Installing JDM AWIC

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Kostamojen
In Neutral

Post by Kostamojen »

All of the tranny/oil coolers ive seen so far have too small of openings.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

How large of openings are you looking for?
Kostamojen
In Neutral

Post by Kostamojen »

30mm, to match the pump and the intercooler.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Two coolers with 3/8 input running in parrallel would be more than that.
Kostamojen
In Neutral

Post by Kostamojen »

You mean two as in one on each side of the front of the radiator right?
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Yeah, one filling the passenger side and one filling the drivers side. Brass T fittings aren't too hard to get, Im using them on my transmission cooler that is parrallel to the stock cooler.
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

I'm not quite following, are you saying that you'd split the line going to the "radiator" parts, and then rejoin them on their way back?

How come I've not thought of doing that before?
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Exactly, less restriction and pressure build up. Even if you get one large cooler I suggest splitting into two parts (easy with tube style).
Kostamojen
In Neutral

Post by Kostamojen »

Ok, but the one I had before looks like its about 1/4th the flow of the pump/intercooler in terms of size http://community.webshots.com/photo/112 ... 1865JjMZQS So from what you are saying, I would need 4 of those... But it is a good idea, and I could probably do that and get by without a resevoir as with two radiators thats about 50% more capacity in the system.
Kostamojen
In Neutral

Post by Kostamojen »

Man, the aussie legacy folks are stingy on any info about the air-water system...
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

Time to bump an old thread with new information. :D
I got a chance to hang out with Marc Rameriz (aka Xephyr) at the auto-x last weekend and take a really good look at hit EJ22T powered RS-T w/AWIC. His AWIC is a huge unit that was custom made by PDM. Obviously, most of us aren't going to use something like this, but I do know of two PDM units currently for sale for someone looking for some bling in their AWIC. But back to the tech. I talked to him for about an hour on this and he gave me part#'s an locations to get them.

For starters, his reservoir is a Lexan Nalgene bottle, of all things. It has a hole drilled in the side and is strapped to the firewall behind the exchanger. The rest of his set up is very similar to what Ciper suggests.
He is using a pair of tranny coolers. They are B&M units model#70266. You can find them at www.Jegs.com , a muscle car mail order house, for $59.99 each. They are rated at 28,000 GVW and are 11"x8"x1 1/2". I haven't taken the time to measure the fit on my Legacy yet, but he did not have to cut anything on his car. But he has also removed his AC. I have a hardcopy of the Jegs catalog and there are some thinner units that may be more appropriate for someone with AC.

For a pump he is using a marine unit that he got from http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com/ It is listed under syclone/typhoon intercooler pumps. He uses the cheap $55 Johnson one.
In his car it is mounted inside the driver side bumper right at the bottom corner. All his pipes run low along the frame and out of sight once they leave the exchanger.

I will be using his set up as the basis for my AWIC on the EJ20G using the stock exchanger. My pump will be mounted higher because I have the stock piping/brackets that are attached to the driver's side intake manifold. I am likely only using one of the tranny cooler's on this car as it will "only" be 240-250, as opposed to Marc's which is close to twice that. :twisted: But then he assures me his set up is safe up to 600hp, so I think I will do alright with half as much cooling. I will do a more complete right up along with pictures, in a new thread once I get all the parts, take measurements, etc. But I just wanted to put some info out there for folks who may be waiting for a bit more guidance before diving in with their own set ups...
1974 Porsche 914 Cam Am Limted Edition AKA the Bumble Bee
1973 Porsche 914 2.0 l -Suby swap pending
1968 Porsche 911t survivor 47k original miles
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
1999 2.5RS w/ 50+ extra whp
Suby Hai!
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Do you have pictures of the brackets for the AWIC?

Check this out - Grassroots Motorsports has an article this month on 'Waterless Cooling' for a Mustang. Its about a coolant substitute put out by Evans called NPG (non-aqueous propylene glycol). The boiling point is 369 deg (375 for a version called NPG+) and the surface tension is half that of water. The only issue in upgrading a cooling system seems to be a lower pressure cap and a larger expansion tank, although they also recommend a higher flow pump. For an AWIC I think the expansion tank and cap would not be a concern since it doesn't get hot enough.

www.evanscooling.com

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

I can take pictures of the brackets and post them some time over the weekend. They are basically two aluminum pipes that are about 14" long and 1" in diameter that are parallel to the ground running from the AWIC toward the radiator...
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
Suby Hai!
Kostamojen
In Neutral

Post by Kostamojen »

Forgot to mention, I saw a EJ22 air/water intercooled Impreza L at the I-club Buttonwillow track day, but it was using an oil cooler of all things in the trunk to cool the water. Took some pics :)

http://community.webshots.com/photo/128 ... 2581iBkDQB

http://community.webshots.com/photo/128 ... 7048awaDZx

http://community.webshots.com/photo/128 ... 7563NbTeHx
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

That's an EJ22?

It looks like it's got the EJ20G intake and intake manifold.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

yep,
he's even got the brackets and piping on the driver's side manifold that I was talking about, which BTW, I totally misdescribed the sizing last night. They are more like 1/2" in diameter...
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
Suby Hai!
TheSubaruJunkie
Fourth Gear

Post by TheSubaruJunkie »

How about something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... gory=43972

I also found a pump at JCWhitney that'll pump 3.2gallons a minute. Which is about 12.3liters a minute. Would that be sufficient? Im thinking of getting this 2 radiator setup, and having them mounted inside the bumper, or under the bumper, kinda like a front mount IC.

-Brian
1983 Subaru GL-10 Brat
1986 Toyota 4Runner
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

By the way, be careful with cheap pumps. I personally wouldn't get anything but a centrifugal type pump. The other kinds can howl so bad it'll drive you up a wall. The website floating around about one guys AWIC install says the first pump he used was louder than his entire car and was quite creepy.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
Matt Monson
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by Matt Monson »

Brain,
The flow of the pump you have found is the same as the one that Xephyr recommended to me, and it is pretty quiet from what I heard, but then he does have it buried in the bumper.

As for those Motorcycle coolers, I couldn't find any dimensions. I would worry that they were too small. I am also wary of buying something used for that particular piece just because I am superstitious like that. Many folks buy them used and have no problems. I just like to do it right once...
2000 2.5RS daily driver.
Suby Hai!
TheSubaruJunkie
Fourth Gear

Post by TheSubaruJunkie »

I wouldnt use ebay'd radiators for this :) I would have to source new parts but just was searching ebay to see what was out there.

Too small you say? What temps are we talking about? If the coolant is self contained I dont think it could get too warm.

-Brian
1983 Subaru GL-10 Brat
1986 Toyota 4Runner