New pads for the SS...suggestions.

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Legacy777 wrote:There's absolutely no difference between the rear pads on the 90-94 n/a legacies and 91-94 turbo legacies.

The rotors may be vented, but that doesn't mean anything for the pad shape.

There may be a different part # due to different compound material used on the n/a vs. turbo pads.
Yeah. What he said.

Both turbo and n/a use D471 shaped pads. For those of you curious, the d-plate number says just about everything dimensionally about a pad, but nothing about the compound.

I was just about to order a set of SP performance pads (f+r) and slotted rotors all the way around. The pads are only $100 for front and rear, while the rotors are gonna be $320 for front and rear.

SP performance is supposedly a good pad that isn't super well-known. One of the guys I know in NC put a set on his RS, now he swears by them.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Yeah, I never posted this... I got my shit mixed up. It was the front pads that were backordered, not the rears. That's why. It would make sense for Hawk to keep turbo pads supplied since they're also for 2.5RSs and such. But NO one wants pads for a nonturbo :roll:
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I just got my SP pads in yesterday.

I gotta say, they look really nice. Guess I'll see how they perform once I put them on, though.

I bit the bullet and decided to go with WRX front brakes, since the pads are significantly easier to find. When I got them, I also got a set of rotors, which I promptly turned.

I'll post up a thread once I get everything done.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
mike270
First Gear

Post by mike270 »

So does anyone have part numbers / shapes for these various pads? People keep mentioning these but I haven't been able to find what sizes fit. Do GC 2.5RS pads fit in all corners or are they different entirely?

I'm looking to get either Axxis Ultimates, Hawk, or the like for a 91SS with stock calipers / rotors.

I see D471 mentioned for the rear calipers on the SS's but what about the fronts? D470?
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

mike270 wrote:So does anyone have part numbers / shapes for these various pads? People keep mentioning these but I haven't been able to find what sizes fit. Do GC 2.5RS pads fit in all corners or are they different entirely?

I'm looking to get either Axxis Ultimates, Hawk, or the like for a 91SS with stock calipers / rotors.

I see D471 mentioned for the rear calipers on the SS's but what about the fronts? D470?
For a stock SS, you are looking for D563 in front and D471 for the rear.

The rear pads are the same as the pads for all Legacies up through '99 and all 1.8 and 2.2 Imprezas through 2001.

The front pads, however, are unique to the SS and the 2.2 Impreza for '95 and '96. '97 through '01 use a D721 pad.

If you contact WRXBrakes on Nasioc, he can set you up with some of the SP performance pads for the SS. Maybe not quite Hawk or Axxis level, but much better than the cheap stuff. I am happy with the set I'm running, though I could use Hawks due to my WRX front brake swap.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
mike270
First Gear

Post by mike270 »

Thanks for the info. Looks like neither Hawk or Axxis make pads for the front.

Looks like I'll be going with some EBC yellowstuff instead. Seems like the reviews have gotten better recently compared to what I had read in the past about high rotor wear on the EBC pads.
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Are you going to be racing it?

If not, the RedStuff would be a bit better suited, since it has more grip when not 'up to temp'.

They started using more ceramic pads, which have essentially eliminated the problems people were seeing before.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
mike270
First Gear

Post by mike270 »

Yeah, its in the final stages of full rally prep. That said, I may still go with the red's since there will be a lot of cold starts so if it takes more than a corner or two to heat up the yellows might be hard to get used to.
mike270
First Gear

Post by mike270 »

I just went ahead and got the yellows, and while the fronts fit perfect, the rears seem way to thick. When both pads are in place there is absolutly no room for a rotor to fit. The old pads that were there were much thinner, although the same shape. The box I got has part number "DP4821R" on it which seems right.

Any idea what could be wrong here? Any info would be appreciated so I can get the car back on the road ASAP.
mike270
First Gear

Post by mike270 »

^^Just wanted to update my post above: I'm an idiot. :)

Luckily, it only took me another minute or two after posting on Sat to realize how stupid I was.
High PSI
First Gear

Post by High PSI »

Hey Mike,

Now that you've had some time to use them, how do you like the yellows? Is there a big difference in the cold and hot performance of the pads?

My Legacy is my winter daily driver, but I'm going to be Auto-xing it this summer while my real auto-x car is being rebuilt. So the Legacy is now a winter daily driver/summer Auto-x car. I'm leaning towards the yellowstuff's, but don't want to have to worry about the braking characteristics changing dramatically in the middle of a run as the pads come up to temp.

On the other hand, I'm going to be running R-compound tires, which REALLY do a number on heating up pads, and the only thing worse than suddenly having more braking in the middle of a run, is suddenly having (close to) none when the pads fade.

Also wondering where you got your pads from - I'm trying to find the cheapest place possible.

Thanks!
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

Hawk HPS. Tirerack.com
DBA 4000 Rotors...
Stock size, awesome braking.
Kickin' it old-school.
High PSI
First Gear

Post by High PSI »

Arctic Assassian wrote:Hawk HPS. Tirerack.com
DBA 4000 Rotors...
Stock size, awesome braking.
Are these available front and rear?
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

Has anyone on here actually tried putting OEM pads back on their car after running whatever crappy ones were on there before?

OEM pads are great (at least on the turbo cars). I ran my WRX front brake setup with the stock OEM pads for a couple of sessions at a roadcourse and had minimal fade issues. I only put Hawk HPS up front for the extra heat capabilities. On the rear I just run the OEM pads & rotors.

Honestly, if you have never experienced brake fade the OEM pads overheating, you have no reason to go up to any sort of fancy aftermarket pad (especially if you didn't know your old brake fluid was more likely to boil over first). And you never need more than OEM for street driving, unless maybe you drive downhill a mountain and don't know to downshift.

Makes it easier to find all the parts, anyways. ;)
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)