stiffen me up without lowering

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

206er
Fifth Gear

stiffen me up without lowering

Post by 206er »

Does any companies make stiffer springs for my 91 4wd wagon that do not lower, or lower slightly? I'd like a firmer ride but need the height for my driveway. I do not want to get those lift springs. (why lift a car? you might as well just get an suv or truck) However, if they are stiffer, they can be cut a little for desired height? anyone have any ideas?
oh, what about dampers too? I have heard good things about gr2's and such... does any company make a kit including springs and struts?
jeremy
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

pretty dead around here...
LegacyLuvr
In Neutral

Post by LegacyLuvr »

I just got finished myself with looking for non lowering springs for my 91 Legacy Sedan and found that it was near impossible to find regular springs in the aftermarket sector. All that is out there to my knowledge are the aftermarket lowering springs and Whiteline are the only ones that make the lowering springs for the 91 Legacy with the conical shaped rear springs that is common on the 90-91's. I would suggest, if you don't have a problem with your original springs, to use them with the GR2's and those alone may be all you need to do. If you want to get a new pair of springs, you may want to go to subaruparts.com or 1stsubaruparts.com and give them a call and ask them to look around their national warehouses to see if they can find you the springs for your car. The GR2's are a stiffer strut than the stock Subaru struts so you will get your firmer ride from the struts alone. I just put them on my car and the ride is much firmer but not harsh. I really like them alot.. Feels like a new car. I am having a little funky problem with mine though which was there before I replaced the struts.. I just finished posting my saga under "My Soob has an attitude problem.. " There is some discussion on the pros and cons of cutting springs too on this board at this link
viewtopic.php?t=511
As far as a strut/spring set, as far as I can tell from all of my shopping around, all is sold seperately, but I am not 100% on that.
Glen

1991 Legacy LSI FWD Sedan
2000 Acura TL3.2 White Pearl/Navigation
1973 Olds Cutlass Supreme Coupe (restored land yacht)

http://www.pbase.com/txguy/subaru_legacy
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Instead of telling us you want the car "stiffer" tell us exactly what you want to improve.
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

I guess I'm looking for less body roll, more neutral handling, although its not all that bad right now. thanks for the suggestion on the gr2's, I'm gonna get some of those soon. I was thinking about it, and maybe I'll spring for the lowering springs when I've got the dough. Ive got a rabbit gti project goin on too though, and moneys a little tight.
laterz
jeremy
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Sounds like front and rear sway bars would do exactly what you want without hurting "over bump" ride quality or ride height.

Examnle, for a short time one of my legacy had 22mm front and rear sway bars with stock springs and Gr2. It was very nice because the ride was smooth yet body roll was non existant
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

yes, that sounds awesome. I'm going to get one of Subiegal's 22mm fronts and probably a 22mm rear soon. im gonna wait on the gr2's tho.
jeremy
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

The only problem to look for is that you will be stressing the sway bar alot if you have soft suspension (relative).

Meaning the sway bar has to work even harder if the springs and struts arent trying very hard. This causes bushing failure, or even damaged mounts. Nothing serious though.

Although you dont want to lower I suggest finding a set of front springs with higher rates, say 200 pounds. The front springs on our legacy stock is VERY soft (125 pps2 if I remember right) while the rear is something like 190.
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

Stiffer springs just in the front? if there are stiffer springs other than lowering springs, what are they? are there other models of legacy that the suspension corresponds to my 91 wagon? I have heard about some combo of legacy springs and gc8 strut bearings, is this a viable option?
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

You just need to look at the spring diameter, and find another subaru with the correct rates. The only variable then would be height.
FrmRgz2Rchz
First Gear

Post by FrmRgz2Rchz »

Will the GR2's alone prevent body roll?
Andy Rose
1993 Subaru Legacy Sport Sedan
2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STI
1999 Hyundai Accent
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

with a softer suspension is fatigue of the actual swaybar an issue? or do the bushings provide a weak link?
jeremy
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

AFAIK, the bushings and the swaybar mounts will take the beating. The bar itself should be fine.

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT