Engine Rebuild Project #2

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Surface scratch on the deck (Now with 100% more rebuild)

Post by Legacy777 »

Well after about a four month hiatus, I got back to working on things last weekend. I had to clean up the AC parts, I've got a leak in the evaporator core and need to replace that. This past weekend I put the motor back in the car after over a year of it being out.

We'll see how my work schedule will cooperate with me finishing things up. I've been working on things at night and on the weekends...grrr

Pics

AC Component Removal
AC Clean Up and EGT Probe Installation
Engine Installation
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

Very clean and organized, very nice Josh looks perfect.
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Thanks NICO. I hope to keep the momentum going and get her running again.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

You will be done soon you have it all under control !
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

You don't mess around with your engine builds do you. Nice work, Josh.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

If you would have used the green masking tape I would for sure say you would be safe from contaminates in your engine. However, with your blue masking tape I'm not so sure...
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

93forestpearl wrote:If you would have used the green masking tape I would for sure say you would be safe from contaminates in your engine. However, with your blue masking tape I'm not so sure...

Shit.....I better rebuild it again.... :P
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Only got a little bit done yesterday. Got the exhaust back on and swapped the connector the knock sensor with a WRX sensor.

Found out that the knock sensors pins are the same between the WRX & Legacy. Here's a little more info.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... 95#p355995

Also, found out the exhaust test pipe is the same length as the cat. Some more info on that.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... 00#p356000

I also found something kind of interesting in the downpipe. It appears that there is some errosion on the inside of the pipe. Most likely due to bend downward, high temps and high gas velocities. Separate post for discussion on that.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=46728
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Worked on the wiring for the oil pressure & temp, and fuel pressure sensors yesterday.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... adwork/28/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Had some small progress yesterday. Got the AWIC back on, and everything's pretty much ready to put the intake manifold back on. When cleaning up the intake manifold I noticed that the teflon tape I had around the IAT sensor & MAP reference port were coated in oil. I didn't use oil resistant tape, so just a note for those of you using it for sealing purposes for oil or gas, make sure you use the yellow teflon tape.

Also, when pulling the IAC valve off, I came across a tear in the check valve. I have a new one though. I kind of suspected it was broken when I heard air hissing out of the IAC tube when I was doing a leak down test. Just another piece that may be prone to failure at high boost levels.

Here's pics

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... adwork/29/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I think you are closer than you'll give yourself credit for....
→Dan

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That's probably true.

I still need to get the oil & fuel pressure sensor lines figured out and routed, but that shouldn't be too big a deal once the intake manifold is installed. Then yeah, it's just little stuff and putting everything back together.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Here's some pics of the yellow oil/gas resistant teflon tape. You'll probably get blank stares if you ask for it at the autoparts store. You can get it at Lowes, Home Depot, or any hardware store that sells stuff for natural gas hookups/valves for hot water heaters, etc.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... eadwork/30
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Finally made some progress this past weekend. I got the intake manifold back on, which was a pretty big milestone. The rest is just bolting parts back on.

My one snafu was that screwed up adding the extra wiring for the oil & fuel pressure sensors. So now I've got to try and pull that wiring back out, add the additional leads for the +5v reference voltage and then try and fit it back. I think I'll be able to do it by just removing the coolant resevoir tank. I'd like to work on that this week, but we'll see how that goes. This coming weekend I've got plans, so I'm not sure how much I'll be able to get done.

I need to order fittings for the pressure sensors to tie into, and I need to figure out where to mount those sensors. I'll start another thread in the electrical forum to see if anyone has any suggestions.

Here's pics from this weekend.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... adwork/31/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Engine Rebuild Project #2

Post by Legacy777 »

Changed the thread title name....it's morphed into issues with existing motor to a complete rebuild.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Well I've been a little lazy with updating things for this build. I've got several updates and really only have a weekend or two more of work.

06/21/2011 - Oil Pressure Sensor Placement Testing

07/08/2011 - Oil Pressure Sensor Installed & Thermal Wrap for Oil Temp Sensor Wiring

The AEM pressure sensor fit right into place where the stock oil pressure switch sits, and worked great with the WRXtra block adapter. The sensor and connector clear the alternator. I was surprised at how well it fit.

I added some thermal shielding on the oil temp sensor wiring. I need to do some touch up. It's bunched up under the AWIC core. I'm probably going to pull some of the shielding down a little further so it's not so noticable under the AWIC. I also need to get some aluminzed high temp tape to wrap around the connector down at the oil pan so it forms somewhat of a seal and dirt and gunk stay out of the wiring loom. Here's a link to the stuff I used: DEI Aluminized Sleeving.

Here's some more info on the research of the different heat shielding products: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=46946

07/09/2011 - Failed AN -06 Fuel Hose Setup

I was going to use some AN fittings and tee into the hose setup for my fuel pressure sensor, but the length of all the fittings ended up being too long. I just didn't like how it fit and how the bends were, so unfortunately I had to scrap that idea. Dan found a 5/16" barb fitting with a 1/8" NPT port, which I've got additional pics below.

07/16/2011 - More Failed AN -06 Fuel Hose Setup & New AC Evaporator Core & Box

Some more pics of the AN fuel setup with some additional elbow fittings that didn't work. I replaced the evaporator core and evaporator box because the old one was leaking.....and since I live in Houston, AC is a must!

