what autoX class are you in?

Autocross, Rallycross, ProRally, Drag, WRC, F1 etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

white_n_slow
In Neutral

what autoX class are you in?

Post by white_n_slow »

hey folks, I was just wondering what were the most common classes for your cars. Tell me a little about your car (level of prep), what class you're in, and how well you generally do.

Thanks,
David:D
non legacy owner.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

I dont think there's that many hardcore auto-xers here.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

Open
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

not yet ;) but I'll let you know
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
Warp3
First Gear

Post by Warp3 »

I run my 2.5RS regularly in Street Mod (it was in DSP until I stuck Cobb "spicy" cams in there) and have been doing surprisingly well on a local level with it. Full mod list is available here: http://www.warpthree.com/vp_warp3.html

I was hoping to run the Legacy Turbo in a couple events in Stock just to see how she performs that way, but since I had the seized stock turbo replaced with a TD05H-16G, (my ONLY mod thus far), I guess she's now in Street Mod as well... :lol: (Legacy mod list: http://www.warpthree.com/vp_warp3lt.html)
Shane
2006 Subaru WRX TR
1989 Toyota MR2
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

The stock Legacy Turbo runs in H-Stock which is along with other Geo Metros and lots of other very lowly car. It would be a H-Stock killer if you wanted to get into it. You are allowed a catback exhaust also and still stay in the stock class amongst a few other small things.

But my car is supposed to run in SM (Street Mod) which is where the $20k + perfomance massaged cars that are barely street legal run. Why? Because I put on WRX front brakes. Yep, that's it... straight to SM. OEM forward compatible brakes that are a little larger than mine. SCCA Solo II is a little retarded in that respects. Oh, and moving my battery to the trunk also knocks me out of Stock class, also.

But that being said. Even with all of my mods, they still stuck me in H-Stock. My exhaust also didn't have the silencer in, either. People, uhhh... would pay attention everytime I took a run. And it was my first time, so I wasn't doing ALL that hot.

It would take one heck of an eye for someone to spot a 16g under your hood. Let alone someone know that that isn't the stock turbo. And believe it or not, I didn't even win my class. There was some guy there in a MX-3 hatch that had a factory V-6 in it... I've never even heard of those. Well, he had more experience and the driver makes the difference. We were close and the rest of the h-stock class were seconds behind us. It was sort of fun, but I much prefer road course, though.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
white_n_slow
In Neutral

Post by white_n_slow »

I drive a 92 civic vx, which used to be in H-stock... Seems odd that a legacy turbo and an econo-shitbox should run together... but then in my experience turbo and autocross don't mix very well.

Right now I'm making the transition from STS (the most crowded class in our division) to DSP (with usually only 3-12 guys running), hopefully I'll get a trophy next year :)

Warp3... if its just for kicks, they probably wont mind you mis-classing your car for one race. I dunno about your division, but here you class yourself, and as long as you don't trophy, nobody really gives a hoot as long as its only for one or two races. I've been technically illegal for STS for over a year. :D

Anyway, I'm not planning on making a serious racer out of my future subaru (since I already have an autox car), but was curious where I would end up if I decided to try it out. I asume a non-turbo 5-speed wagon is also H-stock? And they're all probably eligible for STS, I imagine?
non legacy owner.
white_n_slow
In Neutral

Post by white_n_slow »

I know what you're talking about brat4by4... the classing is so generalized that an insignificant mod throws you into a rediculous class... same thing happened with my brake swap, but since my car is so slow, they there was no reason to up-class me. The two winningest cars in H-stock in my division are a 84 crx dx and a 86 integra... both still slow-ass shitty cars, but with drivers you can't touch.
non legacy owner.
Warp3
First Gear

Post by Warp3 »

Brat4by4 wrote: But my car is supposed to run in SM (Street Mod) which is where the $20k + perfomance massaged cars that are barely street legal run. Why? Because I put on WRX front brakes. Yep, that's it... straight to SM. OEM forward compatible brakes that are a little larger than mine. SCCA Solo II is a little retarded in that respects. Oh, and moving my battery to the trunk also knocks me out of Stock class, also.
Assuming you are running 140+ treadlife tires (i.e., not R-compounds) then both those mods are legal in STX which isn't nearly as quick as SM.
Warp3... if its just for kicks, they probably wont mind you mis-classing your car for one race.
I'd probably want to run my race tires anyway (which aren't on factory sized wheels), so I'd be in FSP. I doubt any of the local FSP guys will say anything (nor even know about in the first place) the 16G turbo as long as I have no boost mods. I may try a couple local events in FSP for the heck of it. Then again, who am I kidding...I'll probably have a boost controller on this car in under a month anyway. :lol:
Shane
2006 Subaru WRX TR
1989 Toyota MR2
90LegAWD
First Gear

Post by 90LegAWD »

with my old civic i ran SM

the legacy will run HS
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

STS
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
NuwanD
Second Gear

Post by NuwanD »

haven't run a US event yet so i'm not sure where i'd be... in canada with the "CNAC" rules i get bumped from H-stock to FSP which blows cause i'm in a class where i get 15 prep points, none of which i've used

The rules account for adding a turbo system, and modifying boost control, but don't account for adding an intercooler to a stock turbo system that was never intercooled.... so my car falls between the cracks and I get bumped to a class that I have no chance in (unless i get coilovers, swaybars, and R's)... oh well

Still a fun time however :)
Nuwan
1992 Open Class Legacy Turbo
2004 Forester XT
2000 Impreza 2.5RSC (Supercharged)
1990 Rover Mini 1000
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Warp3 wrote:
Assuming you are running 140+ treadlife tires (i.e., not R-compounds) then both those mods are legal in STX which isn't nearly as quick as SM.
Our LTs aren't eligible for STX, because the upper displacement limit for forced induction engines is 2.0 liters (or at least that's what I got out of the rules...).

From what I could tell, we go pretty much straight from h-stock to FSP.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Oh, yeah.

I got stuck in FSP for the Subaru Challenge.

All I've got are RS springs, WRX GR-2s, and the coffee cup mod. I was also counting on having the intercooler on for that, though.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Warp3
First Gear

Post by Warp3 »

Doh...forgot about the 2.0L Forced Induction limit in STX...in that case a Legacy Turbo with big brakes goes to either STU (assuming your region runs the optional STU class) or SM. (You can't change the brake size in SP which is why I didn't list FSP as a choice.)

I'd recommend STU if your region offers it as the cars are lower power than SM (as boost mods are illegal in Street Touring classes) and you can run on street tires (140+ treadlife according to the ST rules).
Shane
2006 Subaru WRX TR
1989 Toyota MR2