Performance clutch for EJ22?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

sammydafish
Third Gear

Performance clutch for EJ22?

Post by sammydafish »

I've got a 90 wagon EJ22, AWD. The clutch is pretty weak in it right now, a quick shift will cause it to slip. for the time beeing, I'm just playing nice with it. My turbo kit is almost done though. If I get the tank for my torch filled today I'll probably finish it up this weekend. That's going to mean lots more power and no way to put it to the ground. So, what do I get? I've been doin a little shoppin around, and the only thing I found for the EJ22 scoobs is clutchmasters. What else is there?

I dunno how old this clutch is, it could be the original. How much power does a fresh stock clutch hold?

What's different between a EJ22 NA and turbo clutches? How much can the turbo hold and what would I need to switch to that clutch?
- Junior
90L Wagon EJ22E on Toyota CT-26 boost -- Crushed!
95L Wagon on T3/T4 boost :)
www.trdsupra.com [b][url=http://trdsupra.com/library/forsale/]Cheap parts![/url][/b][quote="Imprezive"]alright, I give up, I'm going to NASIOC...[/quote]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Turbo clutches can't be put on non-turbo transmissions, at least not without a lot of work.

I believe you can use any clutch meant for any non-turbo Legacy/Impreza/etc. So I'd look for clutches intended for RS-T folks.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

the stock clutch is barely adequate IMO. You say it slips on a fast shift, but the sign of a shot clutch is a slip in high gear pulling a hill

your clutch may not be shot, welcome to the Shitty Subaru Clutch Club (SSCC)
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

I beleive the 2.5 rs clutch fits.
The turbo has a pull type clutch, is totally different, and about $200 more.

http://www.ninosautoaccessories.com/pro ... ucts_id=63
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

well, heat the thing up with one hard shift and it'l slip in every gear if you're even moderatly agressive on the throttle.

vrg, are you sure about 2.5 clutches? I've got to imagine there are some decent clutch options for 2.5rs cars.

I guess not a lot of people here up the power enough to need a clutch? Damn, and I was going to ask what it takes to break halfshafts next. So much for my dream of 7k drops on boost spinning all 4 :(

Don't you love free cars :D
- Junior
90L Wagon EJ22E on Toyota CT-26 boost -- Crushed!
95L Wagon on T3/T4 boost :)
www.trdsupra.com [b][url=http://trdsupra.com/library/forsale/]Cheap parts![/url][/b][quote="Imprezive"]alright, I give up, I'm going to NASIOC...[/quote]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure all non-turbo EJ clutches are interchangeable, as rallitektech also says.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

the non-turbo EJ clutches are interchangeable.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

I was going to ask which NA clutches were good for 200 whp, but I seem to have found my answer.
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Exedy. It's been holding my power for 20,000 miles or so now, and going strong.

I'll probably run this setup until I can get the tranny made.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

ok since im doing a EJ22T swap into my N/A car wit the N/A tranny... does that mean ill be looking for an N/A clutch? im gettin a lil confused here. and yea i would like to find a clutch for it as well. mite as well do that since im doing the swap. any help is appreciated. thanks

Don
00 5MT AWD 2.5 RS - New Project
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yes, you get whatever clutch setup/type that your transmission is meant for.

If you had an n/a tranny, then you get an n/a push type clutch, regardless of the motor.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

Don, get an NA exedy, it's worth it. Ask Jake or Robbie, too, they've seen some high-er powered legacies, so they have some real-world idea of what kind of power the clutches can handle.
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
Innovative Tuning
Second Gear

Post by Innovative Tuning »

The NA cars don't all use the same clutch. Here are four different ones:
1.8L NA 2WD
1.8L NA 4WD
97+ NA 2.5L
90+ NA 2.2L

Spec makes a clutch for the 90 legacy with 2.2L that holds 275 lb/ft of torque and engages nice and smooth. If you want to get more serious they have a 6 puck sprung hub clutch that holds 380 lb/ft. Spec clutches work great and they're cheap. I'd give you prices, but I don't know how this board handles that and I don't want to do the wrong thing....I may already have by suggesting a part. Mods be mercifull and tell me what the guidelines are if I've over-stepped my boundaries. :)

-Mike
Last edited by Innovative Tuning on Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Innovative Tuning, I think what you are supposed to do is PM Josh (Legacy777) or Dave (DLC) and ask about becoming a vendor. Then you can post stuff in the vendors' forum and stuff.

