Clunking differential and brake shudder on 1992 Legacy Turbo

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kip
In Neutral

Clunking differential and brake shudder on 1992 Legacy Turbo

Post by kip »

I have a clunking noise coming from the rear diff on my legacy. Its a very solid metalic thud when I drive slowly over bumpy roads. If I slowly swerve back and forth, the clunking coincides with the directional shift. Folks at Midas checked the differential and found it was very low on oil. (courtesy of AutoMotion in SF, CA for *NOT* doing the work they charged me for). Midas flushed the diff and put in good quality synth oil but the sound is getting louder.

I am also getting a bunch of shudder through the wheel and brake pedal under light to moderate braking. The shudder goes away under heavy braking and the brakes work fine.

Since the brakes have all new pads all around and new rotors up front, I am thinking the brake shudder is the result of the differential problem.

Do I even want to know what a new diff will cost? Time for a WRX?

-Kip
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

It may not be the differential, Id check your lateral links and the strut tops first.

Did you properly brake in the new pads/rotors? They might just have uneven pad deposits. I doubt a rear differential problem would be felt through the wheel, it would come from your seat more.
kip
In Neutral

Post by kip »

ciper wrote: Did you properly brake in the new pads/rotors? They might just have uneven pad deposits. I doubt a rear differential problem would be felt through the wheel, it would come from your seat more.
I think I am feeling the shudder through the pedal and seat more than the wheel. Maybe the rear discs are shot. Will check.