Subaru convoy = street racing

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

NuwanD
Second Gear

Subaru convoy = street racing

Post by NuwanD »

Hi guys, yesterday a group of 8 subarus from the toronto subaru club including myself was pulled over and charged with street racing. We were doing the speed limit and were on our way to bancroft for the rally of the tall pines in a convoy.

Link to TSC here
http://www.toronto-subaru-club.com/cgi- ... =17;t=3903

Just need to get this injustice noticed. Apparently our cars are set up for street racing (1 sti, 1 wrx, 4 gc8 imprezas, 1 97 legacy and my legacy turbo)... also my auxillary fog lights are apparently a racing mod. With the exception of 1 vehicle all the cars look almost bone stock from the outside.
Nuwan
1992 Open Class Legacy Turbo
2004 Forester XT
2000 Impreza 2.5RSC (Supercharged)
1990 Rover Mini 1000
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

lawyer up. one should be able to handle all cases as one and you could split the cost 8 ways.

i surely do hope this gets thrown out. i hate bull from the cops. i don't get it much anymore since i only have a wagon and a dark 4-door sedan... but i definitely remember what it was like. some definite experiences come to mind... the complete bull stuff never went anywhere thankfully (what the #@!%^%&* is wreckless operation on private property???)
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Being uneducated on the process of bringing street racers to justice, how can they possibly charge you with street racing if you all were obeying the speed limit? They are going to fine you based on total suspicion? What happened to "innocent until proven guilty"? If I were in all this, i would be uncontrollably infuriated... :evil:

Hope you are recognized as innocent as you really are...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
STi_GUY
First Gear

Post by STi_GUY »

Similar instances happen here in North Carolina. In my town we have the Nascar Technical Institute(or NTI fer short). The uniform includes a bright blue T-Shirt. They get pulled non-stop. Its nuts. I know quite a few of them and none of the citations held up in court. Its simply HARASSMENT. Hope you get clear.
Cody
1994 Legacy Ti Wagon (Estate)
2.4L of N/A fury :)
Awesome vendor: http://home.att.net/~teaguesauto/index.htm
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

In hate cops I wish they'd all go away and I could just rely on myself for my own protection and that of others I care about. I'd do a better job (it would be near impossible not to). Child molesters and rapists are running around and they're harrassing people for BS?! Who are the bigger criminals; those who commit crimes or those who are employed to stop them, but don't? I'll go with the cops - at least you know the score with a technical criminal and you have even odds of defending yourself.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

We had an event similar to that, though it was in early 2002 i think. We had a few WRXen, a ton of GC8s, and my TW.

We drove up Big Cottonwood Canyon, at something of a brisk pace, got to the top and took some pictures and hung out till it started to rain.

Shortly after we'd left on the way back down, we were all pulled over by two Sheriffs, in a line, and he checked us all for anything outstanding. No tickets, because they hadn't been there to witness us driving, and were relying on a tip from some dumbass cycle riders who said that we were racing up two wide. Everyone was let go and told to stay under the limit.

Your situation is just bullshit. I'd definitely find someone who can look at the law and find out how bad they're misinterpreting it.

Dave
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

That's complete bullshit... I have nothing against cops except when they harass car enthusiasts for no reason, we get that constantly here in CT, seems like they have nothing better to do than harras people with modded cars :evil: :evil:
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

got pulled over a few years ago. Cop saw me at a stop light.

"do you know how fast you were going?"
"well, i was stopped when you pulled out of that cross street"
"Huh. Can i see your liscense and registration?"
"sure, here"
"So, where are you headed?"
"The boy scout office"
"Right. And i suppose you're an eagle scout?"
"yep."
"can i see in your trunk?"
"No. Can you quit detaining me if you dont have a citation?"
"get out of here"

And we dont have enough police force to investigate burglaries.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Reminds me of when I got pulled over in burlington or carnation....somewhere in that neck of the woods.