07/23/2011 - AC Recharging & AWIC Fluids Filling

Pulled a vacuum on the AC system and put a little bit of a charge on it. I'll have to fill it to spec once the motor is running. I also filled the AWIC system with 75% distilled water, 25% antifreeze, and 1oz / qt of Redline water wetter.

07/29/2011 - Turbo Heat Shield or No Turbo Heat Shield?

I was told that I should put on a turbo heat shield and that it should help lower under hood temps. I got a hold of a stock setup. I cut the stock setup, so it would fit around my downpipe, which really wasn't that bad. I'm not sure whether I like the looks of the stock heat shield. It looks kind of goofy. My turbo is ceramic coated, so I don't know.... Once it's running, I'll try and take some under hood temps with and without the shield to see if it really makes a difference or not.

I started a thread in the exhaust forum with a poll, so if you've got any other suggestions, let me know: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=47588

07/30/2011 - CFM's 5/16" Barbed to 1/8" NPT Fuel Adapter

This is the adapter I am going to use to tie in the fuel pressure sensor. There appeared to be a little bit of material in the threads. I chased it with a tap, but the threaded part only goes down so far and does not extend into the main flow path. I think I got most of the burs out, but will probably run a pipe cleaner or something similar through to make absolutely sure I got everything.

Here's some more info on the fitting and my research: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=47501
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Played hookie on Friday to work on the car and I got a lot of miscellaneous things done this weekend.

There's not a ton of pictures compared to the amount of work I did. It was a lot of little stuff, getting the wiring sorted out. I had to redo the battery leads because they wouldn't reach, and wired up the oil pressure sensor idiot light on the dash to the Link as well as redoing the EGT sensor. The old defi EGT didn't work and needed an amplifier but was a type J unit. Anyway, got the new EGT in, and did an ice & boiling water bath to check its accuracy. It was dead on. All that's left is to prime the oil system to build some pressure, put the intake back on and break in the motor.

08/02/2011 - Misc. Fuel Pressure Sensor Fittings

08/04/2011 - Fuel Pressure Sensor Installation

08/05/2011 - Rewrapped Oil Temp Sensor Wiring & "Almost" Finished In The Engine Bay

08/06/2011 - New EGT Sensor & Amplifier & "Mostly" Finished
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

She gonna run this weekend? Or are you traveling....
→Dan

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

No she didn't run this weekend, I was in California visiting my Grandmother. I'm planning to start her up Friday evening!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Fired up the motor on Friday and drove it around the block a little bit. I think I've got some air in the lifters, and it didn't seem to get better, so I'm going to pull the valve covers & rocker assemblies out next weekend and bleed them.

The tune is going to need a bit of tweaking....that's for sure.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

SiCkSTi04
Second Gear

Post by SiCkSTi04 »

awesome work as always Josh, I'd like to know more about your pcv system/vacuum lines setup :)
-04 WRX STi - Java Black Pearl - Cobb Stage 2
-02 Forester Type S premium - Platinum Silver Metallic - Stock
-92 Legacy Sport Sedan - Onyx Black Pearl - Stock
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Thanks!

For the PCV system, it's kind of a hybrid setup, but still retains the stock functionality. I left the plastic crossover pipe that goes to the heads alone. For the main vent off the back of the motor I used an IAC valve hose for the turbo motor to get the line "out". From there, I reduce down from 3/4" to 5/8" or 1/2" and go into the catch can. I then go out of the catch can and tee into a line that goes from the PCV to the intake elbow. For the valve covers, I have a 1/2" line coming out, reduce up to 3/4" and have a carburator type foam in the 3/4" fittings, then reduce down to 1/2" again, and then tee into the intake elbow.

I put the foam to act as a coalescer for the oil.

Here's a couple more pictures
http://main.experiencetherave.com/subaru/images/td05/07
http://main.experiencetherave.com/subaru/images/td05/04

If you have any questions, let me know.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I finally got around to flashing the Link ECU to the latest firmware earlier this week. However upon doing so I immediately had issues trying to connect to the ECU. After trying a bunch of different combinations of things and talking with one of the US Link Dealers we got it figured out. It turned out to be an issue with the upgrades to the CAN system and the fact that I had the DisplayLink cable plugged into the ECU, even though it wasn't connected to the DisplayLink.

PCLink version 4.6.0.601 is last version before the CAN system got a major overhaul. This version of PCLink & firmware worked with my ECU after downgrading the firmware. Once I went any higher, I couldn't connect. We finally determined the DisplayLink cable being plugged in was the cause. Once I removed the cable from the ECU, I could connect to the ECU with the latest version of PCLink, 4.8.1.1033.

The Link Dealer indicated that there is a hardware upgrade that can be made to my G3 ECU as well as other G4 ECU's that have similar issues that will allow the ECU to communicate with the DisplayLink and PCLink at the same time. So I just sent the ECU back to Link in NZ for the upgrades.

So we play the waiting game again. If I would have known this was an issue, I would have taken care of it a while back....but I guess that's the breaks. Unplugging the cable and plugging it back in just wouldn't work long term since the ECU is under the passenger carpet. I'd have to unplug it any time I would want to connect to the ECU. Assuming no delays in customs, the ECU should be there next Tuesday, and hopefully they'll get it done in enough time it can hop a ride on the US Link dealer's monthly shipment and save me some costs on shipping.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

A year with the car down? I know how that goes Josh. I've had my car down for about a year, but mainly for minor stuff. Just about to get it road worthy again and I'm real excited to drive it again. =)
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold