UHEV Legacy Version 2.0

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Re: UHEV Legacy Version 2.0

Post by SubaruNation »

garett gtr32
Last edited by SubaruNation on Fri May 14, 2010 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Fabbed an uppipe today. It was a pain, to say the least. The turbo is too heavy to use my normal method, so I had to use the engine hoist to hold it in place. I made a bracket to place the turbo where I wanted it, which took about two hours, lol. After that, I made the uppipe which was a tight squeeze with the angle I needed. The turbine housing is only clockable is 9 places, so my options were limited.

I need to add another bracket, since this turbo weighs over 30 lb. After that, I'll rework the downpipe and make new wastegate plumbing.

→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

pretty sure the world is going to stop moving when you get this thing driving. :O
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I've never spent eight hours doing so little. Plus, 35lb turbos kick my ass in the humidity. I took the turbo in and out upwards of ten times to get the wastegate feed figured out, since it is such a tight fit. Grind a little, refit, grind a little more, etc. Anyways, the wastegate has a home, and I just need to finish the bottom of the downpipe and then the wastegate dump. The dump will run across the bottom of the turbo to the flexjoint currently on the DP, unless someone happens to have a shorter one (1.75") laying around for cheap. :smt047

Also, everything will be wrapped since it's a tight fit and my MIG welds are a bit on the ugly side. They'll work, however. Never had one crack in five years for messing with this crap.

→Dan

Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

<3 T-bolts.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

V-band flanges are nice in some respects, but a bit of a pain in others. Not having bolts to line up is really nice, but getting everything to line up is another story. Especially when the turbo is this heavy.
→Dan

HappyFrog
First Gear

Post by HappyFrog »

That is one gigantic turbo, do you expect much more than a billion whp?
Subaru Legacy Turbo 1992 - it's alive (but not done). VEMS ecu, 6mt, Wiseco/Eagle internals, Hybrid GT FMIC, 550cc, TD05 Big 16g @ 22psi, dynoed 294/293.
Now being parted out
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

HappyFrog wrote:That is one gigantic turbo, do you expect much more than a billion whp?

I was thinking around a billion. If I come up a little short, I think I'll be OK :lol:

It takes a lot of turbo to make a good amount of power on pump fuel. I don't want to use race gas or E85, so this will have to do. Plus they sound neat. :-)
→Dan

Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

If you don't make more than a billion hp, I'll punch a child.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Fkyx wrote:If you don't make more than a billion hp, I'll punch a child.

Oh boy. The pressure just went up a notch.
→Dan

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

There's a couple kids next door to me that need a good punch.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

If they deserve it, why should the pressure be on me? Some times a guy needs to take of of number one....
→Dan

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I can't get away with it, I can't convince the dog to eat them (I think she knows it would mean she'd be put down—a noble sacrifice), and my sister won't let my nephew "accidentally" get a hold of my paintball gun turned up to the max fps and go to town on them.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Finished the wastegate plumbing today. That went much smoother.

Reconnecting the downpipe will wait until I make a new intake, rework a charge pipe, and paint all the aluminum stuff.

→Dan

cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Hey Dan, lookin good. I had a question about those v clamps. What's to stop the exhaust from leaking out of the seams? i was thinking about ordering 2 of those for my 3" turbo back which is curretnly 1 whole piece.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

V-bands are machined with a tight enough surface flatness and the clamp puts enough pressure on the two V-bands so that the connection does not require a gasket. They can be more flexible to work with since the connection works the same at any angle.

Once thing that is important is not warping the flanges when welding them. I've done that a couple times.

The other thing of note is making sure you have enough room for the clamp.
→Dan

cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

would you recommend having the clamp on while welding? if tightened would that eliminate any warping that could happen?
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

"The best gasket is no gasket at all." If you have no gasket, there's no chance the gasket will fail.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

cj91legss wrote:would you recommend having the clamp on while welding? if tightened would that eliminate any warping that could happen?

Not a bad idea. I've never though of that myself, actually. +10 points for you.

It's worth a shot. If you do that, take your clamps to the hardware store and get some nuts that are not locking. Some of the locking nuts slowly cut away at the threads and after a half-dozen removals, the bolt is junk. Clamps from ClampCo do this, but yet they are REALLY nice clamps. The nuts seems to be made from titanium.

Also, I recommend getting a can of antispatter spray if you don't already have it. Stainless spatter sitcks to EVERYTHING and you may have noticed from my pics, even after I cleaned everything up with a 3" 50 grit wheel.
→Dan

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Big turbos need big intakes.

I ran over to Fobia's since he was home during the day today and welded the tubing together for my intake. One of the welds is ugly, I know. The arc was moving around on me and I couldn't figure out what was going on, so I reground the tungsten and it fixed it. I'll grind it down and go over it to make it pretty.

I'm looking at filter options, but I'm limited by space. K&N does not publish flowrate capabilities of their filters, which is quite annoying. There are other options though.

The 4" piping fits behind the fender quite well, surprisingly. I still need to add a bracket for the in-fender portion, and a bung for the PCV system.

I'm no professional, but I seem to be getting better. More seat time = nicer welds. I've done better than this, but I was a little hasty and didn't clean like I should have, and the gaps could have been smaller. The welds are a little on the cold side too.

Last edited by 93forestpearl on Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
→Dan

MikeyMeyagi
Second Gear

Post by MikeyMeyagi »

That setup is badass..... Custom fab work is fun huh? i love doing that stuff. Your UP/DP/Dump came out really good man!!
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

MikeyMeyagi wrote:That setup is badass..... Custom fab work is fun huh? i love doing that stuff. Your UP/DP/Dump came out really good man!!
Thanks for the props.

Custom fab work can go smoothly, or be a PITA. In this case, its been a PITA. Tight fitting equipment means ten times more work to make it fit. I spent four hours fitting the intake pieces, and eight hours making the wategate feed.

Here's the leftover intake pieces...

→Dan

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Looks good Dan!

The welds look good. I really would like to get my hands on a welder and start practicing. I just need to finish the motor project....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Fkyx
Third Gear

Post by Fkyx »

I want to learn how to weld. :(
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

The more I do it, the more I learn that the devil is in the details. Clean, fresh material is huge in how easy it ends up being.

I think everyone's first mod should be a welder. I want a TIG welder now, but I don't have $2500-4000 for one.
→Dan