intercooler to throttle body pipe

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

TurboLegacy
First Gear

intercooler to throttle body pipe

Post by TurboLegacy »

the way i set mine up doenst seem to be working to well. i cut the oem hard pipe( turbo to throtte body) in half and put a coupling connecting that to the pvc pipe i used. and then another coupling attaching the pvc pipe to the intercooler. i then put a metal fitting in the pvc for my bov. the pvc pipe keeps moving around under boost and making weird moaning noises. i want to use some kind of metal piping, but can i use regular steel, or does it have to be stainless,or aluminum? are other people using their oem hard pipe cut in half, if not, what are u using? if the turbo outlet and the intercooler pipe were the same diameter it would be so much easier, i guess i would need an expanding pipe for it to work right. how much would this cost me to have a custom pipe made?
92 legacy turbo 5spd fwd-12 psi, tm intercooler bov, walbro 255.

81 chevy malibu- 400 sb, holley 600, edelbrock rpm, hooker headers, lunati voodoo cam,4spd muncie, 3:73 posi,monte c. swivel buckets, corvette rally wheels
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

PVC??? Not good man, for one it can melt. I'd use ABS (black pipe)
Regular exhaust pipe would be the way to go, just hit up a few muffler shops for quotes.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

go find an old turbo volvo at a junkyard and get some intercooler hose from it that will fit until you find something better. Just be careful with it, i split mine wide open at 11psi the other day.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
TurboLegacy
First Gear

Post by TurboLegacy »

k, thanks, actually the first pvc pipe i had got miss-shaped and kept popping off.

81 chevy malibu- 400 sb, holley 600, edelbrock rpm, hooker headers, lunati voodoo cam,4spd muncie, 3:73 posi,monte c. swivel buckets, corvette rally wheels
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

1st-generation DSMs have their blowoff valves mounted in a pipe going from the intercooler to the throttle body. This pipe is pretty appropriately shaped for use on an EJ22T with a Saab intercooler; it's what I'm using. An upper radiator hose for a 1992 Civic works well to connect the blowoff valve up; the DSM valve has a 26mm outlet instead of the stock one's 19mm, so the hose fits over the outside of the stock return fitting.

This picture isn't very good, but it's the only one of my engine bay that exists as far as I know:

http://www.thawa.net/bac52/Feed%20And%2 ... vhood1.jpg

I'll try to get better pictures.

But I highly recommend the DSM pipe. It's got beads to hold hoses and incorporates a slight bend as is needed here.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Here's a better picture:

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~v/pics ... legacy.jpg

The compressor outlet connects to the pipe with a piece of 1-3/4" coolant hose and the pipe connects to the intercooler with a 2-1/4" to 1-3/4" reducer. You could probably get away with using 2-1/4" hose instead of the reducer if you cinch the hose clamp down tight on the pipe; that's what I did for a while.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
TurboLegacy
First Gear

Post by TurboLegacy »

ok, with some work, i fixed my set up. i used a radiator hose that i found after looking out back at autozone. one side has a smaller inner diameter for the turbo and the other end has a larger inner diameter for the intercooler. i used a copper tee from home depot for my bov. now i dont get anymore weird noises and it is faster too. i think i might have has a small boost leak and not even known it. it pulls harder and i didnt touch the boost controller.

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Wow, that sounds like a neat and useful hose! Do you have the part number?

How did you affix the tee?
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I used aluminized pipe that I got at a muffler shop.

It cost me a few dollars.

Here's pics of when I used the stock compressor outet to TB piece:

Here's my new setup with a radiator hose I found at Advanced Auto Parts:

-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

Is that BPV fitting rusting?
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I think it was brazed on, and the braze kind of looks like rust in that photo.
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

Ok :)
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
TurboLegacy
First Gear

Post by TurboLegacy »

i dont know the part number , the sticker might be in my garage somewhere, ill check.

TurboLegacy
First Gear

Post by TurboLegacy »

i found the part number, its

885160 M-068 molded radiator hose, i used an exhaust expansion piece from the bigger end of the radiator hose to the size of the intercooler.

IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

That's about what I did.

Radiator hose for post-turbo bend and exhaust pipe for the main tube.

I just need to get my stuff all welded together, then it's going in.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I just had a pipe made. It was a 1 7/8" pipe flared to 2.25" and then welded to a 2.5" pipe with a 1.5" bung welded on for the BOV. I used a radiator hose for a Volvo (I think it was for a volvo, same one Matt used for his setup) and that was it.

Hopefully I'll be going front mount or at least WRX TMIC soon enough so I can ditch the ghetto setup.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

TurboLegacy - Cool... When I type that part number (M-068) into NAPA's web site it comes up with a radiator hose that is 1.75" ID on one end and 1.5" on the other end. Is that right? The compressor outlet is about 1.75".
TurboLegacy
First Gear

Post by TurboLegacy »

the smaller end fits perfectly over the turbo outlet, and the larger end isnt too much bigger, but enough to squeeze the exaust enlarger piece onto it and the exhaust piece expands to match the intercooler pipe inlet. im not sure about those dimensions, just that it works. i tried to look up the part number on napa , but all it gave me was an engine bearing set.

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Cool.
Cliff2.2
First Gear

Post by Cliff2.2 »

There are a ton of cheap silicone hoses on ebay that would probably work pretty well.