New pads for the SS...suggestions.

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

shemoves
Second Gear

New pads for the SS...suggestions.

Post by shemoves »

I am not looking for anything crazy, just better than stock at a good price. I might rallyx and/or autox.
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

I am using Carbotech Bobcat pads on my 91SS and really like them. Very little dust and stop great. When I put them on I also installed new Brembo OE discs, with a fresh machining on them. Also installed Goodridge stainless brake lines at that time.
shemoves
Second Gear

Post by shemoves »

Hmm, can't find them anywhere. I have found a site with EBC Green, Red, or Yellows. Are the Greens any good? Also found pads by PBR...sound generic.
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Axxis Metal Masters. I love mine.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
jake15
Fourth Gear

Post by jake15 »

i just put EBC greenstuff pads with freshly turned old rotors in the front... it feels 100% better than the crap napa pads that were there before :D
90' legacy built ej257 gt30r 6spd r180 and brembos Bitches 402whp @22psi :D -sexy red
94' Impreza wagon AWD 2.2ltr rally wagon FTW!
John Drivesabox
Second Gear

Post by John Drivesabox »

I just ordered EBC Red Stuff's and DBA 4000 slotted rotors. Racepages.com has the pads for $80 and they're supposed to be the bees knees. They're ceramic pads that are supposed to offer less dust than conventional pads, better stopping than green stuff and less dust than Yellow Stuff's which are supposed to be full race pads. Those are $100 which is a hell of a deal any way you cut it.

Any of those EBC pads would be great.
[quote="George McFly"] Hey you, get your damn hands off her!
[/quote]

Navy Chief, what's your specialty?
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

I use KVR carbon fibre pads, they're great and dont squeal

Plus the brakedust is all shiny and cool looking 8)
98 Steel Widebody RSTi-RA Superbeast
Brian Mau
In Neutral

Post by Brian Mau »

I use Bendix Ultimate, which is basically the Axxis ULT in USA.
Great street pads, however very dusty (takes roughly 100kays to get back to same "dirtiness" after rim wash) and squeals a bit......
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/id/brianmau]MY92 Atmocharged GX AWD......[/url]
Brian
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

Pagid 'red box' up front, Metal Master Ultimates rear...

Good set up. No fade on 2x track days so far. I also run Goodridge SS lines and Blue fluid...
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

I like the Metal Masters, but am now trying a set of ultimates. And have heard nothing but good things on the Green stuff.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
All_talk
Third Gear

Post by All_talk »

+1 for the Metal Masters, much better feel than stock, good initial bite, smooth progression, easy to modulate. Tho I would agree they are a little dusty.

Just a note, be careful of Carbon/Ceramic/race pads for street use, some of these pads need a fair amount of heat to grab well... could lead to a unpleasant suprise in a panic stop on a cold morning.

Gary
No matter how broke I am... I always seem to find two cents.
auraskate
In Neutral

Post by auraskate »

sbs pro track endurance from the tire rack. Good initial bite, a lot of dust but cheap and work well.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

So, you guys that have used the EBC Green Stuff pads for a while, what do you think?

I'm looking on racepages.com like John suggested, I'm guessing the pad set is for all 4 wheels? It doesn't say front or rear.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

EBC has made improvements in their pad compounds. I don't recall which ones used to get such poor reviews, but you may want to search nabisco and see what's what.

I know Jamie recommended the yellow EBC's for street/track use, and someone (I think patrick olsen) recommended I think reds to me when my mintex wear out
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

To the original poster -

Well, if you want to upgrade for your own reasons, that's fine. But if your motivation is just for getting into autoX or rallyX, then don't sweat it. They won't make a real difference there. Brake upgrades are most important for high-speed scenarios where you could actually fade them (i.e. track or really sick public-road driving).

I say don't upgrade them until you fade them. Some race pads dust more, some squeel, and some don't work well until they heat up. Everyone has a different experience. Lots of pads are not more annoying than stock, but the best you could say about any upgrade is that they cost more and do little (for most people).

I would just get anything mild from a reputable brand. For concrete info, I am running Hawk's more street/autoX oriented pad on my RS, and they are fine except that mine squeel and are really annoying. Do they stop the clock faster? Shrug?
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

"Japanese Performance" magazine, published in UK, writes thoroughly researched articles and they rave about A P Racing brakes and Ferodo DS 2500 pads---as being suitable for track and street.

Front 4-pot brake kit with slotted discs and new rear OE rotors fitted with DS 2500s back and front ++++. :-D

In stop and go traffic at very slow speeds the discs squeal. :(

C$100 for the pads.
Subtle (normally aspirated engines suck):
05 Legacy GT Wagon with Cobb chip.
62 Alfa Romeo Spider- had a 1.6 L with 80 hp, now 2 L with 160 torque. Curb weight 2050 lbs.
93 Leg Twgn fmic, vf34, etc. ((sold))
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

So I asked a few non-Subaru people what kind of pads they used, and the opinions are similar to you guys.

Heard a lot of good things about Hawk pads, and I also heard other tales of EBC's eating rotors.

But in this thread alone, I think I see more mention of Metal Masters than anything else. I think I might give those a shot.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Oh, just so you guys know, I ordered Hawk brake pads last week... and it looks like the rear pads for nonturbos have been backordered since April :cry:

*Formerly DerFahrer*

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The pads on the non-turbo & turbo legacies are identical :?:
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

*scratches head*

Even though the turbo has rear vented rotors?

Well, I can always find out 100% for sure tomorrow.

I checked the Hawk pad part #'s, and they differentiate between nonturbo and turbo...

*Formerly DerFahrer*

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

There's absolutely no difference between the rear pads on the 90-94 n/a legacies and 91-94 turbo legacies.

The rotors may be vented, but that doesn't mean anything for the pad shape.

There may be a different part # due to different compound material used on the n/a vs. turbo pads.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

The OEM pads are different part #'s also. But it's probably what you said, just different pad material.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

mattyg41383
First Gear

Post by mattyg41383 »

I have EBC Green Stuff pads on EBC sport rotors (slotted and dimpled)... They stop incredibly well, but the rotors are noisy, sounds kind of like crickets chirping in a field
-Matt
1993 Legacy SS - auto
1997 Impreza coupe
1986 XT - 14.5s @ 95mph
1990 Legacy wagon "the Red Dragon" -sold (300K miles and it lives on)
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

Legacy777 wrote:EBC has made improvements in their pad compounds. I don't recall which ones used to get such poor reviews, but you may want to search nabisco and see what's what.
I recall reading a lot of posts about the EBC green pads being bad. But, as Josh said, EBC improved the pad material composition and I'm beginning to read good reviews on them.

Shemoves, I got pads from BAP Auto Parts, ceramic ones, for my rear brakes. I didn't have much money at that time so I got those for $24. They actually made an improvement in feel and in stopping distance. That's the first time brake pads have ever made a feelable difference for me. Then again, I've never used the pads already previously mentioned such as Hawks, Bobcats, Axxis, etc. so I have no way of comparing the BAP pads to anything else. (BTW, we met at Steve Jory Subaru one day some months ago. . . ) Of course, telling you about this now doesn't help you when you were looking for pads 4 months ago . . .
'94 TW
rightandtight
First Gear

Post by rightandtight »

Carbotech Bobcats...the best I've had

i've cooked them three times and run rallyx's, still gripping right, very little dust