It was on my trip from houston to seattle. I drove all that way no issues with cops.....get off of I-90, go into the small towns.....light was turning yellow....I accelerated to get out of the intersection.....slow back down....then some cop pulls me over.

he comes to the car

"do you always drive like an idiot" (or something to that extent)

me: "excuse me, what do you mean"

cop: "that light back there, you went flying through"

me: "I accelerated to get through the yellow light"

.....you know the rest.....he asked where I was coming from.....I just told him eastern wa.....:lol: I didn't feel like dealing with his shit, and I knew if I said houston, he'd hassle me more. he had to get back to his post in watching some stupid parade thing.....so needless to say i went along my merry way.......

never fails....I can drive 2900+ miles with zero issues.....come into seattle area and the morons come out of the woodwork.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

Keep us updated Nuwan. I'll be in Toronto early January, is that near you?

NuwanD
Second Gear

Post by NuwanD »

thanks for the support guys :)

it's a very frustrating and upsetting thing for all members of the convoy to endure, but we're working hard to have justice served.

This was in bancroft, approximately 2 hours north of toronto, and i'll be sure to keep you guys updated... court date is in january

take care
Nuwan
1992 Open Class Legacy Turbo
2004 Forester XT
2000 Impreza 2.5RSC (Supercharged)
1990 Rover Mini 1000
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

good luck with this
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

First off, I want to say that I'm sorry, totally bites, and the police officer was way out of line, but....

I dont hate cops, in fact I know a few that are very cool, and dont pull the kind of stupid shit that that officer did. It's a damn shame that there are so many good police officers around, who only want to do the right thing, but the few sluts that piss off everyone screw it up for all of them.

Do I think profiling is right? NO. Do I think that cops have a reason to profile? YES. If there werent so many screwoffs that riced out their cars and went racing in crowded public streets, there would be no problem. But there are, and thats where we pick up the stigma. I dont blame police officers for connecting modified vehicles and dumb driving, but that's just me. If you're going to drive a modified car, you're going to have to deal with the (unfortunate) consequenses. Modified vehicles draw alot of attention from everyone, not just cops. I've been a victim of profiling too. Yes, it sucks, and yeah i was mad, getting a ticket for 14 over when I was clocked twice going 10 over is bullshit, but ya know, I got it deferred. This was less than 2 months after getting my drivers license and driving my lowered crx with a body kit, intake, wheels, etc. I've now been driving my stock subby wagon for over 1.5 years, and I've only been pulled over once for speeding, and that's when I had a giant duct tape spoiler, hood scoop, and "custom" flame job, guess what? No ticket, and I used to drive like a maniac in my wagon, because I know, it's all about the kind of car you drive.

$.02
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

Yeah, woohoo, I've been hassle free for about say 8 months or so. No one bothers me in my wagon and I loooove the Legacy. The car just screams 40 year old woman out getting groceries for her soccer player kids at home.... :lol: I've actually seen cops crane their necks to look into my car (through the tinted windows.... :) ) only to look away a couple of seconds later. That's a new phenomenon for me.

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I definitely get less harrassment in this car than I ever did in my more attention-getting cars, but Nuwan D said their cars appeared stock, too so that's what pisses me off. I'll just say what I say ever time I get pulled over (they always give me a ticket anyway since I'm a man) Every six minutes in this country a woman is raped. How many six-minute blocks of time are you going to waste with me tonight?

Injustice to me I can handle its when others that I care about get hurt and nobody does anything about it or lets me do anything since the cops are useless that I get pissed off. Oh a woman getting attacked? Na, we can pull this guy in the minivan over for 40 in a 30. Oh yeah, stopping rapists costs money... Whoops. My mistake, I forget what everything's about sometimes.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

Yeesh. . . been around PLENTY of cops lately in the STi. . . and in almost a month, not so much as a dirty look or a "following". Then again, the power is a humbling experience so I don't tend to drive it like I did my last couple of cars. :P

I know sooner or later it will happen, and it may or may not be fair. Chances I take knowing I drive a car with a wing that makes C-130s jealous.
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

How is this going, Nuwan?

I will be in Toronto from January 8-14th, how close is this to you?