Couple of quick Q's

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

carfreak85
First Gear

Couple of quick Q's

Post by carfreak85 »

OK, so when did the facelift happen? were there any changes to the running gear in the turbo cars at this point? Finally, did any years not have the automatic seatbelts, or do they all have them?
1975 Superstar Wagon
1984 GL-10 Turbo-Traction Wagon & Hardtop
1987 & '87.5 RX coupes
1987 RX Type-RA
2002 WRX sedan
2019 Outback 2.5i Limited
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

HEY! You're in Bellevue!!!!! :D

I'm in Bothell, my good man.

Dunno as much about your questions, though. . . . except the auto belts were only a handfull of years. :P
vrg3
Vikash

Re: Couple of quick Q's

Post by vrg3 »

carfreak85 wrote:OK, so when did the facelift happen?
In North America, the facelift started in the 1992 model year.
were there any changes to the running gear in the turbo cars at this point?
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=518
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=589
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=14172
Finally, did any years not have the automatic seatbelts, or do they all have them?
US models all had them. At least some Canadian models did not.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

carfreak - I love your garage! Is that really an '84 MT wagon?! I thought they were only autos.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

Yup facelift in 92 here, 91 overseas, and all Canadian Legacy's didn't have auto belts.

Mark,
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
carfreak85
First Gear

thanks!

Post by carfreak85 »

Yeah, I converted the turbo wagon to a manual, not quite done yet due to some terminal mantinance problems. So, opinions on the ABS systems, wich is better? I like 4channel, but the 3 channel one says that it can control each wheel independently. I kinda like the 91 model, but the later version seems to be better over all. But what years do the auto belts come on, I hate those!!!
1975 Superstar Wagon
1987 & '87.5 RX coupes
1987 RX Type-RA
2002 WRX sedan
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

FWIW, my vote is for a 91. It came with a rear LSD, oil cooler, and the brakes . . . well, I'm not sure about the comparison between the 91s and the 92-94s but my 91 stops BOATLOADS better than my 97 2.5GT!! The abs actually works rather than locking up under very slippery and bumpy conditions. But that's just my personal opinion.

However, the 92-94s will have less miles (usually).
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I think the auto belts on the US models went away in '93. IIRC my sister's didn't have them. I think if the car has airbags, you should be safe on the belts as one or the other was used to satisfy the requirement for some form of passive safety feature, although I've seen some other cars with both.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

Nope, all of the 93's had the auto belts. In fact, I think all of the BC BF's in the US got the auto belts. Who's got a '94 to double check this?

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Well, I'm positive (unless I happened to check a Canadian market car) that the '94's don't have the belts since I test drove one and I distinctly remember it not having them. It was a weird car, though, as it also had an AWIC, yet it appeared whoever had owned it treated it like any other car.

Steve
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Imported RS?

Did any countries get a LHD RS?
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

It was an Aegean blue (or something) Legacy turbo 5MT sedan. Standard badging and interior and gauges were imperial (I looked at a known Canadian car that had metric).

Steve
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Strange. Definitely a turbo legacy anomaly.

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I wish now I had gotten pictures, but at the time I didn't realize the AWIC wasn't standard. I suppose it could've been fitted, but it seemed strange that everything else appeared stock (incl. turbo).

Steve
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

1991 is the best year. Oil cooler standard and LSD and a USABLE under ash tray pocket to name a couple.
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

ciper wrote:1991 is the best year. Oil cooler standard and LSD and a USABLE under ash tray pocket to name a couple.
Hey now, my 92 has the good under ash pocket because I don't have an air bag. :wink: Wouldn't mind having the oil cooler and rear LSD though. :D
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
carfreak85
First Gear

well

Post by carfreak85 »

still need someone to check the seatbelts, but I think that the oil cooler i could do myself (porbably bigger too) and the LSD is easily converted. Who has driven a 91 and a later car and can tell me which ABS system is better? The pocket I dont care about, mostly it those belts i cant stand!
1975 Superstar Wagon
1987 & '87.5 RX coupes
1987 RX Type-RA
2002 WRX sedan
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

I've been almost decapitated multiple times by my seatbelts. You may just want to look into getting canadian parts from one of our brothers in the land up north, and swapping them out. :)
teaguespeed
First Gear

Post by teaguespeed »

yeah i hace been nearly strangled by seatbelts too, ya know, when you try to get out of the car too fast after opening the door. what is this oil cooler you people speak of? isnt it cust incoporated into the radiator? i have a '91 automatic btw.
'99 Impreza L 2.2 powa!

"If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style."
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

The oil cooler is exactly like the WRX, 1991 subaru legacy turbo use the exact same water pump as an 02+ WRX btw. That also proves its thebest year :lol:

legacy92ej22t: I thought 92's had drivers airbag standard?
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Option in 92, standard in 93 I believe. My friends 93 has the airbag but my 92 definitely does not. :)
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

ciper - But we do have to admit the lighting is terrible on the 91s... even though the 91s are awesomer in every other regard.

Matt's got it about the airbag. Optional in 92, standard in 93.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

vrg3 wrote:even though the 91s are awesomer in every other regard.
Except looks, how nasty :P

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

mTk wrote:
vrg3 wrote:even though the 91s are awesomer in every other regard.
Except looks, how nasty :P

MK
Here, here!

:lol:
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

hey, at least my 91 doesnt look like a corolla!