The Mudfest that was Ramada Express 2004!

Autocross, Rallycross, ProRally, Drag, WRC, F1 etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

rB5
First Gear

The Mudfest that was Ramada Express 2004!

Post by rB5 »

My friend and I found ourselves in lovely Laughlin, wanting to do some real spectating rather than the Super Special that would happen the next day in front of the hotel. So off we went towards the lovely town of Peach Springs where we entered the Hualapai Nation and tried to spectate (‘tried’ is the key word here) We narrowly missed the Hualapai airport service break and started chasing down the rally through stage 8/9 but we didn't see ANYBODY near the stage start, which we thought was a bit strange. Well, the stage was cancelled because it was “impassable” due to mud. We, of course, didn't find this out until we got back to the rally HQ and ended up plowing through (in the most literal sense) 50'-100' patches of pure Grand Canyon West MUD! The troughs created by the few recce and Open class cars that had earlier run through it must have been about 2' deep. It was like driving in Autopia-From-Hell with the sludge yanking the Legacy's tires whichever way it pleased. After we made it through the ‘impassable’ stage in the daily-driven wagon, my co-driver admitted that his silence during the excursion was mainly due to his belief that we would be stuck in the middle of nowhere overnight in 2' deep mud, near-freezing temps, with no cel-phone service and all of the rally officials & sweep crews long gone... Way better than spectating! :)

Congrats to Barret for hanging on and earning 3rd in PGT, 11th overall despite having only 3rd gear at the end, and Chris (rally370) on 4th in PGT! Rob, in his Legacy Turbo had total tranny failure Sat. but was looking strong until then.

Random pics: http://www.williwood.com/motor/laughlin04.html
Full results: http://rimoftheworldrally.com/scoring/R ... esults.htm

-B

[/url]
2000 2.5RS Sedan
1996 Impreza L Wagon
1998 Outback [gone]
1998 Legacy GT wagon [gone] :(
1993 Legacy Touring Wagon [gone] :(
1988 Mazda 323 GTX [gone] :(
jake15
Fourth Gear

Post by jake15 »

that looks like it was fun... i wish i could have gone :evil: dumb school. this grey legacy in the picture, was built by my dads shop.... its quite the little sleeper. how did he do?
90' legacy built ej257 gt30r 6spd r180 and brembos Bitches 402whp @22psi :D -sexy red
94' Impreza wagon AWD 2.2ltr rally wagon FTW!
rB5
First Gear

Post by rB5 »

Ah, yes, we know him well 8) The Legacy did very well during recce. It had a full coat of mud (the minor stuff in the pic above was after he cleaned it...) We spent about 45 minutes at the pressure washer trying to rinse the leftovers off our cars.

-B
2000 2.5RS Sedan
1996 Impreza L Wagon
1998 Outback [gone]
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

I didn't know the Monster was with you :D Looks like you guys had fun regardless of your spectating difficulties.

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
rB5
First Gear

Post by rB5 »

Spectating difficulties? The only better spectating I've had is Rim of the World 2003 on a high speed night stage in the rain watching the headlights fly by us! :twisted: And yes, Teh Monster & I usually trek to Garden Spots like Palmdale, Laughlin, Hillsboro, Bangor, and many, many other ditches of roadside America (sometimes Canada too!), in search of rally “spectating” opportunities... Next up: Pikes Peak in June!

-B
2000 2.5RS Sedan
1996 Impreza L Wagon
1998 Outback [gone]
rally370
Second Gear

Post by rally370 »

Hey Branden

Nice to see you out there! Looks like you had as much fun as we did.It took three car washes to get the mud off of the Xterra!

Photo's coming soon.

Cheers

Chris