kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Post by kimokalihi »

Guy on NASIOC finally got back to me on the block. He sold it. :( Oh well I guess I'll just forget about it for a while. I've got some little mods to do in the meantime. Finish wiring my gauges up and make the gauge pods. I have some wiring to do under the hood and I might wire tuck my harness and run new brake lines and get rid of the ABS and relocate my coolant overflow tank into the fender and my battery into the trunk. Lots of cool ideas I have floating around :)
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

What about a lightweight, compact battery instead? Look into the Odyssey PC680 or something. Weighs about 15 lbs. Relocating the battery to the trunk will add weight from the cables and additional brackets. I'd guess in the end it would save you 50 lbs or more and the price is like an Optima.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

[quote="evolutionmovement"]What about a lightweight, compact battery instead? Look into the Odyssey PC680 or something. Weighs about 15 lbs. Relocating the battery to the trunk will add weight from the cables and additional brackets. I'd guess in the end it would save you 50 lbs or more and the price is like an Optima.[/quote]
The weight increase is offset by the placement, though. The best option is a lightweight battery mounted in the rear.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I wasn't looking to lose weight or even transfer it just wanted a nice clean easy to work on engine bay. I already spent $175 on my battery. It's brand new so I'm not gonna buy another one.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I disagree. Lightweight batteries generally have less power and running 15 feet of cable or so is going to tax that even further and then you're only talking an extra 15 pounds in the rear +/- the terminals and cables (distributed the length of the car), which is less than the spare tire and going to do almost nothing to improve weight distribution (also, the small, light battery could probably be mounted low behind the fender, in front of the tire). Then there's the work of mounting it and running all the cables, the increased point of failure, loss of trunk space (if you're going with the performance compromise of a sedan, why reduce the practicality?). Cable's not free, either—you'll probably have to get at least 2 20' rolls, so you're probably looking at about $150 for 2 ga stranded (which is the minimum size I'd run for that distance) before you factor brackets and terminals—which is going to cost more than an Odyssey battery. I see losing ~1.5% of the weight to be better than moving that weight around. But, really, it seems there are far more pressing concerns with the car than this.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Alright so I might be getting some money soon. I want to fix my car. It's either fix the car or part it out. I don't want to let it sit there and get another mouse infestation. I don't really want to part it out either mainly because it's my baby and I've dumped hundreds of hours into it over the last 2 years.

What do you guys think I should do with my engine? I'm thinking either 2.5 block rebuilt with new pistons, 2.5 crank, new rings, new bearings, along with my EJ20G heads and probably a valve job on the heads or EJ22T block with 2.5 crank and new pistons.

What could I do with $1,000-$1,500? Rob says the ECU can run a 2.5 block and I'm only really limited by how much flow the MAF can read. I would go buy another EJ20G and drop it right in but I'm afraid it will fail again in one way or another.

Also, I talked to my friend's step dad and he's a diesel mechanic and after telling him what happened with my engine he thinks it was probably bad piston rings that caused the detonation either from letting oil into the cylinder or by letting air in and leaning the mixture out.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

[quote="kimokalihi"].......What could I do with $1,000-$1,500? ..........[/quote]

Pay off some of your bills? :P

Seriously, for that amount I would look into rebuilding your shortblock with forged pistons. By the time you include gaskets, pumps, seals, and machine work.....$1500 doesn't go as far as expected. At least it didn't for me.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Another question, should I replace the oil pump? The one I have on the EJ20G only has 3K miles on it but I'm slightly worried about the piece of metal in the oil and the fact that the oil looks like someone sprinkled glitter in it.

I want the car to be faster though. Especially on the low end. Not sure I want to spend that much money on it if it's not going to be any faster.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

You can always seal up the holes for storage. If there isn't an access hole, they'll have no reason to try to get in.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

A good rebuild with forged stuff is going to cost you $1,500 - $2,000 depending on what you put in. Rebuilding these motors requires very meticulous care to details.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

You saw this one, right? It could be a cheap way for you to get back into the car.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=2060599
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

mike-tracy wrote:You saw this one, right? It could be a cheap way for you to get back into the car.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=2060599
Yeah I saw that on craigslist but it's going to need just as much work as mine and it's still a 2.0. My block is fine the cylinders were hardly scratched so they won't need much.
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Thanks but that's not gonna be any better than the other shortblock that's for sale. Any shortblock I buy is going to be torn down, gone over and had some new parts put in it unless it's already been rebuilt. And that one is $150 more than the other one that's on craigslist and NASIOC.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

If you're going to rebuild any block you get anyway, why not rebuild the block you have w/ .030 over forged pistons?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I want more power.
darkcrave
Second Gear

Post by darkcrave »

Part # for these??
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I believe you're looking for part 19 in this diagram. Part number is 633046020 and cost $1.87 on 1stsubaruparts.com

Subiel94
Second Gear

Post by Subiel94 »

ok first off your car looks awesome! i love all the work you did. it looks great! your wells look awesome on it. i really am digging the white on black look! sorry to hear about your engine tho...
i do have a question for you on earlier pages i saw you replaced all your shifter bushings springs and everything. would you so kindly give me all the part numbers and where you got your polyurethene bushings so i can replace my crappy and worn out ones. my shifter just flops all the time sometimes its hard to find the gears... haha but if you could let me know i would be very appreciative of that.
Subiel94
Second Gear

Post by Subiel94 »

I moved my battery to my trunk in my old prelude. I liked it. It didn't add any extra weight you run one wire. And then I pu the battery in a battery box. It was plastic. Can't get any lighter. I moved mine for a cold air intake. Just my .2
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Thanks Subiel94! There's a few threads on this already which I also posted pictures and part numbers in and so did others.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=37134

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... r+bushings

The urethane bushings I used for the rod were for a WRX and I bought them on ebay I think or amazon.com. Just find out what they're called and search ebay and google shopping for the cheapest location. Also don't forget to replace the big rectangle bushing that bolts to the trans tunnel that the shift linkage sits in. Kart Boy is makes one and I got mine from them.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Deride
Second Gear

Post by Deride »

Sweet! A new tire!
2002 Impreza 2.0RS 6MT
2001 Impreza 2.5RS 5MT (winter beater)
1992 Jeep Cherokee
1994 SS 5MT RIP
1991 SS 5MT *SOLD*
1996 Legacy Outback 5MT *SOLD*
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Looks kinda tall, too. You gonna lift the SS and make it a offroad subie, Kimo?
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

^^Ouch, I had a set of those, Bridgestone HP 50's. A good handling all season.