Need new tires

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Js92Tru
In Neutral

Need new tires

Post by Js92Tru »

Hey all!!!
I am currently looking to replace my worn Potenza RE 910s with an all season radial (size 205-55R16) for use on my present rims.

Most likely getting new "summer" rims and tires in the near future, so high speed performance is not needed.

Would like to get winter only tires except I do alot of sustained moderate speed driving (75-80 mph) on usually dry highway roads in the winter and don't want the added noise and reduced treadlife a winter tire would result in. I would also like a sturdier sidewall to improve turn in slightly but with a snow friendly tread design.

Please if you have any ideas on a good tire along with price let me know.

Thanks for any and all help.

Jay
For sale -'92 White Legacy Turbo Sedan (US Spec) STi shifter, STi strut Mounts, KYB AGX struts, Eibach Springs, 16" 97 GT rims, Potenza RE950 tires and others.
His - 99.5 Audi A4 1.8 TQMS (Brilliant Yellow) w/ some Mods
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I have a similar driving pattern, Im happy with my 78 dollar kuhmo exsta 712. The greatest part about these tires is that they have a better rating on tread compared to other tires with similar traction.

Rated at:
HR 360 VR 340 ZR 280 with traction AA and temperature A

These are directional tires so when rotating the only choice is front to back.
I dare you to find a better value! Check the data on tire rack. The other cool feature is that the side of the tire sticks out a little to act as a "rim protector."

Here is the manufacturers site
http://www.kumhotires.com/int/Tires/Pas ... n_name=712
zak
First Gear

Post by zak »

I also really like my Kumho Supra Escta 712's. I chose these after MUCH online research. The other tire I was looking at was the Sumitomo HTR ZZII. I went with the Kumho's since they had very good reviews, and people were buying second sets. I got them about 2K miles ago, and have so far been great. They are cheap, and perform quite well. Plus they have good tread life! Good luck-
Zak Malbin
1993 Legacy Turbo
Boost +, AWIC, 3" turbo back, intake, trailer hitch, etc.
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

js, fyi a 205/55-16 tire is 2.7% bigger than the stock tire size ratio. it will actually make you slower, and your speedo will read slower than you are actually going. i would recommend a 205/50-16 which is just under stock ratio by about -0.6%.

-Aaron. :o
92 Legacy Turbo \ 5MT \ Silver
Js92Tru
In Neutral

Post by Js92Tru »

Hmmm, I think perhaps I phrased my question wrong...

I have no doubt that the Ecsta 712's are a great tire, but I will need some snow traction.

Residing in southern Minnesota with frequent trips to the Duluth/Superior area reuires me to drive on highways that are usually well maintained in the winter (plowing and sanding) but at occasional times leave some traction to be desired.

The Ecsta 712's appear to be an ultra high performance tire with no snow rating (per tirerack). What I need (I think) is a high performance all-season radial with a better than average snow rating for my winter only tires.

Thanks

Jay

ps. Aaron thanks for the heads up. I will look into it but I belive that my speedo is actually reading fast at the moment (or everyone around here is a speed demon :twisted: ) so the larger ratio may bring my speedo into check.
For sale -'92 White Legacy Turbo Sedan (US Spec) STi shifter, STi strut Mounts, KYB AGX struts, Eibach Springs, 16" 97 GT rims, Potenza RE950 tires and others.
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

js, how about the dunlop sp5000. they are a good allseason tire or you could just get strictly snow tire.
92 Legacy Turbo \ 5MT \ Silver
-K-
Third Gear

Tirerack

Post by -K- »

Go to tirerack.com and check the customer survey. Just check what all-season rated high on the snow category.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
scottcnelson
In Neutral

Nokian Hakkapelitta Q's

Post by scottcnelson »

I know what yer saying. I’ve often found the answers don’t seem to match the original query. I live in Denver where it snows infrequently but sometimes heavily. Also there are trips up the Rockies in the winter where weather is unpredictable. So, I also want tires that will run well in the dry, but are available for snowstorms. Keep in mind, snows will run better in the winter even in the dry because their tire compounds are formulated for low temperature adhesion. I find the Nokian Hakkapelitta Q's fit my needs nicely. Nokian, being a Finnish firm, is prolly the only manufacturer of snows offering an entire LINE of winter tires with different characteristics.

http://www.nokiantires.com/indexen.html[/url]
Js92Tru
In Neutral

Post by Js92Tru »

Yeah, the Nokians are a good tire, my mom runs them on her Audi 5000 up where it does drop the snow but I have found that they do not provide the side stiffness that I desire resulting in a bouncy driving on a cloud type ride.

So agian, I decided on a set of Bridgestone Potenzas. The 950s price of 119 a peice from sears didn't break the bank (strangely enough they are $10 a peice cheaper than the oem Potenza re92s.

As far as first impressions go I like them a lot. They provide enough grip for my spirited driving without making the ride too harsh, have yet to see them in the snow however but if they are anything like the Potenza RE910s that I had previously they will be just fine. Odd thing is they are louder at lower speeds but quieter at higher speed than the 910s were also, strange. For a third time then, I went with a Potenza series tire, they havent "steered" me wrong yet! (pun very intended)

Jay