OE WRX exhaust on NA Legacy

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

SubaLegacy
In Neutral

OE WRX exhaust on NA Legacy

Post by SubaLegacy »

Beautiful. Hopefully I'll get pics soon. I started with stock Legacy muffler and went to a Magnaflow Turbo something or other and it sounded sweet but after about a year I decided I wanted something more stock and quieter. The WRX muffler on the Legacy is awesome. I have a short ram and a K and N cone filter and with that the sound is exactly where I want it. The car seems better on gas and better acceleration too. It just goes to show the boxters need a little more back pressure and less free flow. I admit it wasn't quite perfect though, so anyone else trying this will have to live with having an exhaust shop extend the rear part of the WRX exhaust to mate it to the legacy's and change the hangers a little plus it is a little bit crooked but I think it looks good and my friend said he wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't mentioned it.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Have someone drive your car around and you listen to it. It whistles....
SubaLegacy
In Neutral

Post by SubaLegacy »

why does it whistle? Hmm, kinda funny.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

So it does? Thought so. Every NA car with a WRX muffler whistles at one time or another. Even older subarus (including turbos) whistle sometime. I only remember this because my friend and I had a gl-10 beater and the muffler was gone. We welded a WRX muffler UPSIDE down :lol: to make it fit. After it whistled I remember reading on Nasioc about whistling, usually on an RS. I also remember a few legacy with the issue.
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

My brother's RS did it when he stuck a WRX muffler on. He had a place change the tips to stop it. His sounded more like birds chirping than anything else, and only when he lifted off the gas.
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
970subaru
First Gear

Post by 970subaru »

interesting... what size is the stock wrx exhaust and will it fit the legacy wagon? if not are the bends similar, ie lengthening midpipe to fit?
I love to case.
Finn1
In Neutral

Post by Finn1 »

The other day I was at the Auto Hobbyshop and was looking at a stock WRX. An idea popped into my head.

If a WRX after market header w/rear exit would clear the crossmember then the downpipe back exhaust would line up just right. Just have to get a straight pipe/cat to put in place.

This would get rid of that horrible kink at the headpipe/cat joint. Does anybody know if a turbo header would clear a N/A crossmember?

Think I will start looking into this.

Todd
If it isn't broke, fix it 'til it is!
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

no it wont. It also wont clear the waterpump.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.