tranny whine

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

patcal
First Gear

tranny whine

Post by patcal »

I think I may have a problem. I am getting gear whine when I am in gear & let off the gas. It is most noticable in 3rd gear but it is there in all gears. I only notice it when I am off the gas. I have changed all the fluids when I bought the car in September. Any ideas? Am I doomed?

Pat Callaghan
95 Legacy Outback
2.2L, 5-spd, AWD Wagon
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

What kind of fluids did you use in the drivetrain?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
patcal
First Gear

Post by patcal »

Valvoline GL5 80W-90 I believe.
Pat Callaghan
94 Legacy Ti Wagon
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Hmm. Subaru specifies 75W90, I think, but I don't see how the slightly more viscous oil would cause whining. And I don't think it would increase wear too much.

When I changed my gear oil out for Redline MT-90 (which is GL-4, not GL-5), I started hearing gear whine when coasting in gear as well. I guessed that the sound was coming from the differential which was complaining about the reduced EP additive level of the oil, but I don't know for sure.

Have you checked the gear oil level since September?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
patcal
First Gear

Post by patcal »

I had checked it twice about 2 weeks apart after I changed it. Not since. Maybe time to check it again. I have no signs of leakage but maybe I will change it again & look for anything in the oil. The oil that I originally drained out was not bad but my tranny drain plug was leaking so I figured to just change everything while I was there.
Pat Callaghan
94 Legacy Ti Wagon