy way to get the things repainted for those that are a little less crafty. I have had good experiences with powdercoating shops. If you find out when they are doing a run of your desired color (black is really common) you can get just about anything painted for cheap. I've done a couple bikes like that.
1987 VW Westfalia Vanagon - EJ22T Powered
1994 Legacy Touring Wagon