liberty air-water installation help

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

teaguespeed
First Gear

liberty air-water installation help

Post by teaguespeed »

I'm wondering if theres anyone in northwest washington that would want to help me install a liberty air-water on my legacy, could be an interesting project, i don't really have the know-how. I live on Whidbey Island but am on the mainland often. I'm not quite ready to do it yet, still gotta get some stuff, but want to start soon.
Thanks, Teague
'99 Impreza L 2.2 powa!

"If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style."
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

Sorry to steal your thread Teague...

I'm installing my AWIC right now. I have the coolant resevoir relocated to just get that out of the way (and no broken nipples from rubbing against the IC). I modified the ignitor bracket so that was out of the way. While I was in the area, I put in the STi engine pitch-stop mount. Next I just tryed to put the IC into place to see if it will fit. Big problem... A/C line will not allow the IC to drop far enough to line up with the throttle body. The A/C line is also sitting right against the pitch-stop mount (which I assume is bad). The STi unit is much thicker than the original thin metal rod. But I don't know if switching the mount back will get me the 3/8" or so I need, plus it will then still be rubbing on the mount.

Any ideas from people that have done the install? I am NOT willing to give up A/C. A mechanic said that I could loosen the fittings on the line to run it under the mount. And this would be a pain evacuating the system and refilling, etc. (I'm running old R-12 and it's still very cold....) I have pics and will post them soon, thanks.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
zak
First Gear

Post by zak »

I put the ac line on the other side of the dog-bone engine mount. This clears it out of the way so that the intercooler will fit. Just unbolt the mount, and force the ac line on the other side. This worked for me, now 2 years down the line.

Teague- I am in Seattle if you really need help. What I found out from my install is that it was actually quite easy. The only real problem was the turbo to intercooler piping. After trying a couple different setups, I had a local (in portland) shop make something up out of a silicon pipe. Just make *positive* that whatever you are using fits.

Also, when I bought the heat exchanger for up front from a radiator shop, I had them mount it for me in front of the radiator. From there, hook up the pump (i ran it to a manual switch) and water tubing and you are done!
Zak Malbin
1993 Legacy Turbo
Boost +, AWIC, 3" turbo back, intake, trailer hitch, etc.
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

Hey Zak. I assume you have the original skinny metal mount? I think I should put mine back in before attempting something of that sort. Maybe pad the bar a little some way? I don't know what that pipe connects to past the rubber grommet in the firewall, but excessive pressure surely is bad if it is not pliable.

I also am wary of whether the tube I have will fit from the IC to the compressor outlet. The diameter is too big for the turbo side. I'll have to post the pics, but I might be able to cut the piece and run a piece of silicone to connect that and the turbo so I keep the recirculation valve bung (which is the correct size). Sorry about the thoughts out loud... but I just figured out a whole lot in my head. :mrgreen:
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

The turbo to IC pipe will not work. Unless you get a newer turbo or my T-bird compressor swap, it's clocked wrong and has a smaller outlet. But you can make some piping and get the IC in like zak did.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt