Who has replaced their own clutch?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Who has replaced their own clutch?

Post by douglas vincent »

How long does it take to replace a clutch in these AWD critters? I have a 90 wagon. Any special tools other than the little plastic clutch line up tool needed?

When I had the old 70's subarus my best time in replacing the clutch was 3 hours start to finish. This included pulling the engine as that was the only way to get tranny out as they would not drop from beneath.

Be nice if it was this easy on the new legacies.

Thanks
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

It'll probably take longer than three hours, but I'd try pulling the motor if you can, IMO it's easier and makes things more accessible than working underneath the car. Subaru's output shafts have more splines than some older cars I've worked on (more engineering overkill), requiring a little more finesse to get the engine back in, but it's still not that bad if you work carefully or if you've done that sort of thing before.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

Shop had to pull the engine on my turbo to get the new clutch/flywheel in, said they were having a beast of a time trying with the engine in. Sounds like you should just plan on pulling it... and while you're at it you can replace all those pesky seals that start to leak after fighting pressure AND gravity.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)