Essay I wrote... subaru related, yes I'm obsessed

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

inzomniac
First Gear

Essay I wrote... subaru related, yes I'm obsessed

Post by inzomniac »

Well.. I belive that desperation, the fact that it was 2am, and indulging waaay too much Red Bull made me write this essay. We had to write a personal essay about something we knew well... and teachers in my school are sick of hearing about me talking about flying, so I went for something else I like. Let me know what you think of it... We were supposed to write in an abstract style (copying the format of another essay we read) I did well on the assignment if that counts for anything

Snow flies at the windshield and the steering wheel fights to wrench it’s self from your hands, you curse yourself for ever wanting to drive in this weather. Your washer fluid ran out almost 20k’s ago, to top things off, there’s no more coffee left in the cup. Then it happens. An array of bright lights come up from behind you and suddenly they’re in the snowbank, which during not so frigid times is another lane of her majesty’s highways. The lights get brighter until they disappear beside you only to be replaced by a blinding blizzard of snow following two menacing red dots dashing to the horizon. One thought occurs in your mind. “Only a fool would go that fast!” Only, you don’t understand it until you do it yourself.

Insanity had nothing to do with the mad driver’s speed on the road. In fact it was the opposite was true. Proper tire choice and the right car can allow you to travel safely at the speed limit even in times of poor weather. I remember times when I drove around with my father in his ill equipped van in such times of poor weather and also shared his disdain for the speeding motorists. The truth is that now both my father and I are those motorists seemingly speeding towards the horizon. The disdain is now reversed towards those who are ignorant enough to be ill prepared for the season and dive tentatively down the middle of a two lane highway at half the legal speed limit. Those people as the reckless ones. My father slows down as to not scare the drivers as he has felt their pain before. I however know nothing of their suffering. Only grip and control. They need only to get out of my way.

This sort of experience is only one of the things which will happen to you once you drive such a vehicle as mine. There are two possible explanation for my driving habits. It is either a warping of the mind due to excessive jubilation for your exquisite taste in cars. Or the simple fact that you can go where others can’t, and those who can can’t go nearly as fast. These sorts of experiences happen every day, passing straining cars in the snow is only one of the obvious reasons for liking my car. Many other things have made me feel this way about my car. The main fact is that it’s fast, really fast. But unlike most boy racer cars out there if you were to glance at it when parked, you’d probably laugh at me for owning it.

The fact that my car is capable of making me look like a madman during a winter blizzard is one thing. The fact that the car looks like something my grandparents would drive makes it even better. The best thing about the car is that nobody expects it to be fast, which means I don’t have the pathetic kids in their “fast” cars trying to race me every time I pull up to a light. Most people who don’t know me or my car laugh at me once they realize it’s modified, and someone actually took time to work on it. With the recent stupidity of most teenagers in modified vehicles it is an asset that my car does not instantly group me in with this crowd. Four doors and a subtle colour tend to make you invisible to all those who would look to harass a car like mine. “One of dem der imports making noise like a lawnmower and drivin’ too darn fast down George St. I hate all yous darn kids in your tacky burners killin’ our economy. I ain’t even gonna buy anything here no mores.” This was the intellectual statement of one a customer at my store when he saw our recent turn towards the younger market of sport compact drivers. They tend to use the cars to try and drag race each other around city streets. I am glad that my car’s low profile keeps me free from this restrictive stereotype. Drag racing was never intended to be the purpose of a sport compact car, fun is not in a straight line.

Leaving behind the shackles of the city for road ‘x’ in some county or leading to this lake or that town is where everything seems right. Any road is the right road, as long as it has a great deal of difficult corners and lots of loose gravel, snow or mud to make the corners that much harder to negotiate. Preferably these roads should be run when closed during a sanctioned event where speed is the aim. Once the egotistical youth are left behind in their own confusion on the city streets, freedom can be attained. Only when you’re flying over a crest with a car strapped to your back do you get it. It is why I drive what I drive. It is this feeling that the car knows it was built for a purpose, and it lives to fulfill that purpose. Although this may be hard to understand, once you get it you get it. Freedom exists where nobody else wants to go, yet you are called there. That little road that nobody else wants to drive because it is too far, too narrow, too twisty, or to slippery becomes your sanction.

Although I may be seen by many as ignorant for driving the speeds I drive on the roads I drive, step into my office and you too will understand my obsession. To most, I would seem lack taste, because of the visual appearance of what I choose to drive. The simple fact is that unless you too know reasons for this unlikely obsession, you will continue to see me in this unfair light. However unlikely it is that my car is capable of such things upon first glance means nothing to those who get it. And once you realize that on ‘that’ road you are truly free, the reasons for driving the car I have where I do becomes obvious. Freedom is marching with confidence where angels would fear to tread.
[/i]
Gary
1995 Legacy LS wagon
1991 Legacy Turbo - 5spd, JDM EJ20 conversion
1985 RX sedan - dual range 4WD, 5spd (P4 rally car)
random aircraft....
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Very Nice Gary!

Very well written.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

If I were your teacher, I'd give it an A just for being Subaru-related! :D

But even since your teachers aren't Subie freaks, it's no less of a properly-written essay. I, as a journalism major (so I just changed, that's beside the point :lol:), find it to be an excellent piece of literature. I would give it high marks from that perspective as well.'

I found the "it" especially well-done. It completes the paper IMO.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok