Intermittant Adjustable wiper delay (adding it on) PICS NOW!

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Intermittant Adjustable wiper delay (adding it on) PICS NOW!

Post by dscoobydoo »

Since we don't have them, I have been searching for a way to get them.

On the RS forums, someone said that they could swap out the 02 wrx ones into the 01RS. Then it was posted that this is (may be) possible for early legacy's.

Does anyone know? - Has anyone tried? I plan on hitting the parts house tomorrow and see.
Last edited by dscoobydoo on Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

OK, I sucked up the $75 and ordered part # 83113ac480

You might want 2.5 hours when you do this mod.

I now have ADJUSTABLE intermittant wipers. I have to wonder why these did not come factory on the Turbo cars.

This install was not easy, so if you want a walk-thru, I can write one up. But it is SOOOOOO nice in the rain!
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

What exactly is the part? Is it the wiper control module? The stalk? Both?

Do you have pictures of the part?
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

The part has the wiper control and the stalk. I will post pictures later tonight. I Still have the dash half apart, so it should not be a problem.
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

LS and LSi's have this feature.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

OK, my camera drivers don't seem to work, so it will be a week until I can get the pics up, but it was a relatively painless install, (once you know what to do).

The stalk, circuitboard and about 6 inches of loom ( in one piece) are what you have to swap out.

You will need a 12mm wrench, and alot of small phillips screwdrivers. Nothing special.
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
Subaru_Nation555
Third Gear

Post by Subaru_Nation555 »

Awesome. If you can get the pics to work, post em up because I have always wanted intermittent wipers. Good work.
'06 Impreza 2.5i wagon
Warp3
First Gear

Post by Warp3 »

Is the technique basically the same as on the 2.5RS? I did this mod to my RS a few months back (via the instructions on the RS25.com forums) and it was ridiculously easy. Then when I bought the 91 Legacy Turbo, one of my early thoughts was: "Hmmm...this wiper stalk looks an awful lot like the one in the RS...I wonder if the same mod works."

Also, what is the application for that part number? The part I used on my RS (83114AE110) was for a 2002/2003 WRX.
Shane
2006 Subaru WRX TR
1989 Toyota MR2
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

Awesome. My steering column is still apart, so I would be interested in what you have to do to swap. It would be quite easy for me to do now... nothing to take apart.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

CHECK THE EDITS!

Ok- the part works for 91-97?? Legacy and 93-97 Impreza ( or so I think I remember)

The 2.5 RS stalk has no loom, the plug is part of the assembly. This part has a 6 inch loom between the stalk and plug.

original stalk

intermittant added stalk

Hell, I can type up a walk-through now, just will have to edit/add pictures later.

Tools you will need:
Various sizes, lengths phillips screwdrivers and a 12mm wrench.

#1. Remove the lower dash cover. ( five screws and the piece is off)
#2. Remove the steering column covers. ( Four screws) ( be careful when removing the top cover as that the pieces that accept the screw ends might break off if you are not careful)

#3. remove the metal plate that protects the wiring looms. ( 12mm nuts on left and right side, and 2 screws from below.)
should look like this at this point.

Now, there will be four wiring looms taped together with white tape, and there should be two zip ties. Cut them all loose.
Separate the wiring loom that is for the wiper assembly. ( this should be the loom with about 8 wires and is 1 inch by 1/2 inch white connector.)

There will be two screws holding the stalk into the column collar. These will be hard to get at. Take your time.

Now the fun part. The loom will loop up into an area that you can't feed the end connector back through. There is a small black collar attached to the column assembly. ( by this point, if you followed the loom back, you will see what I mean. I will post pictures for ease later.)

You will have to remove about 2-3 screws from this collar so it can be moved to allow the loom to pass through. Be careful in that you only remove what you have to, and when you try to squeeze the loom through, you don't break anything. ( THIS IS THE HARDEST PART)

Reverse for assembly!

It took me 2 hours ( in the dark) to figure it out and get it apart, and 20 minutes in the day to put it back together. So that should give you an idea- that in the day, with the right tools, it should take you no more than an hour)

Pics to come in a few days.
Last edited by dscoobydoo on Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
ej22t
Second Gear

Post by ej22t »

Waiting for the pics , and thanks for the useful mod.

Ben
92 Legacy turbo with EJ20G engine swap \(^0^)/
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

I may go looking for LS's and LSi's now :)
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

So its just a matter of unplugging a harness and putting the new one in? Sweet! I will try to take some pics of my steering column since I have it apart right now.

And if someone finds more than one stalk with the feature, let me know.

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

So is there a "kit" that we can buy that will add this adjustability? Is the adjustability feature something only in the stalk? So if we swap stalks, it'll work?

Is the part # posted above one that will work for our cars, or would we need one from a an lsi or something? I can look up the part # when I get home.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

The part # I posted is the one you need to get, or you can scrounge one from a LS or LSi ( or so has been posted in here).

It is a direct swap= stalk+loom go together.

I did the swap and it works fine. Takes about an hour ( Unless you do this in the cold and dark like me, then multiply times 3)
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Just a quick note: These parts are specific to wagons or sedans. If you have a sedan, you need the switch from/for a sedan. And if you have a wagon, you need it to be from/for a wagon. I guess that's because of the rear wiper switch.

If you're buying it new, the wagon part number is 83113AA520.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I think I knew that, but having a sedan, I tend to skip the fact that wagons have a different part #.

I originally found this info on the 2.5 Rs forum.

As many know there's a similar thread on Nasioc that involves some talk about adding adjustable wiper delay to pre-1998 GC-GF-GMs. Hopefully there's a Legacy switch that would fit. The problem is that somehow, Subaru as well as aftermarket part books do not list a separate part number for vehicles equipped with airbags, saying instead that wiper and light switches are "serviced with combination switch assembly". That couldn't be right because those switches obviously do come off. My guess is that the switches are the same for vehicles with and w/o airbags, and the most likely part number for an adjustable switch to fit 1993-97 Impreza is 83113AC480/83113AA520 (sedan/wagon). They are listed for Legacy LS through 1993, supposedly w/o airbag, but all '93 must have had one, for the driver anyway. And starting with '94, only the p/n for complete combo switch is given. Can the part gurus (you know who you are) please help clarify this matter for us "old old skool" owners?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Variable-delay swaps have now been reported on NASIOC for a 1996 Impreza and a 1999 Legacy. The part numbers for the adjustable wiper switch are 83113AC480 for sedans, and 83113AA520 for wagons. These numbers are good for 1993-97 Impreza and 1990-99 Legacy (both with and w/o airbag).
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

Finally updated and with pics!
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

Sweet! How much more does the new stalk & loom weigh than the old one... don't wanna knock down my hp/weight ratio too much ;)

dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

Well, those few ounces can make a difference.

Hell, leave the lower steel plate off- that would shave a few pounds.

while you are at it;
dump the rear seats, passenger seat, spare tire, trunklid, mud flaps, hood- (better airflow this way) :lol: go to rs rims - 16lbs each, put helium in the tires, etc etc
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
gnuman
First Gear

Post by gnuman »

Does this part # have the intermitant rear wiper control?
or is that a different stalk?
1992 Legacy L Wagon 'Emily" Ice Blue, plush seats, roof rack, towing hitch, upgraded radio/CD player, LS alloy wheels, and lots of love! 180K miles and going very strong!
You will get my Legacy from me when you pry my cold dead fingers from the wheel.
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

if you want that option, the wagon stalk should have it. ( as i think the impreza wagons had that) but check the dealer before ordering
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
avk
In Neutral

Post by avk »

The variable-delay control is incorporated into the switch and stalk assembly. In the intermittent mode, the power to the wiper motor is pulsed, as if you were periodically pulling the stalk towards yourself.
The curcuitry is pretty much the same between adjustable and non-adjustable switches. Perhaps the only difference is a variable resistor in the stalk.
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

Its worth it, I did this yesterday. Went to the pick and pull and got one off of a 1990 Lsi. Instead of removing the steel plate, I just pulled the wires out of the harness plug and pulled them through. It only took about 15 minutes. A real steal for the $15 I got it for.
1994 ABM Sport Sedan-Not stock
1990 L series/turbo-Rally project
Subaru_Nation555
Third Gear

Post by Subaru_Nation555 »

Any idea if these pictures are still floating around?
'06 Impreza 2.5i wagon