Where do you get your information about clutch incompatibility? I'm not saying 2WD EJ18s use the same clutch as 97 EJ25s, but I thought they were interchangeable.
Innovative Tuning
Second Gear

vrg3 wrote:Innovative Tuning, I think what you are supposed to do is PM Josh (Legacy777) or Dave (DLC) and ask about becoming a vendor. Then you can post stuff in the vendors' forum and stuff.

Where do you get your information about clutch incompatibility? I'm not saying 2WD EJ18s use the same clutch as 97 EJ25s, but I thought they were interchangeable.
Gotcha. Is suggesting a part over the line? I'm basically on this board to give/receive some info on the legacy turbo, not to sell parts. I'm a vendor on NASIOC for that. This seems like more of an intellectual gathering than a business oriented site.

After further investigation, I see some companies use different clutches based on holding needs but it looks like all 2.2L and 2.5L AWD NON turbo subys from 90 on CAN use the same clutch. Make sure you get one that meets your holding needs though. ;)

-Mike
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I don't make or enforce any rules, but I don't think it's over the line, since it seems that you're just trying to offer a helpful suggestion, and you made it pretty clear that you do also sell the stuff so it's not like you're hiding a conflict of interest.

Becoming a vendor on Legacy Central isn't a big deal... you're right that it's more of a place to exchange ideas than to sell stuff. I'd say to just shoot Josh or Dave a PM.

Yeah, I was pretty sure that they'd all interchange physically. But you're saying that only applies to all AWD clutches -- are FWD clutches physically different in fitment?
Innovative Tuning
Second Gear

vrg3 wrote:I don't make or enforce any rules, but I don't think it's over the line, since it seems that you're just trying to offer a helpful suggestion, and you made it pretty clear that you do also sell the stuff so it's not like you're hiding a conflict of interest.

Becoming a vendor on Legacy Central isn't a big deal... you're right that it's more of a place to exchange ideas than to sell stuff. I'd say to just shoot Josh or Dave a PM.

Yeah, I was pretty sure that they'd all interchange physically. But you're saying that only applies to all AWD clutches -- are FWD clutches physically different in fitment?
Fair enough. As far as the FWD vs. AWD clutch bit goes...I'm really not sure. I know that Spec and ACT specify AWD only, but I've never sold a clutch for a FWD Suby or installed one, to know if they're really different.

I just called ACT, and they told me the FWD clutch is not interchangeable, but again I'm not sure that's true.

-Mike
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

FWD clutches are the same as the AWD clutches.....I had this discussion on nasioc with some guys not too long ago.

As for the vendor thing....you can post/make suggestions. The whole "vendor" thing on here is so you can post in the vendor garage forum...that's it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Innovative Tuning
Second Gear

Legacy777 wrote:FWD clutches are the same as the AWD clutches.....I had this discussion on nasioc with some guys not too long ago.

As for the vendor thing....you can post/make suggestions. The whole "vendor" thing on here is so you can post in the vendor garage forum...that's it.
Got it.
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

wow cool. thanks for all the info. sounds great... do u kno where i may find these clutches? for instance, a website of some sort? talking about the Spec clutches u mentioned. thanks

Don
Innovative Tuning
Second Gear

Project_Legacy wrote:wow cool. thanks for all the info. sounds great... do u kno where i may find these clutches? for instance, a website of some sort? talking about the Spec clutches u mentioned. thanks

Don
PM with links sent Don.
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

Innovative Tuning - so there are 4 different kinds of N/A clutchs? they ARE interchangeable tho rite? i just want to make sure that i buy the rite one. :D
Innovative Tuning
Second Gear

They are interchangeable but they have different load ratings depending the vehicle the application was designed for.

-Mike
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

kool. thanks for lettin me kno!